Author Topic: Jigging Amberjacks and dodging Sharks  (Read 5729 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline fedu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 530
  • Cred: 70
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Luanda, Angola
Jigging Amberjacks and dodging Sharks
« on: September 12, 2010, 09:27:50 PM »
Weekend 11/12 Set


Has you might have seen from the week post it seems that Luanda water temp has finally started increasing, it rainned a bit during the week and sudently a mass of warmer water arrived near Luanda..





I wanted to be hable to fish Saturday but unfortunatly had to go to a farm in Center Angola at Quibala in Kwanza Sul province +- 300 Km away from Luanda





The closer to water I could get there was near this small river stream






And what I could find there instead of fish were this guys





Local hospitality was great but I wanted to get out as early as I could to be able to arrive in Luanda and program my Sunday fishing trip





Arrived at Luanda by the end of the afternoon and phone my friend Juca that you might remember from the Kissembo trip.
While we stayed at Kissembo he told me he had never jigged before and would love to try it out.
I was suprised, Juca is an excellent angler and also a proficient spearo and told him next oportunity I would invite him.
Juca was also arriving at Luanda he had gonne to São Braz for an overnight R&S fishing trip and we schedule our meeting at the Boat club for Sunday 6:00 AM


Looked at the surface water temp charts and it seemed the warmer water ball had moved south out of my reach :-(





We went South and first spot my fish finder did not show fish activity (spot 1)

Moved futher South, no bird activity and we started seeing shark after shark, it stayed like that all day we must have counted around 50 sharks all day every couple hundred meters there they were





Arrived at another spot and water was again infested with this red fish (spot 2)





Red fish after red fish after red fish, I moved futher South to another deeper spot (spot 3)

After many drops and a lot of sounding I finally managed to put Juca on his first amberjack on a jig








Here it is, not very big but after all the hard work to locate it we were happy with whatever we got





Many drops but we could not locate another Amberjack


Moved north back to spot 2 and in betwwen red fish I managed to jig two amberjacks in a row





the other one





We were really strugling, all we could see were sharks, sharks and more sharks.

Almost 1 o'clock we decided to go back home.


On the way home we stopped again on spot 1 and finally I saw some fish activity on the fish finder and told Juca to try it


After a couple minutes FISH ON





And here it is, Juca was happy finally a nice Amberjack on his first jigging trip ever





We called it a day.

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: Jigging Amberjacks and dodging Sharks
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 09:33:28 PM »
Nice report fedu and some nice A.J's as well.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Jigging Amberjacks and dodging Sharks
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 09:34:09 PM »
Nice Report Fedu, you are so spoilt with your rich waters.

Offline fedu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 530
  • Cred: 70
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Luanda, Angola
Re: Jigging Amberjacks and dodging Sharks
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 09:35:56 PM »
By the way the guys on the right on this video with my friend careca is Juca in is diving outfit

MEROU LUANDA

Tsutsuma

  • Guest
Re: Jigging Amberjacks and dodging Sharks
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 10:28:42 PM »
Nice - very nice fedu
Keep it comming please
Can you let me know on that speedo COB - how did you guys catch that fish??
Thanks
Carlos
}<(((*>

Offline fedu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 530
  • Cred: 70
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Luanda, Angola
Re: Jigging Amberjacks and dodging Sharks
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 10:45:13 PM »
 :hehe:  The "Speedo COB" was caugh jigging we got many that way.

Here is another "SPEEDO" cob guys in USA only picked on the speedo instead of looking at the fish :-)





And here is a regular "proper shorts" cob  w;k





Tsutsuma

  • Guest
Re: Jigging Amberjacks and dodging Sharks
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 10:54:14 PM »
Nice Cobs fedu
I have been going on a friends boat at Richards Bay to catch a nice big cob - but did not get one.
This one in the picture was caught at night by his wife on bait at the bottom
I have not heard them in SA jig for cob - will ask again.
Great fish man
Carlos
}<(((*>

benniejordaan

  • Guest
Re: Jigging Amberjacks and dodging Sharks
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 11:03:48 PM »
Damn I love reading your reports!

Good stuff Mr. Fernando!

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Jigging Amberjacks and dodging Sharks
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 07:57:50 AM »
Awesome Fedu....

I wish I could get back to Luanda again.

Did you have problems with sharks taking fish of the line?

Last year I remember seeing a lot of them cruising on the surface but did not loose any fish to the tax man like what happens on the east coast.

Tight lines .

Offline super_daav

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 855
  • Cred: 74
  • Gender: Male
  • Lower Zambezi 2009
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Jigging Amberjacks and dodging Sharks
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 08:54:09 AM »
Nice report!! very jealous!!
Kingfisher.co.za
Official Daiwa agent

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Jigging Amberjacks and dodging Sharks
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 04:52:28 PM »
Great stuff!  :sml:

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Jigging Amberjacks and dodging Sharks
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 04:57:05 PM »
Yep, I agree with Bennie, always a thrill to read Fedu's reports - well written, interesting and great pics! Brilliant! Have some cred!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal