Author Topic: Monster Drop Shot Lures  (Read 23911 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline super_daav

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 855
  • Cred: 74
  • Gender: Male
  • Lower Zambezi 2009
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2012, 08:04:14 AM »
Eish sorry for the confusion but you saying the big plastics would work well on ski or ski boat?
Kingfisher.co.za
Official Daiwa agent

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2012, 06:35:58 PM »
Eish sorry for the confusion but you saying the big plastics would work well on ski or ski boat?
Yes to both, just with slower speeds on a ski a paddle tail would be more effective

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2012, 06:44:46 PM »
I think Thommo's Tiggerfish lure would work as well out at sea
We talking big lures Doger those lures of Thommo are a third of the size.... may work for bait fish. I used a no 8 VMC hook and the hook looks tiny in the lure. Will see going to test in the sea soon. The lip (lead) I made is for trolling at a constant depth of 1m not jigging or poping. If my calculation and testing is correct should have some takes at sea.

I still don't see why the braided wire hook connected to the loop on the jig head wouldn't work, using a longer braided wire would leave the lure more freedom of movement, just my thoughts but will have to try it is a nice idea  (clap)
Mikes rig with the stainless steel wire is a stiff rig and looks good, just suggesting a non stiff rig, although I would change the connection to the jig head away from a couple of half hitches, maybe a loop and crimp arrangement. You could almost use a traditional Couta trace withthe trebles and a lipclip
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 06:55:59 PM by dodger »
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline isivuba

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1671
  • Cred: 265
  • Gender: Male
  • Work pays for the fishing trips
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2012, 07:06:12 PM »

I still don't see why the braided wire hook connected to the loop on the jig head wouldn't work, using a longer braided wire would leave the lure more freedom of movement, just my thoughts but will have to try it is a nice idea  (clap)
Mikes rig with the stainless steel wire is a stiff rig and looks good, just suggesting a non stiff rig, although I would change the connection to the jig head away from a couple of half hitches, maybe a loop and crimp arrangement. You could almost use a traditional Couta trace withthe trebles and a lipclip

Dodger cast the head with s/s braid (0.6mm)in it so as to give flex in lure... measured how far the hook comes out and used a crimp to secure it and as you would with a drop shot head just loop the hook in the front to the back of the lure. Still in the trial stage but your input is much appreciated thanks
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 07:07:03 PM by isivuba »

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2012, 07:17:54 PM »

I still don't see why the braided wire hook connected to the loop on the jig head wouldn't work, using a longer braided wire would leave the lure more freedom of movement, just my thoughts but will have to try it is a nice idea  (clap)
Mikes rig with the stainless steel wire is a stiff rig and looks good, just suggesting a non stiff rig, although I would change the connection to the jig head away from a couple of half hitches, maybe a loop and crimp arrangement. You could almost use a traditional Couta trace withthe trebles and a lipclip

Dodger cast the head with s/s braid (0.6mm)in it so as to give flex in lure... measured how far the hook comes out and used a crimp to secure it and as you would with a drop shot head just loop the hook in the front to the back of the lure. Still in the trial stage but your input is much appreciated thanks
Thanks Mike, post some pics when you can
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal