Author Topic: To rubber duck or not  (Read 16048 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
To rubber duck or not
« on: September 05, 2015, 01:27:19 PM »
This is the launch site near Pringle Bay this morning. How can one not own a boat and stay here?
Unfortunately my kayaking days are over and I am seriously considering buying a small rubber duck to fish this bay. I definitely don't want to go beyond the breakers (on the far horizon).


Question is:


Would I be allowed to launch a 3,2 m duck with a 5hp engin without having to comply with any regulations like a skipper' license, etc? I can get such a duck for R10K


Advice will be appreciated.
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline colin

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 752
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kelland , Randburg
Re: To rubber duck or not
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 02:55:45 PM »
 :envy what an idyllic spot . :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline Rory mundy

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1762
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • vidalbum
  • Location: St Lucia
Re: To rubber duck or not
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 03:02:07 PM »
they seem to go to sea in any thing down there 

vidalbum

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: To rubber duck or not
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 03:39:01 PM »
My understanding of the law is that you will be allowed to provided your motor stays under 15 horses.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Re: To rubber duck or not
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 03:44:01 PM »
My understanding of the law is that you will be allowed to provided your motor stays under 15 horses.


That's what I thought but I'm not sure. I think no more than 2 persons on the boat?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 03:45:07 PM by PH »
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: To rubber duck or not
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 03:50:11 PM »
My understanding of the law is that you will be allowed to provided your motor stays under 15 horses.


That's what I thought but I'm not sure. I think no more than 2 persons on the boat?


Although I'm guilty of having skippered my little Ark Minnow across Bilene with 5 of us on board (it was a kind of emergency... we had to get to the pub quickly  :-) ) I wouldn't feel comfortable with more than 1 crew on a small boat like that.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: To rubber duck or not
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 03:56:21 PM »

Although I'm guilty of having skippered my little Ark Minnow across Bilene with 5 of us on board (it was a kind of emergency... we had to get to the pub quickly  :-) ) I wouldn't feel comfortable with more than 1 crew on a small boat like that.

Don't worry... you didn't break any laws.... SA laws are not valid here  :rotfl   You see Moz is in a constant state of emergency.... so your emergency was within our "laws" :hyst:
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline isivuba

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1671
  • Cred: 265
  • Gender: Male
  • Work pays for the fishing trips
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: To rubber duck or not
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 04:34:23 PM »
Think the only thing legal  you need is a fishing licence. Going out in the rubber duck.....Well that's your choice and no one may stop you but I would then at least go for a 15 HP motor.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 04:34:51 PM by isivuba »

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: To rubber duck or not
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 04:48:43 PM »
I'd agree with the 15 horses, but I'm not so sure about a rubber duck, my choice would be a small cat similar to the one Ziggy has, it to me gives more options and would be safer and more stable
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 04:49:52 PM by dodger »
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline Mr AceCraft

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 70
  • Cred: 4
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gordonsbay
Re: To rubber duck or not
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 12:59:46 PM »
Ph ,

This little bay is called Maasbaai and just below Hangklip ? - correct .

lots of rocky reefs , and wind picks up very quickly in summer .

very good spot for hotties , steenbras and Geelbek and the few weeks that the crayfish season is open.

I would not go for a duck - why ? very difficult to hold a position when wind picks up , rocks pose danger

I would rather opt for a kreef bakkie with a 5hp motor .

much more stable and less noisy when targeting those elusive geelbek.

my 2c 

Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Re: To rubber duck or not
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 02:56:13 PM »
Great advice - thanks!!
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline Mr AceCraft

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 70
  • Cred: 4
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gordonsbay
Re: To rubber duck or not
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 12:39:56 PM »
Great advice - thanks!!

Just as a afterthought ,  a kreef bakkie with oars is super effective to get in between the kelp (where the fish are) ,outboard motors don't work so lekker in kelp but good to cover the longer open stretches , and a duck being super light can get into trouble quickly if only dependant on outboard, and duck with oars pain in the arse to fight the breeze.

Kreefbakkie not the most elegant and flashy but super effective in these hidden little bays - there is a reason so many people use them  :-)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 12:40:35 PM by Mr AceCraft »

Offline HoodedHoodlum

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Hermanus
Re: To rubber duck or not
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 10:02:03 PM »
 :uarocks
Mr AceCraft, that is one sexy boat in your pic  :envy :envy :envy

This is some great advice. thank you.
I live in Hermanus and currently have a little Intex Mariner 4 with 54lb thrust Watersnake Venom motor to keep me busy on the lagoon here.
I have also been looking at a Kreef Bakkie as an upgrade. This will then allow me to fish along our shores next summer.

I agree with you, it is less flashy however there is probably a reason why the local fisherman love that boat so much!
 :fshn:

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal