0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
The tuna season is winding to a close (if it is not already too late....) although it has been a very good one. April and early May saw lots of smaller class fish with the odd big one and May / June saw fewer fish but generally larger. Largest one for the last two months only reached 60. Most fish have been on bait. It has been a waiting game though - one day we chummed 9 boxes before getting a fish, but then had 12 in 2 hours!One thing that I changed this season is the terminal tackle. I generally fish light so my go to outfit is now a 30W on a STP / Tuna stick or Tiagra all roller. 500m of 80lb powerpro, catspawed to a top shot of 200m of 24kg maxima. This is then catspawed via a very short bimini to a 6m windon of 130lb Sufix. This is then back to back uniknotted to a bite trace of 130lb fluoro. Unit knot to a 10/0 tuna hook, or rapala knot to a lure. No tackle failure this year on maybe 40 fish per outfit - incl a couple of big ones.For the inshore guys the focus is now on snoek and tail. Plenty of snoek on the West coast and they are making their way south. I am not a big fan, but they do give good drag practice and allow one to hone light tackle skills - and the kids have a jol catching them. Occasional catches off Hout Bay last week bodes well for Cape Point action after the next cold front. Yellowtail are here, then gone, then here, then gone - typical. With this weather now, I expect them to move to Rocky Bank and settle at the Point as long as the water stays above 15.I am off the fishing water for the next couple of months unfortunately. Whilst releasing some sails on a trip to Thailand 2 weeks ago, the skipper reached for a camera, the strap got caught around the throttles and pulled them into neutral. The fish went vertical and then powered straight up at me whilst I had its bill in hand. It reversed my elbow and managed to detach ligaments - had the op to reattach them last week and now have three months recovery. Should be ready just in time for the start of next season!In the meantime though I am getting the kids up to speed on rigging, reversing the boat, skippering (human autopilot) etc.Will post more once the plaster is off and the inshore winter bite starts.