0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Quote from: Bigben on October 15, 2013, 01:04:03 PMMy method for kob..Piece of toothpic under the skin to prevent the hook tearing out and hook goes thru under it(1st hook behind the head)Fish swallow the bait head first.Hi BigBen - Do you use a toothpick on a slide or only if you throw/cast a live bait?I used a slide for the first time this weekend. What an experience. Was always so poep bang to give it a go. I use the same set up as you, except my fron hoek goes through the top lip. No toothpicks used.
My method for kob..Piece of toothpic under the skin to prevent the hook tearing out and hook goes thru under it(1st hook behind the head)Fish swallow the bait head first.
Its not the biting thru it the jumping winding the steel round the body and flexing that pops the steel ..
I think if you get bitten through 100lb steel by a bag you are unlucky, I catch them on a 20cm 60lb bite trace with.50 behind it mind you they are less than 50kgs.
Chaps been thinking , Murphy is a Bliksem . Fish with light steel and you will hook a Monster . Go Big or go Home . 150lb safest bet .
Quote from: Lichia amia on October 15, 2013, 02:34:33 PMChaps been thinking , Murphy is a Bliksem . Fish with light steel and you will hook a Monster . Go Big or go Home . 150lb safest bet .I'm with you. problem is, you need a decent size livie or 150lb steel with 2 x 8/0's will def result in it drowning...
Quote from: Weedeater on October 15, 2013, 02:52:35 PMQuote from: Lichia amia on October 15, 2013, 02:34:33 PMChaps been thinking , Murphy is a Bliksem . Fish with light steel and you will hook a Monster . Go Big or go Home . 150lb safest bet .I'm with you. problem is, you need a decent size livie or 150lb steel with 2 x 8/0's will def result in it drowning... We will have to catch our own Livies then , Walks only does Nemo and friends size
Quote from: Lichia amia on October 15, 2013, 02:59:28 PMQuote from: Weedeater on October 15, 2013, 02:52:35 PMQuote from: Lichia amia on October 15, 2013, 02:34:33 PMChaps been thinking , Murphy is a Bliksem . Fish with light steel and you will hook a Monster . Go Big or go Home . 150lb safest bet .I'm with you. problem is, you need a decent size livie or 150lb steel with 2 x 8/0's will def result in it drowning... We will have to catch our own Livies then , Walks only does Nemo and friends size Be careful okes, I might release some 30cm fish when I throw in the surf, heard wave garrick can be released quite quickly, especially the perfect size ones for GT's
But the "kenners" all slide with 400lb steel for ineds!!!!!200lb steel did nothing to stop kob picking up livies in falsebay, in fact most of the pickups were on the 200lb steel and not the mono!!!! The bronzies would pick up the mono slides and the kob the steel slides!!!!200lb steel also didnt kill any of the mullet livies, in the 20 - 30cm range.
What size Wave Garrick would you slide for a GT? The bigger the better?
Same here WK... was sliding mullets on mono only to be bitten off 3 times, then watch a 101cm kob landed next to me on a bronzie outfit!!!!
I think if you start sliding with 100lb steel you run the risk of being caught between all fish you are targeting. You will still run the risk of a kingy turning its nose up at your bait because of the wire but any toothy critters you hook are likely to bust you off too. Personally I'd rather be tackled up properly for at least one of the species Im targeting