Author
Topic: first time drop shotting - staring in Cape Vidal  (Read 2757 times)

Offline pochee

• Cred: 0
first time drop shotting - staring in Cape Vidal
« on: February 03, 2013, 10:44:25 pm »
Hi there guys.
I am very new to dropshot fishing, and decided to take the plunge. I bought a 6'6" (Daiwa) and 7ft rod (cheaper kind- in case i don't carry on drop shotting), and a small reel to go with it (small Daiwa) Reel spooled with about 15lb braid.

We are leaving for Cape Vidal on Wednesday, and will be fishing there on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
I need some help with buying the right baits/lures, and right size jigheads specifically for Cape Vidal.
Any advise would be highly appreciated.
Thanks

Offline SPIN A HOLIC

• Cred: 1
Re: first time drop shotting - staring in Cape Vidal
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 11:19:06 pm »
 hi man.
Trust all is well.
Not too sure what rods you have and there weights they can throw but it sounds like you can throw upto 1oz lures.
You will need some 1/2 to 1 oz plugs, lead heads for mcarthy plastics in 1/4, 1/2 and 1oz. 4 and 5 inch mcarthy plastics in paddle tails and jerkshads. Some bucktail lead heads in 1/2 to 1oz. Some 3/4 oz maybe too. Spoons are also a good bet. Theres lots of toys one can use on these trips but the basics like these will catch you any fish on your trip

Offline Jakes

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 20
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 07:15:11 am »
Pochee,

Get yourself a packet or two of Berkley Camo worm, it always works at Vidal. Vary your retrieves between slow, med and fast. You cal also try the 4" Chattuse jerk shad for wave garrick in the surf zone.

Jakes
“Success is a journey, not a destination”
Ben Sweetland

Offline pochee

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 09:48:38 am »
@Spin a holic... I have a 1oz rated rod (7ft) and a qauntam surge (8ft), which i think is 2oz rated. I will make a trip to the fishing shop shortly to go and check out what i can get. ...

@Jakes... I was looking at those yesterday, but was a little reluctant after seeing the price. But i saw a small packet of the stuff on the net, so i will look for that instead of the tub I was Eyeing out.

Guys, I really appreciate the help... :+ cred:
oh, one more thing... What type of rig should i use in Vidal - I have never been there before, so i am not sure what to expect (I was told it is very rocky)

Offline Jakes

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 20
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 12:53:07 pm »
@Spin a holic... I have a 1oz rated rod (7ft) and a qauntam surge (8ft), which i think is 2oz rated. I will make a trip to the fishing shop shortly to go and check out what i can get. ...

@Jakes... I was looking at those yesterday, but was a little reluctant after seeing the price. But i saw a small packet of the stuff on the net, so i will look for that instead of the tub I was Eyeing out.

Guys, I really appreciate the help... :+ cred:
oh, one more thing... What type of rig should i use in Vidal - I have never been there before, so i am not sure what to expect (I was told it is very rocky)

It all depends on where you intend fishing ... right in front in the bay and also to the left of the bay is mostly sandy beaches. If you go right of the bay you will eventually get to the ledges but be prepared to walk and walk far. Another place you could try is Mission rocks and also the St Lucia Estuary.

Good luck,  :tite and bring back lots of  :clfoto:
“Success is a journey, not a destination”
Ben Sweetland

Offline pochee

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 08:34:51 pm »
I think I will try my luck at the Bay with the Drop shots, and will take one of my rods with me when we walk to all the spots...

I will definitely be posting some of the pics of our catches (optimism at its highest, here  :-) )

thanks again for the advise.