Was not sure to post this under DIY or boating but here goes...
I wanted a battle station for my boat as did not want to fit a chair so looked around! well the Battle station I liked the look of was almost $1600 - err even earning dollars that was crazy as would have to still ship it and pay duty and vat on R26600-000

... wifey would veto that so decided to go back to looking for a chair but was not keen on anything I saw and really had my mind set on a battle station as we fish stand up with Black Magics.
I knew even a self build would not be cheap but went for it.
1
I wanted wood and was not prepared to compromised with farmed teak from African stock so ordered a 2,2m X 330mm X 50mm Burmese Plank - this was to be the most expensive item on the shopping list. (R5500)
2
Needed rod holders and I looked at all on the market and settled on the Maxels - Just liked the look and feel of them. ( R750 Each)
3
Pedestal - I looked around and eventually opted for a fixed slide unit that suited what I wanted and settled on one from Central Boating that fitted the bill and weight rating was good. Not that some rods would be a threat to a fat guy in a seat! R2950-00
4
SS fastners, inserts and screws - Top fast came to the party for what I needed - wanted 8mm inserts but only 6mm were available - this was not a problem. Total R500
5
I have SS bolt holes in the deck as anchor point but the pedestal would not come near them so I arranged a 850mm X 350mm X 4.5mm Base plate in 316SS from a mate of mine at no charge - will prob have to take him fishing but don't see that as a cost - just another good excuse to get on the water. ( Gerhard - you might have to join Simon!!!)
6
I wanted the cutting board insert - so bought a piece of 10mm thick HDPE for R350.
7
Wood work - I could have done this myself but with limited time I have paid a carpenter R1200 to join the plank and shape and polish it with the HDPE insert ( I will cut my own holes for the rod fitting and recess the pedestal.
8
Cushioning - I will sort this out when I get to SA but Anton is looking for some material.
9
Gimbal - I have not bothered with this as yet as plan to try and use the battle station for the compi next week and there was no time - I will do this as a later project.
So we sit at about R 13k with the courier charges and bit... but without the Gimbal - a far cry from the R26k and as I have a Tig welder and plenty stainless stock the last item should only cost me time.
I expect the woodwork to be completed and collected tomorrow and then I will receive the rod holders on sunday so hope to be ready for TOMT 2016...
Pics.
1 The basic idea - mine will look similar but with some slight personal touches.
2 Expensive plank!!!
3 Pedestal base...