Author Topic: Amia vs Vengeance  (Read 18948 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline LGF

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1042
  • Cred: 80
  • Gender: Male
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
  • Location: Pretoria
Amia vs Vengeance
« on: January 16, 2014, 08:23:34 AM »
With my B-day looming, the missus asked what I want and all I could say is a fishing rod..... I mean what else is there?


So yesterday I popped in at Fishing Pro Shop in Lynwood. Asked around, picked-up most of the rods and the bloke showed me an Assassin Amia, priced at around R1800. A very good friend of mine pitched up and said that is too expensive for a probable once a year use and suggested the Shimano Vengeance 300XH, which priced at R450.


So here's the question, which one?
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline Bwana

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 916
  • Cred: 206
  • Gender: Male
  • Deep Blue Addict
  • Location: Shelly Beach, KZN
Re: Amia vs Vengeance
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 08:30:46 AM »
The Amia is the Rolls Royce and an awesome stick, however I am in the same boat as you here and am leaning toward the Vengeance for my Sustain 5000 purely because I don't fish off the side too often and it will be an occasional thing. The Vengeance is a solid stick, good finishes for the price. My only problem with it is the butt section is a little too short but if you can see past that it is the right choice. Not knocking the Amia, it is purely price versus usage. My 2c  :-)

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Amia vs Vengeance
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 08:34:44 AM »
If your name is HP you get both :blush: to be honest the only reason I got the Amia was it was a great price. I fished my Vengeance hard at the birthday bash last year and it was great. Perhaps a little undergunned for those bigger 3oz spoons but at R500 who can complain

Offline kevf

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 677
  • Cred: 19
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: underberg,kzn
Re: Amia vs Vengeance
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 08:37:23 AM »
Basil Manning had the amia on special for R1299, don't know if its still on! ive got the amia, yet to use it tho. Worth bearing in mind what weight lures you want to throw
its cruiser country

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Amia vs Vengeance
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 08:46:06 AM »
Gavin Erwin has a Vengeance and he loves it, fishes all sorts of techniques with it and I have seen it handle some big fish, def worth getting it IMO!

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Amia vs Vengeance
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 08:52:45 AM »
Agree with your mate , if you only gonna fish with it a couple of times a season rather go for the Vengeance . It’s a good rod that has proven itself at a fraction of the cost of the Amia. Mike Pike will buy the Vengeance from you after a year if you feel you need to upgrade to the Amia.

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Amia vs Vengeance
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 09:25:15 AM »
Is the vengeance available in 11ft?

I know you get a 10ft and I did see its now available in 12ft but yet to see the 11ft :dunno:

Offline fishy1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 176
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Amia vs Vengeance
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 09:25:28 AM »
Good morning guys,
 
I have the Assassin Amia with micro guides as well as the Assassin Amia XH. I am completely happy with both. I use the micro guide version for the 20lb braid and smaller spoons, dropshot and CID's. The XH for the 30lb braid and heavier spoons and bigger paddletails. I have tried other brands over the years. I was happy with the 9 foot and 10 foot 6 Loomis and Franklin platinum series dropshot rods as well which were much cheaper. However, once you have fished Assassin Amia, you will never go back! Sorry but i cannot comment on the Vengeance Series.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Amia vs Vengeance
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 10:49:53 AM »
Is the vengeance available in 11ft?

I know you get a 10ft and I did see its now available in 12ft but yet to see the 11ft :dunno:

8 foot 2oz 10 foot 3oz and the 12 foot also rated to 3oz. That 12 foot is actually a carp rod

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Amia vs Vengeance
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 10:57:47 AM »
Good morning guys,
 
I have the Assassin Amia with micro guides as well as the Assassin Amia XH. I am completely happy with both. I use the micro guide version for the 20lb braid and smaller spoons, dropshot and CID's. The XH for the 30lb braid and heavier spoons and bigger paddletails. I have tried other brands over the years. I was happy with the 9 foot and 10 foot 6 Loomis and Franklin platinum series dropshot rods as well which were much cheaper. However, once you have fished Assassin Amia, you will never go back! Sorry but i cannot comment on the Vengeance Series.

What lengths are your Amia's fishy? What's the diffs between the Microguides one and the XH?

Offline fishy1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 176
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Amia vs Vengeance
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 11:27:55 AM »
Both are 11 foot........the one is just lighter than the other.

Offline Shivaan

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 566
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, Queensburgh
Re: Amia vs Vengeance
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 03:05:11 PM »
I have Both the 12ft and 8ft Vengeance Shad and love them! (got the 8ft free when I bought the 12ft from BM) You also get a 11ft as well. The 8ft is rated at 20-50g and the 12ft 50-100g. With the 12ft I threw a 3oz sinker with a whole sardine no problem! the 8ft paired with 4000 exage throws a 45g spoon miles...

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Amia vs Vengeance
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 07:39:07 PM »
I have a few Vengeance rods  , I like the 9 ft one more than the 10ft .
The Amia , looks like a Sweet stick , but going on Weight ratings , the Amia must be a softer rod , correct me if I am Wrong .

I would suggest a softer rod for Plastic fishing.
like the guy mentioned above Amia = Merc    /  Vengeance= Toyota  :hehe: .


I saw a thread where Mike Pike , said sweet words about the Daiwa Laguna rods  , how do they compare ?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 07:42:28 PM by Lenny »
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline j.s.smith

  • Johny Peters
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 90
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • For the love of fishing.
  • Location: Middelburg Mp
Re: Amia vs Vengeance
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 07:42:25 PM »
I have the 11ft Shimano Vengeance Shad XH it's rated 50 to 100g casting wt I haven't used it yet but it sure looks very well put together.
Early birds catches the most worms. Early worms catches the most fish.

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: Amia vs Vengeance
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 07:54:41 PM »
I have one of the first Amia that came out with blue flashing AA11-2, 11foot, rated 1-2 oz but can handle 3oz. Perfect condition if anyone interested send me a PM.
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Amia vs Vengeance
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 07:33:12 AM »
I took my new Vengeance 9ft XH rated at 50 - 100g for a spin yesterday afternoon and it performed well. Good value for money and well balanced with my Diawa Exceler 4000H.
I have no experience with the Amia so I can't comment on it.

Offline LGF

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1042
  • Cred: 80
  • Gender: Male
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Amia vs Vengeance
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 10:41:11 AM »
Thanx for the comments guys, i ended up with the Vengeance, am yet to cast some weights with it at the local school grounds, but is seems like it will do the trick, just hope it will keep up with my excessive casting technique and the inherent crazy actions i tend to involuntarily do when I get any lure into water :rotfl :hyst: 
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline LGF

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1042
  • Cred: 80
  • Gender: Male
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Amia vs Vengeance
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 10:42:13 AM »
PS. I got the 11ft......
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline Plugger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 977
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: Amia vs Vengeance
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 04:16:41 PM »
I got the Amia with micro guides fpr Christmas from the wife. I absolutly love it, throws a spoon a country mile. I have been using a Berkley Air but it has stayed in the tube so far. I am not sure if the microwave guides actualy make a difference or not but I much prefer the 11ft to the 9ft.
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Amia vs Vengeance
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 12:19:02 PM »
I got the Amia with micro guides fpr Christmas from the wife. I absolutly love it, throws a spoon a country mile. I have been using a Berkley Air but it has stayed in the tube so far. I am not sure if the microwave guides actualy make a difference or not but I much prefer the 11ft to the 9ft.

How does it throw a 1oz Plugger? With ease?

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal