Author Topic: Sardines, Sardines and still more Sardines  (Read 4889 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Sardines, Sardines and still more Sardines
« on: September 12, 2010, 08:43:31 PM »
On Saturday we launched at 07h00 and made our way out to the 45m depth area, there was a SE wind blowing and a light rain, water surface temperature was around 21 deg. C. By 08h00 the rain came pouring down hard and 1 of the guys got so sick he asked me to take him back to the docks which I duly did.  On the way in the visibility was so low I could hardly make out the lights in the harbour channel. Once back on dry land he started feeling better and had something to eat and drink and was soon refreshed.
Whilst at the Marina I met Greg from Shag n Release.
I suggested to the guys not to give in to sea sickness and that we go back out and fish in the sheltered bay area with light tackle just outside the harbour area which was totally protected from this wind and was as flat as a small farm dam, and they agreed.

It was awesome her and I prepared the light tackle when we heard what sounded like a waterfall and then we saw shoals of sardines all around us going crazy up and down. I can’t believe that we still have sardines around in September never mind Durban.
It is quite amazing to watch them as they jump and flutter going in one direction and then in another and then turning again whilst churning up the water to make it look like it is boiling.
I did not see any sharks or game fish around these shoals.
The fishing was great fun with the light 10lb tackle and the first fish we caught was a size Slinger of all things in the shallows. We also caught several Soldier Bream and a lot of Rockod; Shad was in abundance and everyone soon had their quota but we also hooked up many undersize Shad. The Mackerel were very active amongst the Sardines and we caught many, and many were larger than the size Shad.
Catch of the day was a lovely Blue Stingray which gave an excellent fight on the light tackle.
As the day progressed the weather improved and by afternoon it was warm, the wind had calmed down considerably and the rain had cleared.

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: Sardines, Sardines and still more Sardines
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 09:20:33 PM »
Strange that there's still a lot of sards around and strange that there were no game fish or sharks around them  :cnfzd 

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Sardines, Sardines and still more Sardines
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 09:56:32 PM »
Can you believe that sardines were netted at Adington this morning!

benniejordaan

  • Guest
Re: Sardines, Sardines and still more Sardines
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 08:04:12 AM »
Sards is the reason why fishing is so poor at the moment!

Nice reports Mike!

Offline Jakes

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 798
  • Cred: 20
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cary, North Carolina, USA
Re: Sardines, Sardines and still more Sardines
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 08:24:17 AM »
Sards is the reason why fishing is so poor at the moment!

Nice reports Mike!

Sorry for the Jack guys but Bennie could you please explain why you say this? Maybe I'm just a bit dof but I would have thought that the abundance of sards would make for good fishing conditions?
“Success is a journey, not a destination”
Ben Sweetland

Offline super_daav

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 855
  • Cred: 74
  • Gender: Male
  • Lower Zambezi 2009
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Sardines, Sardines and still more Sardines
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 08:37:05 AM »
Probably cause the game fish are so "stuffed" that they're taking permanent siestas and not chomping any baits...  :dunno:

Crazy to think that sards are still around...

PS Nice report FA!
Kingfisher.co.za
Official Daiwa agent

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Sardines, Sardines and still more Sardines
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 08:39:01 AM »

Sorry for the Jack guys but Bennie could you please explain why you say this? Maybe I'm just a bit dof but I would have thought that the abundance of sards would make for good fishing conditions?

What you say is what most people think, but the truth is the excact opposite happens becasue the fish are so full of their bounty.
Think about this.... How easily would I tempt you with a meal straight after you ate a 1Kg stake? Now just imagine how easily I could tempt you stight after you ate 2 of those stake? No chance!!!!!!! You will be Dik soos Vrik.

Offline Jakes

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 798
  • Cred: 20
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cary, North Carolina, USA
Re: Sardines, Sardines and still more Sardines
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 08:46:56 AM »
What you say is what most people think, but the truth is the excact opposite happens becasue the fish are so full of their bounty.
Think about this.... How easily would I tempt you with a meal straight after you ate a 1Kg stake? Now just imagine how easily I could tempt you stight after you ate 2 of those stake? No chance!!!!!!! You will be Dik soos Vrik.

I suppose it makes sense but I would have thought that the game fish would at least still have been around ... even if they're not feeding? ...  :dunno:
“Success is a journey, not a destination”
Ben Sweetland

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Sardines, Sardines and still more Sardines
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 08:49:42 AM »

I suppose it makes sense but I would have thought that the game fish would at least still have been around ... even if they're not feeding? ...  :dunno:

They may have been, I just did not see them. The sards have been here for over a month now I think the gamefish are all fat.
I do think that this long sardine activity in Durban is going to make for a whopping good summer gamefish season, and the warm water is moving in. Let's wait and see.

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Sardines, Sardines and still more Sardines
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 04:53:35 PM »
Awesome FA!

benniejordaan

  • Guest
Re: Sardines, Sardines and still more Sardines
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 06:32:16 PM »
Fish will only work as hard as is necessary to sustain themselves. Generally, the gain from the meal must outweigh the amount energy spent to get it. A predator would be stupid to chase down whatever when a - the water around them are full of food and b - they will be focused on those sardines.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal