Author
Topic: I need freshie help please.  (Read 1744 times)

Offline jaenswart

• Retired
  • Cred: 0
I need freshie help please.
« on: December 26, 2013, 07:26:54 am »
I've searched a bit but cannot find basics on kurper and shallow barble fishing.

Can anybody please point me to topic or thread where traces and tactic are discussed please.

Offline dodger

• always willing to help
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 164
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
Re: I need freshie help please.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 07:41:59 am »
merry Christmas Jaen, I have something on  :krpr: just need to dig it out
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline Ziggy

• Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 182
  • Teeth that bite!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 08:01:20 am »
here is something I wrote up for some pals for catching bream on the Zambezi - I dont know if this will be helpful...............

Where to find them
Particularly in the side eddies and quiet pools off the main river. Especially where there are weed mats. Although you might find them in the open waters as the schools travel past, your best bet is to look for them where they are a little bit more protected. Like next to reeds, for an easy accessible escape, or any vegetation that can provide a certain amount of cover.

Tackle.
A light rod with a small coffee grinder is best for bream. 8-10lb breaking strain line is fine.
You can fly fish for them – but not an efficient method for bream

Terminal tackle
There are various options
  • Use a mepps number 3 spinner - preferably remove the treble hook and replace it with a single hook. Put on an earthworm or two and cast. When you feel a soft bite, set the hook. If you see the fish following the spinner then immediately stop retrieving and let the spinner fall to the bottom and watch your line - the fish will follow the spinner down and eat the worms. It is very important to watch your line especially on the initial drop as these fish can bite very softly.  If you see them swimming on the surface cast the spinner past them and they might follow it, if not retrieve the spinner up to them and let it drop to the bottom they will follow it down
  • Use a float – this is one of the most effective ways of catching bream in the side pools and eddies. Use a small hook about 1 meter below the float (longer or shorter depending on the depth of the water being fished) – add a small split shot about 10cm above the hook. There are two ways fishing with a float. The first is to cast and just let the float drift the bait or settle – and watch for any movement. For this method, the worm should best be just off bottom so that the float can drift. The other is to cast out and very slowly retrieve with occasional pauses - watching and feeling for the bite. Here you adjust the length of the leader below the float – a bit longer so that the worm is moving just along the bottom. When you feel a very soft bite pause when and let them eat the worms a bit more - once you feel a more definite bite set the hook. Set the drag on the reel a bit light as they like to run –especially the larger ones.
  • Without a float – cast out and slowly retrieve as above. Fishing without a float tends to be a problem because you can get snagged easily. Use a running sinker (as light as possible) above a small swivel and then about 20-30cm of leader. Use a black swivel – silver swivels attract small tigers who will attack the swivel and bite you off
  • Bream also take flies – but it becomes quite difficult when there is a lot of weed around
  • Larger bream also take various art lures – but, you will lose a lot and it’s not worth it – especially if a small tiger fish (they hang around in the pools) decides to take your lure and cut you off because you are not using a wire trace.
Bait
Best are earthworms! If it’s a big worm – thread the worm (from the thicker head end) on to the hook until you reach the line – then push the sharp end of the hook through the worm – this leaves a long squiggly worm which is highly attractive to bream. If the worms are small – you can thread a few on.
Bream have tiny sharp teeth, and with those tiny mouths they can really steal the worm off the hook in a matter of seconds. So here's what you do, you either hide the whole hook inside the worm, making sure that only the sharp point is showing and the worm is tucked behind the extended barb just behind the hook's tip. This way they either have to suck in the whole hook or at least the tip, thus increasing your chances. This will probably buy you another 5 seconds, as they will continue to take bites out of the worm until your hook is shining in their eyes. If you still feel that you need to only hook half the worm in order for the rest of the worm to be able to move around attracting fish, then make sure you string the worm in the bottom half. This way you can still secure the top of the worm behind the first barb on the hook and still get the required effect. Now should the bream bite the worm while trying to suck it in, the worm would not slide of the hook that easily. It might tear off a piece or at the most bite off the moving part of the worm.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 08:03:05 am by Ziggy »

Offline jaenswart

• Retired
  • Cred: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 08:54:06 am »
Excellent Ziggy,  thank you.  :+ cred:

Offline dodger

• always willing to help
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 164
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 11:02:54 am »
Well done Ziggy, just about covered all the bases. What also works are the Sada Curly tails and a small jig head hook, also had some success with the strike pro tadpole lures. You can also get plastic maggots which also work and tend to stay on the hook a while All fished on light line 3kg max.

It also helps to feed an area with maroek if you can get it this has always been a good attractor.

The weed banks are an area that the kurper live in and just a small hook size 6 - 10 and a split shot on the line, bait up with earthworms (kariba reds) and just drop the hook and split shot through the holes in the weed bank, that's one of the ways we catch live bait at Jozini.

generally catch kurper in the shallows which holds the warmest water.

Some years ago we had success on the crocodile river near harties baiting the hook with one of the green weeds which was a bit slimy, we just wrapped it around the hook, this was late in the season though when the fish were bulking up for winter

« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 12:25:13 pm by dodger »
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA