Author Topic: ASCENSION - 2013  (Read 24902 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: ASCENSION - 2013
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2013, 10:25:18 PM »
  :hnthnt:  :the best is yet to come!!
You've added a trip to Ascension as a UA Raffle Prize???   :hehe:
 
We're waiting  (bat

Hahaha... I wish! I would have to guide it.... My wife has banned trips for the next 3 generations in our family, my poor kids!

Offline Toppie

  • RIP Toppie. What a great man. You will always be an
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1823
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: ASCENSION - 2013
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2013, 11:33:22 PM »
Fishing paradise seventenths. You clearly had a ball - I'm jealous. Think part of the allure is the absolutely wild fishing frontier, sure those fish will take bare hooks too.
 
Perhaps a new exciting direction to look!
 
Appreciate your trouble.
"Everything will be good in the end" - so it cant be the end yet!

Offline SUPER ADMIN

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 334
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
Re: ASCENSION - 2013
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 08:41:38 AM »
Great report so far!  :clfoto:
Took some time to sort the formatting of your posts out...  :bow:

Offline MZeee

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 230
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: ASCENSION - 2013
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 08:47:25 AM »
Great report so far!  :clfoto:
Took some time to sort the formatting of your posts out...  :bow:


 :tkx: :tkx: 

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: ASCENSION - 2013
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 12:43:29 PM »
Great report so far!  :clfoto:
Took some time to sort the formatting of your posts out...  :bow:

Thank you super,

Offline Charles

  • The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1142
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Never ever give up!
  • Location: Mossel Bay and Beni, DRC
Re: ASCENSION - 2013
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2013, 12:58:09 PM »
 :envy :clfoto: Great report 7/10! Will be nominated!

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: ASCENSION - 2013
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2013, 02:19:17 PM »
Wow, awesome trip, I can't wait to see the rest!  :envy

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: ASCENSION - 2013
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2013, 10:23:50 AM »
Day 4

Well today was about Ultimate Angling so I decided to forgo the day of spearing, my sore back offering an excuse. I helped Colin  launch the duck… grabbed the tender and went out on my own. Check the videos, then I was off  to catch some fish on the moorings and off the pipe line. It was incredible…  check the footage of the Black jacks and Dorado….. I was less than 500m from the  jetty at all times.

I missed out on seeing manta rays on the dive but that  is the way it goes.

Black jack. (22

Dorado on skitter pop - red/white(with the help of a sard!)  (23)

Dorado contents of stomach – Gar fish and  Turtles (24

Offloading fish Ascension style


After catching 7 Black jacks, 5 Sangora, plenty of triggers and 1 Dorado,  I felt I had really achieved a lot in less then 2 hours. With all but one of these released (dorado for supper!), I lost one 150g Goana - Green (Ocean lures) and a spinner, cut off on mooring chains, I was still very happy.

Piet, Miles, Steve and Karl got back with a nice wahoo over 20kg and several nice sized sangora’s  after seeing several YFT and wahoo.

We ended the day with diner at the Governors house on  green hill, the perfect host with sashimi, Cockburns for closing out and view unmatched  anywhere in the world! And it is with tired eyes and a sense of achievement  that I close out with today’s summary despite no dives logged.

Days info:
Wind  moderate north
Viz  60m plus
Air  temp 34deg
Water  Temp Max 27deg min 27 deg
Swell  3ft 10s
Dives  0
Max  depth 0m
 
Day 5 and video posts are downloading.....
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:33:04 AM by Seventenths »

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: ASCENSION - 2013
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2013, 10:42:25 AM »
Day 5

Today I wanted a big fish with plenty of time in the water and that was what was on the cards, we moved to the deep in two boats. Steve, Colin and Karl in one rubber duck and Craig, Piet, Miles and myself on the hard boat. We  then tried the shallows and back to the deep but I saw nothing! Rainbow  runners, flying fish and the obligatory triggerfish but nothing worthy of my  speargun!

Miles got himself a nice wahoo from our boat but  Steve, Colin and Karl on the duck were the boys to beat with a YFT and three nice wahoo and a massive Rainbow runner to boot.
 
Pics of the guys with fish at end of day 5.  (25)



 
We moved into the shallows and shot some rockcod for  lunch on Sunday, a meal which will be prepared for us by the islanders, they  wanted some Moray eels to boot but I could not bring myself to shoot one, despite  the vast numbers of them. I left that for the braver and less environmentally  conscious to do.

I was really pleased with my diving, got one dive of  over 4 mins and several in the 3min range with a total bottom time of 02h49…  average was a bit low at 1min 23s but that was due to the afternoon session  chasing the rockcods in 8m of water.

D4i days log


Days info:
Wind  Light going to moderate north
Viz  60m plus
Air  temp 34deg
Water  Temp Max 27deg min 27 deg
Swell  2ft 10s
Max  depth 19,6m/1’20
Longest  dive 13,0m/4’15
Number  of dives 202
Total  time underwater 02h49
Videos STILL downloading!!!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:21:11 AM by Seventenths »

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: ASCENSION - 2013
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2013, 12:32:08 PM »
Day 6

A long day of spearing produced a 55kg YFT and a nice wahoo, we planned to cut the day short and have a bit of rest but we got  distracted by the fish. I missed a sitter on a 120kg plus tuna and still feeling like a total idiot. In the afternoon we had drink with some of the  locals (including the governor again) who’s propensity for alcohol is only  superceded by their love of eating fish!

The day was rounded off with an evening walk  on the beach, which involved helping turtles escape the maws of crabs, frigate  birds and fish… I tossed a few into the ocean only to have the mauled by the awaiting hoards of fish! I decided I would be back in the morning with my rod!
 

Our Custom made carbon guns from Steve Ellis (Fibre Lab), designed and built especially for this trip


Rainbow runner


Diving in the blue


Horse Eye Jacks


 
Days info:
Wind  moderate north
Viz  60m plus
Air  temp 35deg
Water  Temp Max 27deg min 27 deg
Swell  3ft 12s
Dives  76
Max  depth 21,9m
Total  time underwater 01h19
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:49:41 PM by Seventenths »

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: ASCENSION - 2013
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2013, 12:56:51 PM »
AWESOME!!!!

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: ASCENSION - 2013
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2013, 01:57:41 PM »
Day 6
 
Pic of 55kg YFT....Bling shirts RULE!

 

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: ASCENSION - 2013
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2013, 02:03:59 PM »
Day 7

After last nights beach turtle feast I was on the  beach at 5 with my fly rod but much to my frustration, only a few triggers. I  was spoilt to the site of a large green turtle returning to the sea after  having laid her eggs – I snapped a few pics and a video. I went off to breakfast rather glum but after a late start (after downloading and backing up my  pics) of the early morning things improved, my first cast from the tender on the way to the dive boat produced a Sangora and so did my second.

Green Turtle on Beach

 
We went to the shallow banks in front of Georgetown and I again decided it time to check out the fishing for the guys on Ultimate Angling and wow, almost every cast produced a fish. You eventually get annoyed with the Black Jacks and tired of catching them, my popper looked like it had  been in a war after only a few fish. I could not keep this up for long and soon was back in the water after the Whooos….
I did not shoot another one on the spear (Miles bagged one for supper of about 20kg) but I did get some footage and see my first snappers but noting was bagged. I am now tired but feel I have  accomplished a lot in the day. Will I survive another day? We have supper with the Saints (locals from Saint Helena) who will be cooking us the Tuna, Rockcod and Moray eels we got on day 5 and then I plan to have an early night.

Georgetown - St Mary's Church at dawn

 
Days info:
Wind  moderate to fresh north
Viz  60m plus
Air  temp 34deg
Water  Temp Max 27deg min 27 deg
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 02:46:42 PM by Seventenths »

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: ASCENSION - 2013
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2013, 07:20:50 AM »
Day 8

Today we did plenty of spearing (well time in the water at least!), the YFT were scarce as were the Wahoo, in fact did not see a wahoo for the  rest of the trip. Piet bagged a small Dorado and we had some incredible drifts into the deep but the day was a blank at lunch time.

We eventually had one YFT that came up the chum line  and Piet bagged it weighing in at just under 60kg.


We called it a day and went for a  quick shallow drift over the wreck on the Normandy that sank in 1902, I got  some awesome pictures and even better video footage of the wreck and it’s  inhabitants. The wreck was an interesting legal case as the skipper grounded  the vessel when it sprang a leak. The decision of the skipper was made to save  the crew however the owner charge him with wilful damage and sabotage ( I was  told this storey by the islanders and have not yet check the veracity of it!) - I have subsequently checked up on it and the ship sank in 1900 not 1902 and was a 2056t Barque, the storey of the captain I cannot verify as yet.

Wreck of the Normandy (Circa 1900)

 
Inhabitants of the wreck - there are plenty of them!!

 

We headed in early as we planned to do some night  fishing and wanted to get freshened up and sorted out.
At 18h00 we headed for the 100m tuna buoy (known  locally and tuna.com)… we had slow start with no tuna coming to the party but  Craig decided to drop a line and catch some Bulleyes (Like an orange ruffia),  I saw and I quickly followed suit… it was hard work as you kept getting  hundreds of Sangoras in between them. I eventually managed to land a few.

Bulls eye - a really handsome fish with massive eyes.


 At 22h30 we headed back and crashed for the night with no stops on the way…

Days info:
Wind  light north to moderate later in the day
Viz  60m plus
Air  temp 37deg
Water  Temp Max 27deg min 27 deg
Swell  5t 10s
Dives  62
Max  depth 24,0m
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 07:41:00 AM by Seventenths »

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: ASCENSION - 2013
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2013, 07:43:25 AM »
Day 1 - Video of Rockcod spearing - I hope this works!
 http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/tonydoult/media/Rockcod1_zpsba59b24e.mp4.html
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 07:43:55 AM by Seventenths »

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: ASCENSION - 2013
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2013, 10:20:10 AM »
 Awesome footage. The abundance of fish is mind boggling!  :win:
 :+ cred: for sharing this wonderful experience!

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: ASCENSION - 2013
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2013, 10:59:08 AM »
Day 4  - Video

Dorado on popper (with sardine) - 6,5kg on Shimano Exage 8' with Stella 18k with 50lbs Braid and 80lbs leader.
http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/tonydoult/media/Dorado-iPhone_zps3fd521aa.mp4.html
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 10:59:29 AM by Seventenths »

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: ASCENSION - 2013
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2013, 09:12:12 AM »
you pulled the  :dor:  like crazy...


looks like a LM Bass coming into the boat...  :hehe:

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: ASCENSION - 2013
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2013, 12:51:49 PM »
you pulled the  :dor:  like crazy...


looks like a LM Bass coming into the boat...  :hehe:

 :blush:

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: ASCENSION - 2013
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2013, 02:56:56 PM »
Day 9 (Final Day)

This is our last day on the Island and we had to pack up and catch out flights back to UK.
 
When, I got up this morning I had NO intention of diving  or fishing as I was tired and needed to pack all my kit which takes forever thanks to all the camera gear. Miles complained till I joined in for the morning – we will be back by 11h00 was the promise as we needed to check in for our flight at 19h00… when we got to the jetty at 08h30 I was already regretting my decision as we were to cram 6 up on one boat! But as we were just debating who goes where Colin materialised as if by magic and we departed in two boats for the deep - the same split as the day before...

We had one very long drift with not much action for over and hour, then I saw a YFT on the chum line camera in hand but switched, off as it swam right up to me….grrrr…Camera went back into the boat and out came the speargun. I had one eye on my watch checking the time constantly. Then with a few mins to go Miles bagged his 3rd YFT for the trip… `I  watched him dive on it and place a good shot. The fish put up a big fight and at the same time we heard Karl had plugged into another one right near us on the other boat.
 
Miles fish fought on and eventually after it had 3 spears in it, I tried to dispatch it with a knife. It went nuts and jumped clean out the water only just missing the boat. I launched over 1 meter into  the sky then wrapped up Miles in his float line before I could turn off it’s motor. I shows just how easy things can go wrong, if it had dived whilst miles was wrapped up it would have been a disaster.
 
We started to clear up and were getting ready to leave  when I saw a shoal of rainbow runners come up on the chum. I dived down to have  a look and saw something way below. I pressed on to about 30m to have a Dorado swim past frantically gulping down chum. I cashed in for my diner only to find  he was way bigger than the few kg’s I thought he was. The pics tell the tale, estimated at 18kgs

Dorado on boat.....

 
We were lines up and headed over to the other boat, Karl had been on the YFT for and hour and a half… I jumped in a took some pics  in the water here are a few choice ones. She weighed in at 112,8kg.

Karl's YFT under boat

 
Karl and his fish of a lifetime....248lbs (112kgs)

 
 
Group shot with (L to R)....Tony (7/10), Karl, Colin (almost hiding), Miles, Craig, Piet and kneeling Steve the Mamba king!!

 
I am glad I got up to go!

Days info:

Wind  Light north
Viz  60m plus
Air  temp 38deg
Water  Temp Max 27deg min 27 deg
Swell  7ft 13s
Dives  58
Max  depth 30,9m
 
Homeward bound as I write this in my diary, 6 flights to go and back to work to pay for the next venture… after an awesome trip, My thanks go to Colin, Craig and Sara on Ascension and to Piet, Miles, Steve and Karl for making up a great team and an unforgettable trip.

These notes are from my personal diary, written daily and any errors, omissions, typos etc etc are all my own and unintentional and I hope you enjoyed reading about it as much I enjoyed being there.
 
 :FST:
 
 
More Videos to follow.. please bear with me, my internet downloads at a speed of continental drift!!!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 11:23:34 AM by Seventenths »

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal