Author Topic: John F's DIY: Trailer hitch extension arm  (Read 5797 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
John F's DIY: Trailer hitch extension arm
« on: September 26, 2015, 04:13:35 PM »
Last time I launched, I had my jockey wheel broken at the club's infamous ramp. As a result, I had to pull the boat up  with the cruiser. My trailer doesn't have rollers so I needed to put the trailer relatively deep into the ramp to retrieve the boat; this means the cruiser is almost half a meter under water!!!!!  Wasn't happy but had to do it!

Decided to make a plan and build an extension arm. Used a section of 75 mm square galvanized pipe that had been chucked away when another member of the club rebuilt his trailer.

Used a 2 m section, bit of grinding, a few coats of primer and enamel paint and almost done.

Transferred the hitch to the extension arm and drilled three 12 mm holes in the trailer's main axis which matched the holes on the extensions arm and job's done!

The extension arm runs under the main axis and is secured by 2 x 13 mm SS  bolts.

I'm now running a completely independent operation from the club's tractor and/or winch!

Roll on summer!
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: John F's DIY: Trailer hitch extension arm
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 06:45:48 PM »
A nice plan Marcos, probably to push the boat in from the front tow hitch mat help as well

when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: John F's DIY: Trailer hitch extension arm
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 09:04:13 AM »
A club i launched from that had a shallow slip directly into the sea had a same same but different approach.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: John F's DIY: Trailer hitch extension arm
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 09:08:39 AM »
That's the same system that Club Maritimo uses...
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline AliB

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Azaiba,Muscat,Oman
Re: John F's DIY: Trailer hitch extension arm
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 11:55:06 AM »
A club i launched from that had a shallow slip directly into the sea had a same same but different approach.


Looks like CAYC, Muscat?

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: John F's DIY: Trailer hitch extension arm
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 01:52:14 PM »
A club i launched from that had a shallow slip directly into the sea had a same same but different approach.


Looks like CAYC, Muscat?

Yup thats it great little place its a pity its fallen into such disrepair.

Offline AliB

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Azaiba,Muscat,Oman
Re: John F's DIY: Trailer hitch extension arm
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 05:49:25 AM »
pity indeed.

Offline CRANKMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 684
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Louis Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: John F's DIY: Trailer hitch extension arm
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 01:22:02 PM »
Marcos, I launch my little Impalla in the dam with my Bantam bakkie. I got tired of the cab filling with water on every launch so made a set tup similar to yours, but sliding. I chock the trailer wheels, remove a pin and drive forward. The trailer arm extends three meters then the pin goes back. Takes only a few secs and now my wheel bearings don't even go near the water.
>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal