Author Topic: Ponta do Ouro October 2013  (Read 7618 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Styx

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 244
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • I'm a professional small boy!
  • Location: Bethlehem, Freestate
Ponta do Ouro October 2013
« on: November 06, 2013, 11:12:02 AM »
 19 to 26 October 2013

 At long last I’m able to sit down at the computer and  relax.

 Getting through customs on the Moz side was hell. I  slipped through without having my vehicle and boat searched and having nasty  questions asked, but then again I’m an old “skelm”. Others in the group were  taxed on petrol (according to the customs official the petrol in cans in your  fuel hatches is taxable now, I think it’s not true). Officials also came to  vehicles and told the drivers that they had x cases of beer and y bottles of  whiskey that they needed to pay tax on even before the vehicles were searched, the  customs officials were correct in every instance (this only happened to the  guys who bought their booze at Boxer in Kosi, makes you think?). Tax was also  levied on cold-drinks and meat, so much for stocking up on the cheap side of  the border.

 On launching and beaching locals would run up and help  even if you told them you don’t need them. They would then ask for money and in  one case even threatening to go to the police, luckily my bud kept his cool and  insisted the ghillie get into his vehicle and that they go together to the police  right NOW. Needless to say he left with his tail between his legs. None of this  happened during our previous year’s trip so I’m getting a bit sour with Ponta.

 Fishing licences, crew certificates, navigation  certificates and such were obtained at greatly increased fees as it was a  Saturday. Some paperwork costs the same after hours and on weekends but others  carry a 50% and others a 100% increase. The official was not overly friendly  but still very professional.

 The guys on the beach monitoring paperwork and catches  used to be a grumpy and difficult bunch, this year they were very friendly,  professional and courteous. After day one they knew you had the right paperwork  and only wanted to know what fish you caught and brought out. They also kept us  up to date on what fish were coming out on the other boats.

 Frozen half-beaks were available at R10-00 each from  every ghillie and his aunt. If you’re staying at Coco Rico don’t engage or  accept help from Eugene (security guard that moonlights as a ghillie), he soon  thinks he is your best friend and pesters you for money and fish.

 We were 3 boats and 3 jetskis. Also fishing that week was  8 or 10 boats in a Nomads club comp. Nomads had a 29Meg base station and beach  controller. It was nice to know that somebody was monitoring the radio, but, it  was also irritating when the controller called each and every boat to enquire  how many fish (sailies and marlin) were released and how many fish were being  brought in to be weighed. Between our group chit-chat was kept to a minimum and  if we wanted to talk nonsense we called up and then changed to an alternate  frequency. I think it might have been wiser if they did not use Channel 19 for  club use.

 What I found very interesting was that on certain days  trends emerged. Most of the vessels, our group and Nomads included, either had  slow or blank days, and on other days everybody caught fish. It’s a solace to  know that it’s not only you that had blanked. Also it helps you to stay humble,  when you had a good day a lot of other vessels also had good days.

Fishing

 Water temperature averaged 23.1 deg C.
 I only saw 1 flying fish on the trip, a big one.

Bonnies, skipjack and such - were much less frequent and  smaller than the previous year.

 Yellowfin - were more abundant than last year, I doubt  there is a single boat that did not get any. 10kg fish were the order of the  day and on good days you could get a few. Weirdly enough when comparing notes  most of the fish had been caught in the same 1 to 2 hour time bracket even if  the catches were in different areas.

 Marlin - In our group a marlin was hooked but not landed.  Klippies had a marlin take a rapala and snap everything.
 Sailfish – I estimate 6 to 9 were landed, none by our  group.

 Dorado – a lucky few boats got some, they were holding  deep.

 Couta – one were landed by our group, the angler insists it’s  a wahoo but I’m of the opinion that it’s a couta

 Sharks and taxation – Styx got lucky and did not get  taxed, Devocean had a triple YFT hook-up and landed 3 heads.

 Unusual catches – Kitto landed a 20kg Prodigal son from  his ski, a beautifull fish. I lost one right next to the boat which I estimate  to have been 10 to 12 kgs. I brought it in too fast as I was scared of getting  taxed. So it was pretty green when it got to the boat, also the man on the gaff  was a bit over-exited. Third go with the gaff and it was gone, I believe the  gaff ripped the red head and chrome Halco from its mouth. Talk about  uncomfortable silence on the boat……………………. and unsaid and implied accusations…  At least some R&R at Fernandos heals wounds.
 Konas, Islanders and Feathers did not produce in our  group. Neither did slow trolling deadbaits. Most fish were caught on  Rappies/Halcos. Red heads and others with bright neon colours trolled deeper  did most of the damage. Most guys, myself included, had bite traces in front of  the rappies.

 Sprucing up the konas and islanders with fillets,  bellyshine and half-beaks did not help. The fish were only interested in  rappies/halco’s and not in any natural colours.

 Drifting with live bait or dead bait only produced  sharks. It starts out as fun when they take the bait but soon becomes  punishment as the biggest reels on my boat is only Shimano TLD25’s

 I have never seen so many whales in my life. It felt like  impala in the Kruger. Somebody would say “there is a whale!” and the rest would  go “ja fine”. Plenty dolphins too. I also saw a manta jumping twice in the same  spot. It would fly out of the water and do 2 or 3 backflips before crashing  down. I assume something must have been irritating its skin.

 The crew of Styx had a huge scare, while drifting and  nodding off a humungous whale surfaced and blew right between the motors, or so  we thought. On descending from our wild leaps we saw it was only a turtle, a  bloody big one, and we had a fine view of its tonsils and right down to its  stomach. It was so out of breath and had its mouth so wide open a crew member  reckoned he could see its sphincter from the inside.

 The “Pinnacle” areas seemed to yield the most fish and on  some days there were so many boats in such a small area that it felt like  navigating through a traffic jam. I also saw a lot inconsiderate moegoes, you  pick a clear line and troll along, and then some idiot cuts in front of you.  Then you have to change speed and direction without fouling your lines, and 3  minutes later the same bastard races in right in front of you and puts out  drift baits or stops to have breakfast.

 I cannot comprehend that in a world surrounded by water  there is people that have a need to get so close to other boats, that people  cannot read another boat’s course or think that you know a mythical spot and  they need to fish across your bow. Its days like these that I miss being on the  same river as an ethical fly-fisherman. I also have some beef with the scuba  diving operators, I know you have paying customers who want to dive, but  throttling back and allowing me 3 minutes to cross the reef won’t ruin you.

 Pulling up right in front of me and pointing at your  “Diver below” flag pisses me off. You, your customers and I have the same right  to be on or over the reef. I give the ducks a wide berth, why don’t you do the  same to me. And put a bigger flag up and do it high, I’m tired of squinting in  an effort to see that miniature flag of yours down between your motors. And if you’re  taking an afternoon off to do some fishing, TAKE DOWN YOUR FLAG so that I know  you don’t have divers in the water. Also, when I see your boat on the beach  with the diver flag still up, I am tempted to hire an excavator to dig a hole under  your boat to see if there is really guys down there.

 On windy days the launching and beaching were difficult  and stressfull, on the quiet days it was as easy as pie.
Getting stuck when  ditching the boat was at the order of the day. When loading the boat you could  only stick the trailer over the drop on the beach and had to winch the boat up  all the way to the trailer. Having 2 or more 4x4’s in the group is essential.

 On the last day fewer than half of the boats and jetski’s  could go out as there was no petrol available.
 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 11:14:51 AM by Styx »

Offline lebaka

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 860
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • i break bills
  • Location: boksburg
Re: Ponta do Ouro October 2013
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 12:40:25 PM »
tx for the report Oelof seems you are getting a little gatvol of ponta, i have never been there but by the sounds of it i would rather drive the extra 8 hours to paindane/guinjata  :dunno:

how is styx running all issues sorted i hope
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Offline Styx

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 244
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • I'm a professional small boy!
  • Location: Bethlehem, Freestate
Re: Ponta do Ouro October 2013
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 01:32:30 PM »
All hail the great breaker of bills, our one and only lebaka!!

Ja boet, I'm gatvol for Ponta. We've decided to do our 2014 trip at Sodwana. I still want to go farther up north in Moz. But then I want to go with a smaller group. Maybe 2 boats and and 1 or 2 crew per boat. It gets a bit much when every Tom, Dick and Harry wants to go out with you on the boat. You work harder in a smaller space and get less rod time. Also you get loudmouths or moaners or people who get sick and want to go back.

When I'm on the ocean I want to do my own thing, my own way and in my own time. Also I take time planning and packing and get irritated when somebody needs something and gets sent to me. If I had a ront for every time somebody came up to me and said"I need this or that and Pietie said you will have some" I would have had a bigger boat and much more gear. I mean, if you've been to Moz before you should know to pack extra leaders, clip-ons, balloons, sunscreen, mosquito repellant and plastic bags for the fillets. And if you must borrow something, bring it back promptly and in clean working condition. And bring your own cigarettes, food and drinks on the boat. As a matter of fact, be nice and bring some for the skipper too.

And if you borrow my bakkie and I then have to go look for you to get my keys back, I will call you something unpleasant. Some people don't like that and I get asked what's wrong with me? WTF!!! :unhap :unhap :unhap

And if I get asked to help out with some cashflow problems my holiday turns belly up.

On the plus side, Styx is a little beast. All my problems have been sorted and she behaves fantastic. Corné is the perfect crewman/relief skipper and we enjoy fishing together. His sister and me broke up earlier this year after 7 or 8 years together, so I thought I might be without crew. Lucky him and me are still good friends and fish together.

So, if you know of a hot little lady who smokes and drink too much, give her my number. And I'm NOT going grey, I just had my hair galvanized.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 01:34:16 PM by Styx »

Offline lebaka

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 860
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • i break bills
  • Location: boksburg
Re: Ponta do Ouro October 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 01:37:19 PM »
 :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: styx ek het nou lekker gelag

seems you need new fishing friends/new wife/new fishing location

about time we do a trip together we will be doing more sordies trips next year you must come join us and we will show you hows its done (by that i dont mean fishing i mean having a jol)
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Offline Umpa Lumpa

  • The Ocean is my Haven!!!
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 628
  • Cred: 122
  • Gender: Male
  • The Big Blue Ocean is our Sanctuary
  • Location: Tweni, South Coast.
Re: Ponta do Ouro October 2013
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 01:41:14 PM »
Lekker repor Styx, pity about all the hassles.

Offline GT Mayhem

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 413
  • Cred: 11
  • Location: JHB
Re: Ponta do Ouro October 2013
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 02:49:58 PM »
thanx for the report Styx, no pics??

i feel your pain , sometimes guys dont know just how much you as a boat n car owner and trip planner puts into planning a long distance trip and fail to appreciate and respect the fact that without you, everyone would be sitting at home and going nowhere!
one of the reasons i now only do these trips with my boat, vehicle and no more than 3 other oakes with me, at most we will be 2 boats with 4 in each. i cant handle a big group.

i have also decided to overlook all places where i have to launch and trailer my boat every day, it may mean i got to drive further up the coast but i prefer putting my boat in when i reach and trailer the day i leave, no hassles and i get to fish dawn till dusk- in anycase we go for 9 day trips minimum so i dont mind the drive, not like im coming home after 3 days.


Offline dugong

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1676
  • Cred: 54
  • Location: Durban - Warmwater country!!
Re: Ponta do Ouro October 2013
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 02:56:12 PM »
Lekka report Styx, I agree on Ponta, I have only been once but it is overrated and expensive compared to most places I have been to in Southern Mozambique, you WILL enjoy the spots north of Maputo a lot more, its a schlep(1100kms to Inhambane for me) but well worth it, the bait/seafood/cashews/dops etc... are cheaper and the beaches/launches are a lot more boat/trailer/vehicle friendly than Ponta at most places  :-)
Just Fish!!!

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Ponta do Ouro October 2013
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 03:12:59 PM »
thanks for the report,it's a pity that one spends so much time & money to go on a RELAXING fishing holiday and then have to stress about the other stupid little things and hassles that could so easily have been avoided... :cnfzd no pics..? :dunno:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:13:43 PM by Lofty »
Always be humble...

Offline Styx

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 244
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • I'm a professional small boy!
  • Location: Bethlehem, Freestate
Re: Ponta do Ouro October 2013
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 04:33:23 PM »
Hopefully will get some pics tomorrow, I didn't take many but will get from the others.

Offline Toppie

  • RIP Toppie. What a great man. You will always be an
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1823
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Ponta do Ouro October 2013
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 04:50:12 PM »
Always said, Southern Mozambique fishing is over rated. Gets better the further North you go from Maputo. Much rather go to Sodwana and Vidal.
 
if you must go to Southern Mozambique, troll the reef at 25-40m mark and once at Bass City turn to Pinnacles and do few passes, if still quiet don't waste your fuel go home and check the chicks.
"Everything will be good in the end" - so it cant be the end yet!

Offline kickass72za

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 80
  • Cred: 8
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Ballito
Re: Ponta do Ouro October 2013
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 08:19:25 PM »


Thanks for the report

8 Jetskis enroute to Ponta tomorrow, will give a similar report when we get back



Offline Charles

  • The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1142
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Never ever give up!
  • Location: Mossel Bay and Beni, DRC
Re: Ponta do Ouro October 2013
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 08:36:46 PM »
Eish Styx I understand you frustration!

Kickass72za Wishing you lots of  :sreel: and happy  :fshn:. Looking forward to a lekker report!

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Ponta do Ouro October 2013
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 09:09:12 AM »
What you experienced is the reason we only go to Ponta for a chilled few days with some pub crawling in between  :frid

With a jetski its still do able and worth while but with boat not for me thanks.

At least you guys got some fish, well done.

Offline Peter Gordon

  • Value. 64 is a bit short on Proper Value
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg, Gauteng
Re: Ponta do Ouro October 2013
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 09:40:54 AM »


Thanks for the report

8 Jetskis enroute to Ponta tomorrow, will give a similar report when we get back
Hey Matthew, good luck  :tite :sreel: :fshn: hope you guys have an awesome time. Enjoy and be safe. Knowing you there will be a few R & R's consumed. Good value in that :hehe: :crzy :rotfl :hyst:

Offline Styx

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 244
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • I'm a professional small boy!
  • Location: Bethlehem, Freestate
Re: Ponta do Ouro October 2013
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 06:10:43 PM »
My crewman laughing at me because I'm bitching about having to blow up an "adult" balloon to use as a float for a livie. This is a great little boat, I run out of talent long before she does.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 06:11:13 PM by Styx »

Offline Styx

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 244
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • I'm a professional small boy!
  • Location: Bethlehem, Freestate
Re: Ponta do Ouro October 2013
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 06:11:56 PM »
Klippies doing battle with a shark.

Offline Styx

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 244
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • I'm a professional small boy!
  • Location: Bethlehem, Freestate
Re: Ponta do Ouro October 2013
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 06:12:28 PM »
The shark before being released.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 06:12:48 PM by Styx »

Offline Styx

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 244
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • I'm a professional small boy!
  • Location: Bethlehem, Freestate
Re: Ponta do Ouro October 2013
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 07:09:50 PM »
Kitto Lombard's Prodigal Son

Offline Styx

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 244
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • I'm a professional small boy!
  • Location: Bethlehem, Freestate
Re: Ponta do Ouro October 2013
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 07:10:30 PM »
More shark

Offline Happy Dog

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 596
  • Cred: 78
  • Gender: Male
  • It is called Fishing and not catching
  • Location: Kloof KZN
Re: Ponta do Ouro October 2013
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 04:47:11 AM »
Pity to hear thaht about Ponta. I have had some great trips there.matter of time before it got spoilt. Suppose time to look at going further north.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal