Author Topic: Hoo dunn it?  (Read 6917 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Hoo dunn it?
« on: September 18, 2010, 07:46:08 PM »
Today was an exciting day for me, and I felt like a little boy, so much so that I was jumping up and down on the deck like a child waiting for his ice cream, and all this because the summer game fish have arrived. I really do love hunting game fish soooooo very much.

Initially the plan was to go for some Snoek, but with the huge swells I decided to take a safer approach and stay far away from the backline. Swells were around 2.8-3.0m, wind was a light NE and water surface temperature was 21 deg. C.

We got going at around 06h30 and made our way to collect some live bait, and for once there were no sardines around, the Mackerel were scarce but we got some, we also got some Shad and a few Red Eye’s.

I immediately pinned the Red Eyes and swum them as live baits on the bottom using my down riggers, and swam two Mackerels out wide on the surface using the out riggers. I worked an area where a lot of Grunter and Daga have been reported but we got no action, I then continued out deeper and dropped the down riggers as we went along but there was no action until eventually we got a pull and found the Red Eye bitten in half.

Whilst pulling these baits I had noticed a few swirls, and so decided to bring the live baits out and change over to lures as we could cover much more water, and this proved to be the right choice. I has noticed some activity in the distance ad headed towards it and as we got into that area I noticed that the water surface temperature rose to 21.4 deg. C and it was not long before two reels were screaming and we boated the 2 very first Yellowfin Tuna for this summer season, as we fought them to the boat we went out of the warmer pocket of water. Once re rigged ad trolling again I turned back towards the warm pocket and I could even see it clearly on the surface as it had a different ripple to the water around it and it was an oval of around 300m x 200m. Immediately when we were back in the warm pocket another reel screamed and we landed a nice large Eastern Little Tuna (Kawakawa).

I also saw an orange crate floating and we did several passes, but no takes. There was a really strange brown fish close to it that looked like a rag, we went close and slowed down to see what it was and ran the gaff passed it, the fish moved away and then returned to the crate. I do not know what fish it was as I have never seen it before and will have to research a little. We also saw a Logger Head Turtle out there and this is also a sure sign of summer coming.

After that I worked the warm pocket for a while with no further action and then decided to head off South. As we were going along I thought I saw a Whale blow and shouted Whale, and so everyone was now looking forward to see this whale that never materialised. Then I thought I saw a fish jump out the water but was not sure, but I changed my heading anyway towards what I thought I saw, everyone was still looking for this elusive Whale.

The events that unfolded before us was something that I have never encountered before.

It was a school of Wahoo smashing a school of Eastern Little Tuna’s (Kawakawa), these Wahoo were coming up from the depths at high speed towards the surface and smashing into the Eastern Little Tuna (Kawakawa) and then flying 3-4 meters into the air twisting as they went up and then down, and everywhere in front of us was Wahoo in the air. I estimate about 30-40 Wahoo where smashing in to the school (which I managed to see and count) of 7 Eastern Little Tuna (Kawakawa) and we could even see the Wahoo charging up to them.

So we took our lures right through the middle of this and 2 reels screamed, one much more than the other, and it looked like we had hooked up 1 Wahoo and 1 Eastern Little Tuna (Kawakawa).
It was not very long before the Wahoo made mince meat out of the leader and was off, whilst we fought the smaller fish. Suddenly hell broke loose and this fish took off as if it grew 3-4 times it size in an instant and before we could even think anything 300m of line was out.
The fight ensued and then when close to the boat we could see it was a Wahoo, and then the line went slack and after all that we reeled in the remains of a head from an Eastern Little Tuna (Kawakawa) which had been ravished by the Wahoo.

With all the excitement and fish fights the remaining lines were tangled and in a mess, and so we drifted for a while to untangle everything and get reorganised. Sadly I also had an outrigger snap with all this commotion.
Whilst we were busy there was Wahoo jumping in the air all around us and they were extremely savage and aggressive as they gave the poor little fish a hiding and then it all went quiet. Our lines were now sorted and we were trolling again but there was no further sign of the Wahoo.

We went up North again to the warm pocket to see if there was more Tuna around, and managed another double hook up of large Eastern Little Tuna (Kawakawa).

All said and done it was an awesome and exciting day, and I am so happy that we have Game Fish around after some quiet months.



Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Hoo dunn it?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 07:47:35 PM »
The head.



PS> Carlos - Will says Hi.

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Hoo dunn it?
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 08:43:32 PM »
Great report as always. (clap)
I am glad for you guys that your summer fish arrived. We on the other hand are still waiting for them on this side but I have a feeling it will not be too long now. We have some funny weather at the moment and even had a thunder storm passing South of Knysna today. Enjoy your fishing.  fshg

Offline fedu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 530
  • Cred: 70
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Luanda, Angola
Re: Hoo dunn it?
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 09:40:15 PM »
These are the days!!

Offline Ianzo

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 3
  • Location: Witbank, Mpumalanga
Re: Hoo dunn it?
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
man those wahoo's must've been awesome, i love surface action

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Hoo dunn it?
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 09:47:44 PM »
man those wahoo's must've been awesome, i love surface action

I can't even begin to explain what that did to my addrenalin and blood pressure, it was just so exciting.

Offline Ianzo

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 3
  • Location: Witbank, Mpumalanga
Re: Hoo dunn it?
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 09:54:25 PM »
flip and with all the tangles and just watching <: you think you would've got them on casting with a spoon

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Hoo dunn it?
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 10:11:15 PM »
flip and with all the tangles and just watching <: you think you would've got them on casting with a spoon
Easier said than done on a charter.

Offline G!enn

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 211
  • Cred: 29
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: N.I
Re: Hoo dunn it?
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 10:49:51 PM »
nice report Mike .. Would of been a lovely sight to see the wahoo at the school of Tuna.
'In The Eyes Of A Child You Will See..... The World As It Should Be.'

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Hoo dunn it?
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 10:53:29 PM »
nice report Mike .. Would of been a lovely sight to see the wahoo at the school of Tuna.
Hey Glenn, how goes.
It was exciting........

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Hoo dunn it?
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 11:11:01 AM »
 :ayb :ayb its here!!

Tsutsuma

  • Guest
Re: Hoo dunn it?
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 07:09:11 PM »
Great stuff Mike - Will is a good guy and that is nice that you got him into some fish.

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Hoo dunn it?
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 08:28:26 AM »
Fantastic stuff FA I can just imagine the pandemonium on the boat must of been insane...... Can't wait for the upcoming weekend.
 :tite

Offline super_daav

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 855
  • Cred: 74
  • Gender: Male
  • Lower Zambezi 2009
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Hoo dunn it?
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 10:31:11 AM »
Awesome report!!! Must have been epic to see all those wahoo!!
Kingfisher.co.za
Official Daiwa agent

TUNAMAN

  • Guest
Re: Hoo dunn it?
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 10:40:03 AM »
Awesome Mike. Thanks for the positive feedback. You are solely responsible for my blood being a tad warmer and ready for the season. Great news to hear the gamefish is around and feeding.

Offline Big Van

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 431
  • Cred: 33
  • Location: Middelburg Mpumalanga
Re: Hoo dunn it?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 11:43:13 AM »
Nice report Mike. I felt like been on the boat with you when reading the report. I have never seen wahoo going that mad on the surface. Must be a great experience. Catch em boytjies :happ: :happ:

Offline Sailor

  • Wan-to-fish
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 239
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Hoo dunn it?
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 02:55:36 PM »
Thanks Mike
Totally insane report. Wish I could have seen the action.

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Hoo dunn it?
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 04:39:59 PM »
Nice report FA!!!

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Hoo dunn it?
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 07:32:43 PM »
Nice report Mike. I felt like been on the boat with you when reading the report. I have never seen wahoo going that mad on the surface. Must be a great experience. Catch em boytjies :happ: :happ:

You have no idea how high my addrenalin levels went, it was just so exciting to see this.  :geet

japmac

  • Guest
Re: Hoo dunn it?
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 10:46:38 PM »
Great report there FA as always :tkx:

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal