Author Topic: Bucktail jigs are one of almost forgotten, heroes of the saltwater fishing scene  (Read 21570 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline BJR

  • Ben
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 438
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • When Fishing , SIZE does not matter !!
  • Location: MELMOTH - Zululand, KZN - SA
@ Carl.................good post you started.......

Do you know any DIY-anglers tying their own bucktail jigs  & who is also selling ?

The gripe I have with Tackle-shops is that if you look for small 1/4oz & smaller to say 1 or 1,5oz in certain colors , then its either they don't have , out of stock , will order , never get the stock , or some excuse.

Where do you guys buy from in yr area ?

Offline DavePE

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 74
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
I know Alcocks in Port Elizabeth make their own bucktails.

Contact details on their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Alcocks-Fishing-Tackle-280188895426320/

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
I make them for the fun of it, more satisfaction when you get a fish on it. w;k
Reach for a bream!

Offline BJR

  • Ben
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 438
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • When Fishing , SIZE does not matter !!
  • Location: MELMOTH - Zululand, KZN - SA
Thks....will give them a try. :tkx:

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
I make them for the fun of it, more satisfaction when you get a fish on it. w;k

Gav please post some pics

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
I haven't made in a while but I just received some new jig heads that need to be painted and dressed :hnthnt:   
Reach for a bream!

Offline Moby

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Hermanus Western Cape
Nothing like catching big fish on artificials (70 m down). We got 7 out of 9 fish this size on bucktail jigs in 40 minutes.  In fact the cob seemed to prefer bucktails to pilchards and squid.  I attach a large plastic grub to the jig hook to accentuate the vibration.  Bounce the jig on the bottom a few times then work it up a couple of metres in case the fish are off the bottom.  Drop down and repeat, nothing frantic. Tip: Make sure the fish are showing on the sounder before you try this or it might become a long day.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 08:31:40 PM by Moby »

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Booooooommmm!!!! Thats the way you do it.  :welc: Moby. Great fish and that rod doesn't look too heavy, do they give you a fight?
Reach for a bream!

Offline Moby

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Hermanus Western Cape
They fight really hard in the beginning, you got to hang on a bit, gets easier when you eventually get their head up. Exhilarating stuff!  Also good fun catching big fish on jigs in your own back yard.

Offline carll

  • Spin a Holic
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
Great Catch !

Offline carll

  • Spin a Holic
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
@ Carl.................good post you started.......

Do you know any DIY-anglers tying their own bucktail jigs  & who is also selling ?

The gripe I have with Tackle-shops is that if you look for small 1/4oz & smaller to say 1 or 1,5oz in certain colors , then its either they don't have , out of stock , will order , never get the stock , or some excuse.

Where do you guys buy from in yr area ?

Thanks Moby

I bought most of my Bucktails from the Alcocks Brothers 

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
 :welc: Moby...

I have to say (Besides the fact that I am a terrible artificial angler) that bucktail jigs are pretty awesome. Gav gave me one to test out in December and managed to get a few bumps on it. He has caught plenty Garrick and Kob and hooked 2 or 3 Springer in a session fishing with them as well. I do need to fish them more!

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
It has to be my go to lure when it comes to saltwater.
Reach for a bream!

Offline lebaka

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 860
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • i break bills
  • Location: boksburg
love using them when light jigging but the cuta love them just as much.........have lost 5 in quick time gets a bit pricey
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Offline Moby

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Hermanus Western Cape
here is our new foster kitten - we named him Bucktail! :-)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 12:42:21 PM by Moby »

Offline tackle whore

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 196
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: cape town
Who can tie me a bunch of bucktails I  got a few nice moulds just need them tied in calf tail , don't have the time ? Happy to trade a few doz for a few tied .

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Thanks for the good read .


Never really worked a buck tail in the rivers sor surf , but will get a couple of smaller ones and give them a go.
I have a couple of big ones and have also been successfull on kob from a boat , and some tail .






@@tw , I have some time , and plenty of bucktail , send me a pm and we can see if I could help .

Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Sean83

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Amanzimtoti
Nice article thanks. Recently got back into fishing and giving spinning/dropshot a go. Will definitely be giving bucktails a go!

Offline colin

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 752
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kelland , Randburg
 :welc: Sean happy  :fshn: :fshn:   :toppie:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 08:56:36 PM by colin »
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline Mal Hannes

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 487
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
I am here in my favorite hunting grounds the Kowie river.

I want to be less dependant on prawns etc and try lures more.

I have never caught anything on lures except deep-sea. Or Zambia while Trolling.

So now I am trying both buck tail and surface lures.

The water is very clear at the moment and  I see no life around.

Normally I would see lots of mullet but nothing today.

Any advice for buck tails in very clear water.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 07:32:41 AM by Mal Hannes »
Either I am fishing or dreaming of fishing!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal