Author Topic: John F's DIY: The teaser boom  (Read 5524 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
John F's DIY: The teaser boom
« on: April 13, 2016, 01:16:28 PM »
I saw this contraption by Bonze Lures (Bonze Dredge Boom http://www.bonzelures.co.nz/product/1337898),  while surfing the net, and decided to build me something similar.

My primary objective is to pull my DIY dredge bars (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=17419.0), but after testing it last weekend, it can pull any teaser.

I had pieces of s/s pipes lying around in the shed, so cut it about 80 cm long, made a groove at the base to fit in the gunnel's rod holder and attached an old Penn Long Beach 268 reel I wasn't using any more. A 6 mm s/s eye bolt and about 15 m of 2 mm mono complete the setup.

Now I can retrieve the teasers quickly whenever we get a bite.
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline tkei

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1226
  • Cred: 92
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: John F's DIY: The teaser boom
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 01:21:39 PM »
Nice, BUT will that old reels drag be able to handle the drag created by the dredge?


Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: John F's DIY: The teaser boom
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 01:26:28 PM »
Good point! Will see this weekend...

Tested it in flat waters inside the bay for about 5-10 min at 5 knots ... it withstood the drag....

If it fails completely, I think I'll make a plan with a 6/0 Penn Senator... if I can get one cheap...
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: John F's DIY: The teaser boom
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 06:49:18 PM »
The tuna fleet in cpt uses a similar setup for chunking , but they obviously beef up the stainless and reel .


I have wondered if it would not be useful to pull teasers , so thanks now I know .
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: John F's DIY: The teaser boom
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 03:28:51 PM »
Good point! Will see this weekend...

Tested it in flat waters inside the bay for about 5-10 min at 5 knots ... it withstood the drag....

If it fails completely, I think I'll make a plan with a 6/0 Penn Senator... if I can get one cheap...

Tested the dredges and the reel... trolled for about 4 h.... no worries! It took the beating but I had to tight that drag to the max.... looking for an old Penn 6/0 just to be safe... 
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal