I have just caught up with mowing weeding etc etc , after 10 days at Kosi. I hesitate to say a fishing trip, although we had 4 St Lucia greybeard's boats and 2/3 crew per day for 6 to 8 hours most days. The fish caught were few and far between. It was only on the third day that a solitary rock salmon 5kg and one bream of 3kg ended up on the table ( Rob Hanson). Our party had ex provincial ( Cliff/ Cobble

) and many anglers with vast experience. Most days we returned with one decent fish amongst us.
On the second week at the fish kraals between lake on and two my skipper had his line part losing a decent fish and 30/40m of line , the first time we heard his ratchet. One decent grunter 5.9kg( Wayne) , was landed by another boat. Also a few bream of 1 and 1.5 kg. The next day I had a decent pull, and brought in a fish from 250m away, at the boat it was tangled with yellow line , thinking it had picked up some of the other crew's long lines I hesitated at the net and the 2/0 Gamatsu circle pulled. Our experienced Gillie ,Victor, who had the previous day cleaned the 5.9kg grunter and the skipper( Hentie

) said that this fish was a few Kg bigger. ( I know the fish lost are always bigger

).
On the second last day Rob

hit a hole at 3rd lake N/E corner Manzi Njama spelling ?? in 45 min he landed 4 nice bream from 7 bites . As he was fishing alone, due to people not arriving and leaving due to the poor fishing, was at times playing 2 fish at once. The other 3 boats converged within 100m but not even one bite.

This is now the third year that we have had such poor

sport at Kosi. I believe illegal netting has taken its toll. We saw plenty fry and fingerlings , the few salmon and grunter caught were a good size but all boats on the water brought back almost no pan or medium fish.
Before I get slated, I do not own a camera , know the biggest fish get away.
This year we stayed at Palm Tree Lodge @ R250 p.n. in clean serviced chalets with pools & T.V.in the Lapa ( to watch the Proteas get knocked out). It is good value and recommended.