Author Topic: St Lucia - and rest of North coast this next two days - good weather/swell/tides  (Read 20158 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline sardinella

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 735
  • Cred: 24
  • Gender: Male
  • I like to spinfish
  • Location: St Lucia, KZN
Hi all,
Could not help but notice excellent conditions for spinning the next two days. Swell down to 1 meter - means less working water but lots of clean water close in, which will bring the snoek within reach.
Tide dropping to spring low tide at around 9 -10  in the morning - look for breaks in the banks behind deep gutters that will form rips out to sea. It will also allow for safer and earlier access to the rocky points.
Light westerlies early will help with long casting, also bring glassy conditions which will allow for bettr sighting of surface action.
For St Lucia hit the beach north of the swimming beach and work your way up to the start of the slides (white sand on your back).
If you have lots of energy go south and go straight past Maphelane bay for 1.2kms and wade out just before Crayfish ledge in the belly of Crayfish corner bay, where the rip from crayfish corner goes out to sea, and do long casts - there is some flat rocks out there that holds lots of snoek this time of year and beware of large GT's at this rip.
 :-(  so wishing I was there, iso behind my desk in Middelburg

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi

 :-(  so wishing I was there, iso behind my desk

Makes 2 of us!! Sounds brilliant!

Offline Willie

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2033
  • Cred: 237
  • Gender: Male
  • Ultimate Novice
  • Location: Nelspruit Mpumalanga
 :hehe:  I think it makes many of us
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at office

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Makes a whole lot of us that would rather be at the coast this very moment ... :-( .

Offline Willie

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2033
  • Cred: 237
  • Gender: Male
  • Ultimate Novice
  • Location: Nelspruit Mpumalanga
Ok if we leave on Friday evening we can have our lines in the water before 6 in the morning and be back for work on Monday morning. We only take certain of our tackle with then we can go in one vehicle
 :hehe:
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at office

Offline sardinella

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 735
  • Cred: 24
  • Gender: Male
  • I like to spinfish
  • Location: St Lucia, KZN
Ok if we leave on Friday evening we can have our lines in the water before 6 in the morning and be back for work on Monday morning. We only take certain of our tackle with then we can go in one vehicle
 :hehe:
Plan like this I like a lot - should have left today to be back sunday

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Yay... for once it's my chance  :happ:  Enjoying St. Lucia thoroughly... My 1st time.


Thanks for the heads up Sard. So far not good though... I've seen one severely under size cob, but for the rest of it, squat, nada and niks. I started out at daybreak yesterday morning, walking North for about 2 ks, then turned round and headed back all the way to the tip of the estuary. During that time, something very small hit my little iron candy in about 6" of water but did not stick.


Then yesterday evening, I headed South to Mapelane but again, no visible action, nothing from the other anglers on the beach. Quite disappointing really. I hope you're on the money there Sard. Will keep you guys posted... eat your hearts out  :crzy
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline cyclone 123

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 307
  • Cred: 17
  • Gender: Male
  • UA/Columbia Angler of the Month : December 2014
  • Location: st lucia kzn
FishStyx we know of 3 snoek and some decent pompano that came out today

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
FishStyx we know of 3 snoek and some decent pompano that came out today
By better anglers than me  :cnfzd... But good to hear. Going to get them tomorrow.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline sardinella

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 735
  • Cred: 24
  • Gender: Male
  • I like to spinfish
  • Location: St Lucia, KZN
You have to apply all your angling skills at St Lucia, its a place where 5% of the anglers catch 95% of the fish.
Its also a place where fish come out at very specific areas, and these areas vary.
Right time at the right spot is very important

Do your time during low tide to identify good rips, banks and drop-offs and work these areas hard.

Offline Rory mundy

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1762
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • vidalbum
  • Location: St Lucia
boat trailer revamped, boat almost done with tidy up heading for St Lucia Saturday

vidalbum

Offline CRANKMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 684
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Louis Trichardt, Limpopo
FishStyx we know of 3 snoek and some decent pompano that came out today
By better anglers than me  :cnfzd ... But good to hear. Going to get them tomorrow.
Good luck matey, have fun and get the big one.
>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Think I should try this one out....

Offline Willie

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2033
  • Cred: 237
  • Gender: Male
  • Ultimate Novice
  • Location: Nelspruit Mpumalanga
 :rotfl :hyst: :hyst:  Reefz. Yip a good fishing trip is long overdue.
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at office

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
After spending quite a bit of time on the Thursday and Friday, throwing a handful of different candys, plugs, twistys and a bucktail, I came away empty handed. I concluded that it takes a better fisherman than me to get those

In all the time I was in St. Lucia, I only managed to see activity 3 times. First was a lazy, kind of curious follow by what looked like a shad. 2nd was a chase of baitfish in between 2 breakers by a smallish gamefish and then I saw a school of about 12 fish (not sure what) in a wave that was forming. I also only saw two fish caught, both on sard baits and both very undersize but still bagged :unhap .

Although I had hoped to catch, I did not have great expectations from a seasonal perspective. I also did not work as hard as I should have because it was very much a family time for me.

But we certainly had a very good time in St. Lucia. It's a delightful little town. I got the impression that crime is not a huge issue there (or at least not as much as in other parts of KZN). We dined out every night and had some excellent food. All in all, it was a wonderful family destination.

To those who have not had the pleasure... go there!
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline sardinella

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 735
  • Cred: 24
  • Gender: Male
  • I like to spinfish
  • Location: St Lucia, KZN
Thanks for feedback - pity about the fishing.
I can agree on St Lucia. Very laid back and relatively crime free.
Go out of season if you can and avoid christmas and new years

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Forgot to add... as predicted by Sardinella, the weather was idyllic for those few days.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline j.s.smith

  • Johny Peters
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 90
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • For the love of fishing.
  • Location: Middelburg Mp
The ocean basket in st. lucia is a must.
Early birds catches the most worms. Early worms catches the most fish.

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
The weather is pretty k@k here at the moment nice and sunny but the wind is howling with no end in sight.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Very interesting thread. I simply love that area. I tend to go to Cape Vidal, due to the great ledges there. But I still need to explore St Lucia much more. They getting great snoek there this year.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal