Author Topic: Small "ducks" on the market  (Read 21839 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Small "ducks" on the market
« on: July 29, 2015, 03:00:01 PM »
So i've been toying with the idea of getting a small portable duck for use in estuaries , dams etc for freshwater and  saltwater  use (eg like estuaries in the Tkei) without the inconvinence of towing a boat all that way + if theres no launch facilities it becomes an issue , currently looking at these , what would members recommend /advise on . pics courtsey of Infanta / ARK and Aquastrike .

Offline Willie

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2033
  • Cred: 237
  • Gender: Male
  • Ultimate Novice
  • Location: Nelspruit Mpumalanga
Re: Small "ducks" on the market
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 03:45:34 PM »
Mike the small duck in the first pic looks nice what price and what size motor can you put on. Are you considering a electric motor?
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at office

Offline CRANKMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 684
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Louis Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Small "ducks" on the market
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 04:04:31 PM »
I got a simple 3.2 m from Buccaneer out by the airport a year or 2 ago. I think I paid R3700 for it. It has no seats but 2 standard directors deck chairs fit in it, together with a cooler and small fuel tank and battery for a trolling motor. I made a simple little plywood centre console for it which is inserted before fully inflating the tubes, this holds the cooler and an umbrella. Works a charm. I can do about 27 km/h with my 8hp Suzuki, or if on a small dam I just take a battery and trolling motor. Boat folds up nice and small. Great for exploring new waters or just for an afternoon on a farm dam.
>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: Small "ducks" on the market
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 04:08:58 PM »
Willie its the aquastrike range , made locally here the chap has a factory in boksburg , they very strong and durable , just a bit heavy , he makes a whole range as well , pricing is good about 8599 or 8999 and will take a 15 hp motor , i'll get some contact details for u shortly .

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: Small "ducks" on the market
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 04:10:33 PM »
That looks great CRANKMAN ... :Like:  .

Offline CRANKMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 684
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Louis Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Small "ducks" on the market
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 04:13:35 PM »
I know of a little Honwave 2.2m and Honda four stroke (2 hp) combo going for sale. But to honest it's a bit small to be practical (spins around like a tractor tube), and the motor doesn't have gears (it has a centrifugal clutch) so it's tricky to get a steady trolling speed going. Can get details tonight if you are interested?
>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: Small "ducks" on the market
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 04:15:23 PM »
Thanks , but thats a bit small .

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Small "ducks" on the market
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 10:59:13 AM »
I am looking at the Ark Fishalot. It has a bit more space than the Fishduck.

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: Small "ducks" on the market
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 11:18:21 AM »
Looked at the ARK  range , very nice but can get pricey , also INFANTA make a nice bassboat fold up duck like in the pic i posted but these will all set u back about 10k and then u still got to add a motor .. = more $$ , also found on FB  Monster Carp Tackle , that make a range of small ducks , still trying to get the specs on them though ... i'll see whats on display at the boat show as well .. 

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: Small "ducks" on the market
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 11:23:05 AM »
Like CRANKMANS setup though , emailed Buccanneer, asking for specs and price ..... and so we wait ... :-( :cnfzd .

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Small "ducks" on the market
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 11:27:39 AM »
Mike from my experiences with ark and from what I have heard, is that you only damage them if you intended to do so. They cost more but will last longer.
Squid Happens!

Offline redeye

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Small "ducks" on the market
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 11:41:51 AM »
Hey Mike,
Saw your post - dunno if you are still looking or would be interested but I am selling my Suzmar 390 + 15 hp Suzuki 4stroke.
Fits into my boot and has fold up aluminium floor - I use it for a couple of trips to the wild coast and Breede river - it is still pretty much brand new.

Give me a call if you are keen 021 797 731zero ask for Ross.
Same boat as in the pic.

Offline Zetti

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Small "ducks" on the market
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 12:46:16 PM »
That thing must fly with the 15hp on the back. Nice little rig that

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: Small "ducks" on the market
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 01:27:55 PM »
Thanks redeye (Ross ) looks good , but little bit of an overkill for what i 'm looking for .

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: Small "ducks" on the market
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 01:41:58 PM »
I got a simple 3.2 m from Buccaneer out by the airport a year or 2 ago. I think I paid R3700 for it. It has no seats but 2 standard directors deck chairs fit in it, together with a cooler and small fuel tank and battery for a trolling motor. I made a simple little plywood centre console for it which is inserted before fully inflating the tubes, this holds the cooler and an umbrella. Works a charm. I can do about 27 km/h with my 8hp Suzuki, or if on a small dam I just take a battery and trolling motor. Boat folds up nice and small. Great for exploring new waters or just for an afternoon on a farm dam.

Phoned Buccanneer , they 5800 at the moment , looks like this is the route to go .. :hnthnt:

Offline CRANKMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 684
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Louis Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Small "ducks" on the market
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 12:55:52 PM »
I decided to add a trolling motor mount to my little duck. In the past I have always used either my 8hp Suzuki, or the trolling motor mounted on the back, but I wanted the option of both for a quick trip to the Zambezi at month end. The mount had to be quick and easy to install and remove, light weight and made from materials I had lying around.
>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

Offline CRANKMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 684
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Louis Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Small "ducks" on the market
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 12:57:13 PM »
I used some 38 mm square tube to make a U shape that  roughly conformed to the front of the boat. Some 50 mm flat bar bent to shape  with a plank attached holds the motor. The frame work very quickly attaches to  the front of the boat with 4 velcro straps. As an after thought I added a few  rod holders because I could. When not in use the motor can be folded flat  between the passenger’s legs, or just raised and clamped if just relocating  with the petrol motor.
>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

Offline CRANKMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 684
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Louis Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Small "ducks" on the market
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 12:58:20 PM »
A couple more pics.
>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Small "ducks" on the market
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 02:55:43 PM »
Hi crankman .


I have done a few ducks with trolling motors in the front .


Can I make a suggestion that is a bit more practical and save a bit of space ....




If you swing your transom mount on an angle .


Then when you pic it up out of the water , it will be in line/ on top of your pontoon . You can now easily secure the trolling motor when not in use , or drifting ....


Where as you now , chop the ' nose space ' in half .


Just a thought ...




I am also looking at these ducks , and I am upset that I sold mine years ago .
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline deepblu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 577
  • Cred: 12
  • Gender: Male
  • support catch and release, fish for tomrrow!!
  • Location: jhb
Re: Small "ducks" on the market
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 03:02:33 PM »
mike make sure get something with a solid floor so u got lekker fishing platform the suzumar has nice aluminium floor

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal