Author Topic: Casting Distance  (Read 5556 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ulua

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 92
  • Cred: 5
  • Gender: Male
  • Release the Garrick
  • Location: East London
Casting Distance
« on: August 22, 2014, 06:31:07 PM »
I was out testing rods for casting distance on the rugby field trying to find out the difference in casting distance between different rod lengths and setups (spinning vs overhead). For some land based and boat based areas around heavy surf the extra distance means the difference between strikes and no action.

My test showed that

80m casting distance on Temple Reef GT 80-10 (Pathfinder) Stella 10k SW /SOM 16k spool loaded with JBH 100lbs casting 120g chisel nose plug.

85m casting distance on a Shimano 10ft rod with the same reel and lure above.

100m casting distance with a 9ft6 CD rod and a Daiwa overhead reel and the above lure.

I would really be interested to know what casting distance you guys are getting with what setups...rod, reel, braid and lure measure on a rugby field and not estimated on the beach or sea as perspective and actual are sometimes vary different and as men we all tend to add on a few inches.


I would also be interested in any tips or technics to increase distance.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:42:36 PM by ulua »
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Offline jball7204

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 274
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban North, KZN
Re: Casting Distance
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 08:13:55 PM »
Spinning - 11' Assassin Amia with a Shimano Sustain 5000 loaded with Gosen PE2 Braid (25lb I think it is) with short needlenose 45g plug throws 100-140m depending on your mood and the wind. 120m pretty consistently.

It's a nicely balanced outfit.

I was watching a guy on the beach (from 100m away or so) getting the same, if not better results with what looked like a 14' rod, a multiplier and a larger plug, probably 120g + or so. But you can't do that with that setup for too long. I think he lasted 10-15 min.


"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline ulua

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 92
  • Cred: 5
  • Gender: Male
  • Release the Garrick
  • Location: East London
Re: Casting Distance
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 06:32:54 AM »
Thanks for the feedback did you measure the 100 to 140m on a rugby field, as perspective and estimate on the beach and sea are some times very different to actual and as men we all guilty of adding on a few inches.
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Casting Distance
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 05:10:31 PM »
It was a while back since we tested our casting, but if I remember I was getting 60-80m with my el Cheapo Daiwa Monstermesh 8ft/Stella 10K FA. The one guy with us was getting 100m with a Gipang 8ft, a Stella 20K FA, with Jigman Ultra 100lb braid casting big Carpenter poppers.

Offline ulua

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 92
  • Cred: 5
  • Gender: Male
  • Release the Garrick
  • Location: East London
Re: Casting Distance
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 07:25:03 PM »
120m with big poppers and 100lbs braid that's impressive.

I was testing with a predator plugs on a field which may not have loaded the popping rod compared to a big popper as I was scare that the impact may have damaged the popper.

Need to try in the river or dam with a popper.


Any tips or technics that you picked up from him that you could pass on?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:48:27 PM by ulua »
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Offline ulua

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 92
  • Cred: 5
  • Gender: Male
  • Release the Garrick
  • Location: East London
Re: Casting Distance
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 07:44:21 PM »
Also going to give it try with the standard Stella spool to compare vs the SOM spool.


I think the Jigman is somewhat thinner than the JB Hollow 100lbs, which would increase distance.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:46:42 PM by ulua »
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Offline jball7204

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 274
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban North, KZN
Re: Casting Distance
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 12:17:53 PM »
Thanks for the feedback did you measure the 100 to 140m on a rugby field, as perspective and estimate on the beach and sea are some times very different to actual and as men we all guilty of adding on a few inches.

No, in the sea. I let the lure drop to the bottom, take up the slack and then measure from when I feel the lure. The Gosen braid is marked with a different colour every 10m and a white mark every 1m.
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline travelmember

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 663
  • Cred: 49
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town Western Cape
Re: Casting Distance
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 03:54:22 PM »
Wow, Guess I need to practise. With a Williamson stickbait, exage GT 270, Stella 10k and 50lb Power pro, I struggle to get 60m :cnfzd
With an old Berkely 9' and Stradic 8000 with 48lb Gosen, I get just over 80m with a Ashley Read keel spinner.


Distances are at sea from the boat. Line is marked every 10m as that is what I cut off after every trip.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Casting Distance
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 04:51:46 PM »
A chisel nose plug flies like a ballistic missile,


The moment you start casting poppers and stick baits is a totally different game.


Casting from the beach and rocks are also a lot easier compared to a rocking boat on choppy water.


There are a lot of factors that can influence the distance you are getting while fishing.


I am getting ready for the trip to Vanuatu in September and accurate casting and correct lure presentation at this stage are more important factors for me than getting distance.


Coming back in October distance is again a big factor for me because I need to cover as much water as possible while standing on a rock.


A balanced setup will give you distance, pressentation and accuarcy ...

Offline jball7204

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 274
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban North, KZN
Re: Casting Distance
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 06:01:48 PM »
I agree, on firm ground you can put as much power in as your tackle and knots can handle, but standing on the rocks or on a boat is completely another story, while you're trying not to fall over and get injured you're losing range....
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Casting Distance
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 01:57:37 PM »
120m with big poppers and 100lbs braid that's impressive.

I was testing with a predator plugs on a field which may not have loaded the popping rod compared to a big popper as I was scare that the impact may have damaged the popper.

Need to try in the river or dam with a popper.


Any tips or technics that you picked up from him that you could pass on?
The guy concerned is 6ft 7, weighing in at 120kg and strong as an ox too... not much you can do to match pure brute strength!

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: Casting Distance
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 04:05:35 PM »
The distance expected should be: 70-140m depending on who and where you are.
Thats the simplest answer - too many variables unfortunately. Get a healthy set-up like the 11ft assassin, paired with a stradic or sustain - 30lb braid - for surf spinning of course. From a boat, anything over 8ft can become awkward.
I believe that far too much emphasis is placed on distance, and other variables besides your equipment that have a greater effect on distance (technique, platform, conditions - in that order) make comparisons a little more difficult.
Sure, equipment will render variations in results, but to a lesser extant than above. this assumes you are comparing roughly similarly classed equipment...
One must consider equipment and it's performance in landing what you have managed to hook as well....

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal