Author Topic: Rod Building  (Read 3564 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline GT Mayhem

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 413
  • Cred: 11
  • Location: JHB
Rod Building
« on: June 05, 2014, 02:09:15 PM »
looking for a rod builder to build up the blank i have, its a 450g jigging blank.
Does anyone know of a good builder i can use?
i usually use Craig Neil but unfortunately he has broken his leg quite badly and will be out of action for some time.


Im in Jhb area.

Offline tkei

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1226
  • Cred: 92
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Rod Building
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 02:42:04 PM »
check with Et on the site. his work looks incredible fromt he pics he has posted.

Offline GT Mayhem

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 413
  • Cred: 11
  • Location: JHB
Re: Rod Building
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 02:51:41 PM »
I see he builds a lot of fly rods, I wonder if he will be familiar with building a jigging rod? Especially a heavy duty one.  But I will ask him.  Thanx.

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Rod Building
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 03:07:25 PM »
I see he builds a lot of fly rods, I wonder if he will be familiar with building a jigging rod? Especially a heavy duty one.  But I will ask him.  Thanx.


I can build anything from a fly rod to deepsea rods for marlin. My last build had a Jigging Stick in the kit.














Yes I have built a lot of fly rods lately, but other times I build a lot of other stuff too. I guess it boils down to demand. I stay busy with what people wants me to build.

I think if you go back on some of my threads under D.I.Y. Rodbuilding you might get a better idea of what I can do.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:12:02 PM by E.T. »

Offline shaheen

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 74
  • Cred: 4
  • one never tries to file, but rather fails to try
  • Location: pietermaritzburg
Re: Rod Building
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 03:07:43 PM »
gremlins in margate. i understand you said in jhb, but it will be worth the trouble. their workmanship is outstanding.

Offline GT Mayhem

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 413
  • Cred: 11
  • Location: JHB
Re: Rod Building
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 03:18:51 PM »
pm sent ET.

@shaheen, thanx but im sure ill get sorted here in gp

Offline GT Mayhem

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 413
  • Cred: 11
  • Location: JHB
Re: Rod Building
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 02:50:45 PM »
just an update, i got Derek Smith to build my Blackhole 450g blank for me.
When i first spoke to Derek i told him that i am happy having bmnag guides fitted to save on cost,
they still are bullet proof guides, he quoted me R1500 all inclusive.
Well somewhere down the road Derek felt that he like the msng SiC guides better and so thats what he built it with for
the same price. Really happy with the way it came out, ill load a few pics but they really dont do justice to hes workmanship.
We decided to go with the same as the factory design, just change the colour of the trimmings from gold to pewter.
Really chuffed, was quite a wait but worth it.
Need to get a bend on it now.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 02:52:33 PM by GT Mayhem »

Offline GT Mayhem

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 413
  • Cred: 11
  • Location: JHB
Re: Rod Building
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 02:53:44 PM »
.

Offline GT Mayhem

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 413
  • Cred: 11
  • Location: JHB
Re: Rod Building
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 02:54:31 PM »
..

Offline GT Mayhem

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 413
  • Cred: 11
  • Location: JHB
Re: Rod Building
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 03:03:25 PM »
few pics in the sun

Offline GT Mayhem

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 413
  • Cred: 11
  • Location: JHB
Re: Rod Building
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 03:04:19 PM »
.

Offline GT Mayhem

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 413
  • Cred: 11
  • Location: JHB
Re: Rod Building
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 03:04:57 PM »
sorry, not too good with a camera :blush:

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal