Author Topic: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies  (Read 16567 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 06:19:48 AM »
Those are some awesome flies!!!


Thanks man.

I still want to tie up some more CDC nymphs, copper johns and caddis pupae (Rory, you know wich one).
Will post some more pics later in the week.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 08:55:45 AM »
Great ! Thanks Rory !

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 08:04:13 AM »
Homes, keep the 5th September open! w;k

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 09:00:25 AM »
Eish..... I hope to !

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 09:16:11 AM »
Homes, keep the 5th September open! w;k

May I tag along as well?
will try to lube you with beer or a nice ale to get all the info out of you
Squid Happens!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 10:00:40 AM »
Eish..... I hope to !

Schweet.

May I tag along as well?
will try to lube you with beer or a nice ale to get all the info out of you

No problemo, I'll keep you posted! w;k

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2010, 10:06:24 AM »
 :tkx: :win:
Squid Happens!

catlow12

  • Guest
Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2011, 10:06:14 AM »
Hi Guys, I am new to the forum and need some advise on what to use to tie a mayfly tail and where to buy the stuff?

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2011, 10:11:11 AM »
Hi cat
 :welc:

I'm sure someone here will help you!
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 06:17:25 AM »
Hi Guys, I am new to the forum and need some advise on what to use to tie a mayfly tail and where to buy the stuff?

Hi, there are various materials that you can use for tails. You can use hackle, squirrel tail hairs, squirrel guard hairs, guard hairs from a hairs mask, coq de leon, micro fibbetts, paint brush bristles etc . . . You can get them at Mias, Solly's or any of the specialist fly fishing stores. If you are new to fly tying I suggest you get a book on it, Tom Sutcliff's "Elements of Fly Tying" is very good and is available from most Mias or fly fishing stores. You can also check out flytalk.co.za , use the search function on the forum, there is plenty of very good info there.

Hope that helps.

Andrew
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2011, 10:26:02 PM »
There is also Pheasant Tail, Peacock Herl, Synthetic fibres, your wifes make up brush, the dogs tail hairs, Jackal gaurd hairs, et al. Andrew's tip re Flytalk is a good one. There are literally 100's of pages on flytying with SBS's.  :sml:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 07:58:08 AM »
Homes, keep the 5th September open! w;k
Thats my birthday, where we going and are there strippers??

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 08:25:55 AM »
Thats my birthday, where we going and are there strippers??

I'll drive, you bring the credit card! :pot: :craz:

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 08:29:04 AM »
Hi Guys, I am new to the forum and need some advise on what to use to tie a mayfly tail and where to buy the stuff?

Hi Catlow
Are you tying a dryfly mayfly or a wetfly?

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 08:30:59 AM »
I'll drive, you bring the credit card! :pot: :craz:

No ways, the last time I tried to swipe my card I got slapped and kicked out.....

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 08:33:12 AM »
No ways, the last time I tried to swipe my card I got slapped and kicked out.....

 :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

Offline Monster

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 270
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2011, 10:55:16 AM »
Eish, atleast you didn't have coins.

Offline briansflyfishing

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 105
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Not tonight baby, I gotta fly.
  • Location: Knysna - W/Cape
Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2013, 12:34:47 PM »
Glad I've found this thread as an opportunity to fish for Yellows one of the days.
It will be exciting as it is a new species for me with it's own do's and don'ts.


I believe it is a wonderful fish to stalk and catch and hopefully will hook and land a few.


Brian
Not tonight baby, I gotta fly!!!

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2013, 01:13:59 PM »
Glad I've found this thread as an opportunity to fish for Yellows one of the days.
It will be exciting as it is a new species for me with it's own do's and don'ts.


I believe it is a wonderful fish to stalk and catch and hopefully will hook and land a few.

Brian, it's the best quarry you can get. However with the water at 12 deg ( measured this morning ) the fishing is more than difficult. Different tactics and different flies.
 
If you like getting very frustrated, then join me, I am on the Vaal nearly every weekend.

Brian
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal