This thread is for any reports or info on interesting things you hear this summer season in the Western Cape - Feel free to post any news, stories or pics you might have. I will try post regular weather and other info here but if you don't have a bouy weather account I do highly recommend getting one - it is very useful and comes with a phone App which is great for at sea if you don't have a new fancy fandagled overlay plotter thingys....
Western Cape in my terms is from Dassen Island to Mossel Bay - but hey who cares if you got something and it not in the area - post it in this thread - we want to hear about it! anything fishing will not be considered a hi jack...
We are in for a big El Nino weather year and sea temp levels in the Pacific are already at new highs and whilst it does not bode well for Aussies and Phillipinos it could be good for the Western Cape fishing and the California drought!
I have been chatting to many of the Cape boys ( Spearos and fishermen) and things are going crazy...
An ignobilis was shot by a spearo ( and lost - but seen by many witnesses ) at cape point and a Prodical was caught by fishermen in amongst the snoek!!!
I can still believe the Prodical - but Ignobilis in the Cape!!!
There are good fish off the point - Stewart informs me there are 2 big pieces of fish(yellow tail) around Rockies and the point. Big YFT and lots of longies also been caught between Bellows and the dumping Grounds - Anton of O2 fish has confirmed this as he had good catches himself but failed with the surface lures. I have also seen some nice pics of BIG YFT from the point... so not just rumours.
I have heard 2 second hand reports of 90kg YFT caught on Poppers and stick baits but have few details. Gavin of Mac Diver confirmed a spearo also seeing and iggy in the water but was not shot.
TM (Tim) you have heard something about these?
I have heard of good shore fish (Kob etc ) from Lenny and others... so All good. The forecast is for plenty of SE which is very good for the Fishing in the Struis Area ( as long as does not blow too hard for too long). from the boats it is mixed bag and there are tail around so the fish are there but no reports from the deep spots ( 12mile banks, Alphards or 45's). If I hear anything will let you know.
I plan to be back in Struis around the middle of December so hope to have plenty to report on.
Also hoping to patch up with Sheldon, Lenny, Hermann, Braham and some of the other UA boys over Xmas as well as my regular crew - Anton, Gavin and Gary...
We plan to go to the Alphard and 45 as well as plenty of local trips and also Skipskop and Infanta ( which will be a first for us to run there from Struis with the boat!)
Maybe also head to CT for a day on the Tuna with Gavin - if the weather plays ball and the fish are around.
Lets hear your plans for December/ January 2016....