Author Topic: Blue Water Charters - Fishing Reports from Fat Girl  (Read 91219 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Blue Water Charters - Fishing Reports from Fat Girl
« Reply #180 on: November 22, 2016, 07:38:12 PM »
Good to see you back!!!!

Are you sure the sharks always went for the bonnies!?!? I got 3 of them a few weeks back, that went straight to the rappies and speedpros even before the tuna....

When fishing in Moz I also caught loads of Black Tips on rappies, but not in Durban. Also the fish was on we had a good fight and when about 20-30m from the boat the line went vas and the reel screamed hectic which we could not stop until line went limp, was definitely something bigger.

Good news I got today is that Rapala is giving me 5 of the new X-Rap 40 Magnums to test and put through their paces  :happ:, I will post a pro staff report when I have pulled them around a bit so look out for it

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Blue Water Charters - Fishing Reports from Fat Girl
« Reply #181 on: November 22, 2016, 07:41:37 PM »
I get them tomorrow  :-) Love the pink one

They say they swim 12m deep 40ft
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 07:42:19 PM by Capt. Hook »

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Blue Water Charters - Fishing Reports from Fat Girl
« Reply #182 on: November 22, 2016, 07:43:32 PM »
That's interesting... seems like they are a bit more lazy down south and only chase hooked fish.... here they go straight to the rappies at 6-8 knots... eish...

Looking forward to your reviews. Hope Rapala addressed the widely felt and reported rust related shortcomings on their lures
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Blue Water Charters - Fishing Reports from Fat Girl
« Reply #183 on: January 08, 2017, 06:34:57 PM »
2016/2017 Holiday Fishing Report

Greetings to all and I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone for 2017.
We had loads of winds this season, blowing from every direction, currents have been strong and the water never got to the warm temperatures that we usually get this time of year we also had a lot of rain but with the water shortage I suppose I should not complain. We had to cancel several trips due to the weather, but we still had a busy season with many visitors to Durban this year. We had some good fishing days and some bad fishing days.
I don’t ever remember such a cold season as there were some days that were icy like Christmas day morning when I froze. We have not yet had the proper hot Durban weather.
We caught a fair amount of Dorado but we never got any big ones so far, we also did not get those bumper days and most daily catches were in the 1s, 2s and 3s for the day but we got Dorado on almost every trip.
The new Rapala X-Rap 40s running 12m deep did well for us on the Dorado even though we were running them for Tuna they got us Dorado and some decent size Bonnies.
The Tuna and Wahoo have evaded us this season and we have not caught any.
We got a really nice Black Marlin at the end of December which we released and dropped a monster of a Black Marlin.
Bottom fishing for most parts was actually very good and the Slinger were prolific, especially when the currents were stronger with some decent sizes. We caught a beautiful Picasso Trigger Fish off Durban whilst bottom fishing which was a first for Fat Girl ever, this fish was released.
We did some bay fishing and we caught a good amount of GT’s on Drop shot along with some Sea Pike, Salad Fish, Walla Walla and for the first time ever we got a really large mullet on Drop Shot. We had a young man that wanted to use his light tackle Bass set up in the bay and caught himself a nice little Hammer Head Shark, all the fish we caught in the bay were released.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Blue Water Charters - Fishing Reports from Fat Girl
« Reply #184 on: January 08, 2017, 06:45:05 PM »
.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Blue Water Charters - Fishing Reports from Fat Girl
« Reply #185 on: January 08, 2017, 08:03:46 PM »
Nice Mike!  :happ:
PS Thats a Clown Trigger, not a Picasso.

Picasso looks like this


Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: Blue Water Charters - Fishing Reports from Fat Girl
« Reply #186 on: January 08, 2017, 08:29:59 PM »
The colours on that Clown Trigger look awesome , and thats quite an achievement , the small Hammerhead on bass tackle .. (clap)

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Blue Water Charters - Fishing Reports from Fat Girl
« Reply #187 on: January 08, 2017, 08:49:20 PM »
Nice Mike!  :happ:
PS Thats a Clown Trigger, not a Picasso.

Picasso looks like this



Yes you right, thanks

Offline Timothy Scriven

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 500
  • Cred: 27
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Auckland New Zealand
Re: Blue Water Charters - Fishing Reports from Fat Girl
« Reply #188 on: January 09, 2017, 02:25:55 AM »
Mike, your reports are the earliest things I remember about UA.
Not that I am saying you are an old fart.
Your reports have always been something I really enjoyed.

Your East Coast Radio-style jokes are a different kettle of Picassos.
Glad to see you are up and about.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Blue Water Charters - Fishing Reports from Fat Girl
« Reply #189 on: January 09, 2017, 07:21:27 AM »
Mike, your reports are the earliest things I remember about UA.
Not that I am saying you are an old fart.
Your reports have always been something I really enjoyed.

Your East Coast Radio-style jokes are a different kettle of Picassos.
Glad to see you are up and about.

Am turning 21 this year, so shut up laaitjie  w;k

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Blue Water Charters - Fishing Reports from Fat Girl
« Reply #190 on: January 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM »
Offshore Fishing Report 20170110 - Durban
Game Fish Grand Slam and our first Billfish for 2017
We had a 6hr trip for today and decided to do it in the afternoon as the wind was blowing strong in the morning and so the boat launched at 11h00. 1hr into the trip the shotgun claimed a Wahoo and about an hour after that the same bullet on the shot gun claimed a Sailfish of around 50Kg which was released. After that 2 Dorado were also hooked up, so 3 species of Game Fish in one short trip.







Offline Timothy Scriven

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 500
  • Cred: 27
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Auckland New Zealand
Re: Blue Water Charters - Fishing Reports from Fat Girl
« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2017, 07:50:47 PM »
Well done Michael. Good pics
Happy customers.


Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Blue Water Charters - Fishing Reports from Fat Girl
« Reply #192 on: January 11, 2017, 07:58:33 AM »
Stellar Mike!!!! Awesome, well done!  (clap)

Offline Bwana

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 916
  • Cred: 206
  • Gender: Male
  • Deep Blue Addict
  • Location: Shelly Beach, KZN
Re: Blue Water Charters - Fishing Reports from Fat Girl
« Reply #193 on: January 11, 2017, 08:23:43 AM »
Great day out! Congrats on the  :sailf: (clap)

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Blue Water Charters - Fishing Reports from Fat Girl
« Reply #194 on: January 23, 2017, 07:52:55 AM »
Offshore Fishing Report - Durban
 Seems like the weather is settling a little bit and we are still getting Dorado on every trip, water has been clean and warm but we are still getting some horrid winds on some days making for big seas.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Blue Water Charters - Fishing Reports from Fat Girl
« Reply #195 on: March 15, 2017, 07:33:52 PM »
Offshore Fishing Report - Durban
After the hectic season in December and January things went back to the normal pace in February. Water temperatures have been very warm with some days recording over 28deg. C and this has been in-spite of the large amount of rain that we have experienced, inshore waters have been dirty but out in the deep the water is clear. I cant complain about the rain as it has seen many of our badly depleted dams restored and a huge relief on the drought situation. The fish have been around and we have been getting catches on every trip even though not as many as we would like. There has been a good variety of fish being caught including Dorado, Yellowfin Tuna, Wahoo, Prodigal son and as always the bottom fishing keeps the rods bending on the slower game fish days. We have not managed to bring a Marlin to the boat but had a close call the other day with a big Black that came off. April looks set to be another busy month with Easter and the holidays approaching us, cant believe April is already around the corner. Sure hope these big winds either NE or SW take a break at some stage.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Blue Water Charters - Fishing Reports from Fat Girl
« Reply #196 on: March 15, 2017, 07:34:44 PM »
.

Offline Mal Hannes

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 487
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: Blue Water Charters - Fishing Reports from Fat Girl
« Reply #197 on: March 17, 2017, 12:18:05 PM »
Nice one Mike!

I miss your more in depth written reports. Not just a summary at the end of the month.
'

I hope all the long weekends and public holidays keep you very busy and that your reels scream and smoke!

I do plan a visit some time but not sure when.
Either I am fishing or dreaming of fishing!

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Blue Water Charters - Fishing Reports from Fat Girl
« Reply #198 on: March 17, 2017, 09:46:59 PM »
Nice one Mike!

I miss your more in depth written reports. Not just a summary at the end of the month.
'

I hope all the long weekends and public holidays keep you very busy and that your reels scream and smoke!

I do plan a visit some time but not sure when.
Even if you don't fish, would be nice to meet up Hannes.
I will get back to those reports have just had my attention divided for a while and a new wife  w;k

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Blue Water Charters - Fishing Reports from Fat Girl
« Reply #199 on: March 17, 2017, 09:50:15 PM »
I get them tomorrow  :-) Love the pink one

They say they swim 12m deep 40ft

Herewith my test report on these


X-Rap 40 Report


I was quite excited when I got the new X-Rap 40’s to test this season as I have always been a big fan of the X-Rap 30’s.
I used gear equipped with 50lb (24Kg) line and drags set to 8kg on strike.
I put 6m of 0.80 Suffix zippy leader line connected to the main line with a double fig.8 knot.
I connected the 0.80 leader directly to the X-Rap 40 using an improved fig.8 knot and no steel wire.

I ran 2 rigs like with the X-Rap 40’s from the two corner positions on my boat in a mixed spread along with 5 Konas for almost all my trips with the exception of 3 Marlin Specific trips where I ran large Konas in these positions. So we tested over 18 trips averaging 8hrs per trip, with and average of 100km travelled per trip.
I ran one 35m behind the boat and the other 30m behind the boat.
The total test time was around 144hrs and 1800km.
We had all kinds of weather and conditions during this time and some really strong winds on certain days and some big swells and some very fast currents were encountered, so I am satisfied that these lures were put through their paces and thoroughly tested.
Going head into the strong currents the 40s never popped even once so a big improvement over the 30s which would most certainly have popped out a few times.
Coming back in some 3.5-4.0m swells in a following sea with the boat surging forward they never popped, with the 30s I would have to slow down but the 40s ran true and never popped.
We trolled at speeds from 6 knots up to 12 knots and in all conditions the 40s ran true.
The 40s have a serious pull on them and there is no ways that one could run them on 30lb rigs with 5Kg drags over 7 knots as they would have pulled line from the reels, so the 50lb rigs are best suited for trolling these lures.
I was really hoping to get some good Yellowfin Tuna on the 40s, as the 30s have produced me some really great Tuna over the years but we did not see one Tuna this season.
It must be noted that weather conditions this season were not normal and we still have not got the warm waters which we are accustomed to this time of year and so fishing was well below average and one had to travel far and work hard to get fish.
We caught a lot of Dorado on the 40s and several large size Bonnies.
One thing I can say that on several days we were the only boat at the Marina to bring back Dorado when all the other boats were only trolling konas we brought back Dorado all caught on the X-Rap 40s.
Another thing I noticed is that at slower speeds the X-Raps did not produce any fish and all the fish we caught on the X-Raps were caught trolling at 8-9 knots.
Of the 6 colours I tested only the pink and the red head produced fish.
As a rule I usually only run X-Raps in the cooler months specifically for Yellowfin, but I learnt a good lesson this summer running them as they often caught me the fish when nothing else was working,
Conclusion
The X-Rap 40s troll well in all conditions and like to be pulled fast, the hooks are bigger than on the 30s and this seemed to be a big advantage as all the fish we hooked were hooked properly with both hooks. I like these 40s and will definitely be running them in the future on my boat, they are definitely suited to a mixed spread with konas and bullets. I am dying to try them in the cooler months when the bigger Tuna are around.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:51:29 PM by Capt. Hook »

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal