Author Topic: RE: Stickbait rod  (Read 12269 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Poenie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 315
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Somerset West, Cape Town
RE: Stickbait rod
« on: October 01, 2015, 03:14:37 PM »
I'm looking for a stickbait rod to pair with Stella 8k, PE6, in the 8ft3 range. What are the brands/models that jump to mind. Casting distance is KEY, up to 120gr stickbaits (and small-cup poppers).
Ideally, I'd not want to break the bank with Carpenters etc etc, thinking in the R3-4k region.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 03:44:37 PM »
My experience with this is that it's such a narrow market that it's more cost effective to have one built on your preferred blank. There are a few guys on UA that do awesome builds. Composite Developments in NZ do some amazing and quite cost effective blanks.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Poenie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 315
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Somerset West, Cape Town
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 03:50:08 PM »
I have very much considered that route... but I really don't know which blank to go for! I have time as we're only doing Maldives next year May, HOWEVER, It's not something I'll use in Cpt at all, thus might consider selling it afterwards, and custom rods are a hard sell.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 03:54:34 PM »
Keep it and just make sure you go on more epic trips  :-)


I've now made a pact with myself that I'll do one big trip every year, beg steal or borrow. St Laz this year, Maddys next year. Somewhere in the next 10 years, there will be a PNG trip too.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Poenie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 315
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Somerset West, Cape Town
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 04:02:06 PM »
Agreed, been doing that for a few years now, BUT, the average Maldives GT is a not quite the Oman brutes, and I have a PE8-10 outfit for other trips. I have a Stella8k lying in the tackle room, and she needs a partner.
Steve has a HOTS GIPANG 83H Long Cast up for grabs, but at R6k it's just a little more than I'd like to spend on a rod I'm hardly ever going to use (other than this trip)

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 04:50:39 PM »
Have a look at the BH Magiceyes 804 rod.


It handles a Starwalker 180F with ease.


90-100g poppers like the Tuna or Halco Rooster or Haymaker is also handled with ease.


It has serious back bone to handle big fish as well.

Offline Cage

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 317
  • Cred: 64
  • Gender: Male
  • I FISH THEREFORE I LIVE
  • Location: JHB, Gauteng
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 05:19:16 PM »
Poenie, have a look at the Daiwa Saltiga 80TN. Squarely in that budget range. I've been using it with Stella 8k and PE5 (the rod is rated PE6) and its really a lekka rod for sticks in the 60-100g range - I haven't popped with it but I reckon it would handle small cup poppers and skipping baits fine upto 100-120g (120 at a push)....... I think its under-rated and boxes above its weight. Quality components (SIC Guides) and a great blank.... I got the majority of my fish in Mada last year on this outfit and have to say really really enjoyed it....

Offline Poenie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 315
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Somerset West, Cape Town
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 05:39:12 PM »
Thats one I had in mind to look at....

Offline Royboy

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 303
  • Cred: 16
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 06:35:25 PM »
Yeah Poenie - as per Gerhard's input - I got my PB Wahoo (skipper estimated at 30kg) released in Seychelles in October last year on the BH 804S. Stickbaits up to max. 120g and game on. It was a good 30 minute fight on my 6000 - one of my fave fish of all time.

No sales pitch - up there with the best.

Cheers, RB

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 06:56:38 PM »
I don't have the info on these class rods , jigging / popping/ stick rods .


There's thousands of other brands , that I know jack .



I do however read and make notes of threads like these , and actually google these brands / rods mentioned here , one day .



Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline travelmember

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 663
  • Cred: 49
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town Western Cape
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 07:24:24 PM »
I liked the NZ Composite Development rods - good rod at a good price. Used it for sails, nile perch and it worked well - also used it as a heavy tail rod for SW reefs. Busted on a tuna - but it probably took a knock on a boat somewhere.
I have given up taking expensive rods on trips now - too many damaged.
Poenie, my travelling stickbait rod is an Exage :blush: .
But, 50kg YFT, 80kg stripey, 80kg perch, lots of sails, 30kg geets, etc - and it is still going strong.

Offline Royboy

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 303
  • Cred: 16
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 08:38:43 PM »
Oooops! Sorry - I concede.

Offline Royboy

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 303
  • Cred: 16
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 08:50:11 PM »
It is actually a flippen AMAZING rod..... Lenny? Google and Youtube please... and then advise us if that's ok?

Many Thanks - Roy

Offline GT Raper

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 21
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: PE
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 08:20:00 AM »
Agreed, been doing that for a few years now, BUT, the average Maldives GT is a not quite the Oman brutes, and I have a PE8-10 outfit for other trips. I have a Stella8k lying in the tackle room, and she needs a partner.
Steve has a HOTS GIPANG 83H Long Cast up for grabs, but at R6k it's just a little more than I'd like to spend on a rod I'm hardly ever going to use (other than this trip)


Come Christo - you know you want it!!!! hahahahahah

Offline Poenie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 315
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Somerset West, Cape Town
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 08:24:48 AM »
Hahahaha you muppet, drop the price!! Wish we'd just swapped for that Stella5k!! Again Steve, I WANT IT, but just cannot see myself using it again after the trip, and then I'm R6k out of pocket with a rod that's considered ''older'' technology, and a hard sell. Do me a rental for the trip  w;k

Offline The Herbmeister

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 130
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 10:05:25 AM »
Daiwa Saltiga as mentioned by "Cage". The Extreme 80TN is rated to 100 gr and light enough to throw all day. The Saltiga GT86 is another option for poppers also and is strong ...

Offline Poenie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 315
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Somerset West, Cape Town
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 08:19:15 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with the Major Craft Giant Killing blanks? A mate turned my attention to it, but Í have NO KNOWLEDGE of the brand. Their GK86 Tuna rod SOUND like what I'm after.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 10:33:24 AM by Poenie »

Offline Nepptune

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 147
  • Cred: 7
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 09:29:04 AM »
Not familiar with that particular model mate, but Major Craft make fantastic rods...

Offline super_daav

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 855
  • Cred: 74
  • Gender: Male
  • Lower Zambezi 2009
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 04:10:11 PM »
Saltiga fits right into your range Poenie. Super value for money!
Kingfisher.co.za
Official Daiwa agent

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2015, 01:20:15 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with the Major Craft Giant Killing blanks? A mate turned my attention to it, but Í have NO KNOWLEDGE of the brand. Their GK86 Tuna rod SOUND like what I'm after.


I know Dennis Swannell only uses (and swears by) MC rods these days - not boat rods but Shore Jigging and the like.  I also have owned and used a lot of them - brilliant value, excellent build quality and they do what they say on the tin.


Another option:  Barry Wareham's brought out a range of boat spinning sticks which look really good based on what I saw at the SAFTAD show.  Build quality is very good and pricing realistic.  Only snag is they are not all listed on the IFISH site yet - probably worth dropping Basil Manning a line about best match for your application.  .     

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal