
Just got back home from st. lucia did not get what I went there for but still enjoyed except for early this morning when it

and I wasn't prepared for it.
Also learned a few things a long the way.
Got my quota of shad on sat and sun and 2 this morning but just in size. Lots of small ones in between.
I was using my normal "shad slayer" Halco twisty with no results until I put on a Wiliamson thunder jigg (40g I think - too damaged by now to see the weight.) Not sure what they call the color but silver body with brown back. This thing really looks almost exactly like the sprats found on the beach and same size. So spoon makes a difference I think.
Cought a nice blacktail on prawn and my biggest sandshark ever (estimated 900cm) on sardine.
Had a few issues with the new braid I'm using (suffix 832 20lb). Actually had no issues until my spoon (couta casting) went halve-way to Australia when the braid broke on the cast. Upon closer inspection I saw that the spool didn't wind properly (maybe caught between bail arm and line roller.)
I put a new leader on the braid and attached the spoon with no swivel to save time. After the 5th cast I had 3 wind knots in the braid. Attached a swivel and no problems for about halve a day until the next spoon went to Australia.
Braid had another wind knot.
Put on my spare spool with 20lb Power Pro and never any problems again.
Anybody had issues with the 832 20lb or should I just fork out that 200 more for Power Pro ?.
I was using a shimano scimitar 10" rod and sedona 4000.
I had no luck catching snoek from the shore though. Baitballs must have been there on a few occasions with all the bird activity. The snoek is probably there as as a few came out during the week along with some bonnies.
I could not cast to where the bird activity is with my setup and 1oz couta casting spoon. Would need another estimated 50m.(Just before the backline).
Should I get a rod like amia siera or whatever can it realy cast that much further with a 1 ounce spoon?. I have the the older stradic 5000 with spare spool to mach. Any suggestions please.
Sorry no photos still have to learn how to upload.
Ocean basket in st lucia produced once again never thought sardines (bait) could taste so well Portuguese sardines for starter- next time I will order 8 of it for main meal.
[/size] [/size][size=78%] [/size][/size][size=78%] [/size]