Author Topic: Ideal Dropshot trace  (Read 17435 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Ideal Dropshot trace
« on: June 28, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
This method was used back in 2006. Much has changed since then...


Offline Sailor

  • Wan-to-fish
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 239
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Ideal Dropshot trace
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 02:30:34 PM »
What length will the hook snoot be? I take it that one does not want the swivel to close to the hook.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Ideal Dropshot trace
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 02:42:32 PM »
My hook snoot is about 1m.
This trace diagram was made about 4 years ago. Most guys now prefer to have the leader only 1m long without the swivel, so that the leader knot is outside the top guide.

The knot I now use to join the leader to the braid is 7 turn Uni/ Fig 8.

EDIT: 2012
Have since ditched the 4m long mono leader and swopped it for a Braid leader.

Offline Sailor

  • Wan-to-fish
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 239
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Ideal Dropshot trace
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 03:32:04 PM »

The knot I now use to join the leader to the braid is Bimini braid to 7 turn Uni/double Fig 8.
I think I'm a bit dof today. Sorry was a stupid quetion.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Ideal Dropshot trace
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 04:07:33 PM »
I think I'm a bit dof today. Sorry was a stupid quetion.

No such thing as a stupid question!

Offline Sailor

  • Wan-to-fish
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 239
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Ideal Dropshot trace
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 04:15:01 PM »
Reefz. No I deleted the other question because that was stupid.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Ideal Dropshot trace
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 05:27:15 PM »
Nowadays I tie my leader to a swivel, and the join the swivel to the jig head with a split ring, it makes for easy changeover and has loads of other benefits doing it this way.

Tsutsuma

  • Guest
Re: Ideal Dropshot trace
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 05:46:14 PM »
Good stuff guys - thought me how to do it correctly

J-Rock

  • Guest
Re: Ideal Dropshot trace
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 02:15:14 AM »
 :tkx: for the pic reefz... Dropshot is something new to me, so i would have probably taken the leaderline straight to the dropshot jig...

J-Rock

  • Guest
Re: Ideal Dropshot trace
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 02:18:03 AM »
What length will the hook snoot be? I take it that one does not want the swivel to close to the hook.

Next week is the start of some major fishing... Can't wait....  (clap) (clap)

Offline Seerower

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 15
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Hartbeespoortdam, North West
Re: Ideal Dropshot trace
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 10:07:33 PM »
What would be the prefered knot be for attaching the fluorocarbon, to your dropshot weigthed jig ?


Fig 8 or Rapala ?




Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Ideal Dropshot trace
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 07:10:09 AM »
I suppose the preferred knot would be the Rapala Knot, because that gives the lure more freedom of movement, but I generally use the Fig 8.

Offline pieterh

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 287
  • Cred: 41
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban-Waterfall
Re: Ideal Dropshot trace
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 08:20:27 AM »
I use a small snap swivel at the jighead.
Give movement and easy to change.
Any suggestions with that ?

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Ideal Dropshot trace
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 08:27:13 AM »
Not crazy about snaps and swivels on Jigheads... they're too visible for small jigheads 1/8 and 1/4oz - affects the bite rate, especially with picky feeders like Grunter. I tie fluoro straight to the jighead...  :dunno:

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Ideal Dropshot trace
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 08:39:43 AM »
Not crazy about snaps and swivels on Jigheads... they're too visible for small jigheads 1/8 and 1/4oz - affects the bite rate, especially with picky feeders like Grunter. I tie fluoro straight to the jighead...  :dunno:


I agree 100%

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: Ideal Dropshot trace
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 08:55:36 AM »
for smaller jigheads coupled with small minnows or worms, tying leader directly to the jughead is winner. anything from 3in upwards (lure size), i am too lazy so I use the boone clips (25lb rated). they are less visible than a swivel/splitring combo and I have never broken one yet. it is the quickest way to change a lure. If I am fishing dropshot and there is surface action nearby, I can be on a surface lure again in a matter of seconds.
fluoro leader also depends on size and weight of your lure coupled with the braid you using. If Im fishing 8lb braid, then 10-12lb leader is more than enough. 15lb upwards, the finesse starts to be lost. I will use 15lb if I know there is a good chance of a bustup or cut-off in the bricks. this is on the lighter rigs - 6-8ft stick, 2000-3000 size reels.
9-11 ft and 3000 and above, i would be fishing 15lb braid anyway, so a 15-30lb leader, often tied straight on to the lure. otherwise, I will make use of the 45lb boone clips.

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: Ideal Dropshot trace
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 09:02:20 AM »
I forgot to mention - I no longer tie the leader directly onto braid. Although unorthodox, I tie a small swiver to the braid using a berkley knot. the best knot I have seen for tying braid to a swivel or a lure. Leader length depends on rod length, but 1-1.3m. I then tie the leader to the swivel, and then either directly to the lure or a Boone clip.

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: Ideal Dropshot trace
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 09:12:51 AM »
I've started using these Norman speed clips , for quick changing of lures /jigheads , they come in small sizes as well , so less visible when fishing for the small fry .

Offline Seerower

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 15
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Hartbeespoortdam, North West
Re: Ideal Dropshot trace
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 02:57:17 PM »
Big  :tkx:


Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Ideal Dropshot trace
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 08:50:53 AM »
Not crazy about snaps and swivels on Jigheads... they're too visible for small jigheads 1/8 and 1/4oz - affects the bite rate, especially with picky feeders like Grunter. I tie fluoro straight to the jighead...  :dunno:


I agree 100%


Even the Kob too , they dont like any clip infront of the lure . You can test it yourself , I can almost be sure  100% you will get more bites from the one without the clip .
I never use clips for Jigheads , loop knot [ Rapala knot , Snoek knot ,What ever you want to call it]
The norman clips are nice .


In PE , Predator plugs , makes a very very nice clip , they are available all over .
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal