Author Topic: General Shark trace - help needed please  (Read 11497 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline christosch

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 234
  • Cred: 44
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: vanderbijlpark gauteng
General Shark trace - help needed please
« on: November 24, 2012, 09:30:22 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'd like to target small(ish) sharks (any species) this December/January in the Wilderness.
It will be my first try for sharks, so I need a lot of guidance.
I'm not going to slide so I'll be casting my bait.
Could you please improve on this trace (knots used/line diameter and length etc.)
Is it possible to clip the sinker with a biggish bait?
Will be using L&F Shockwave 14' with 8oz tip and Saltist50H
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Offline Fritz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: General Shark trace - help needed please
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 10:05:20 PM »
Join you mainline with a figure 8 on either end with your leader.
Change your swivel to a three way.
On the bite trace side join your wire to your nylon with figure 8 again on each side. Here I would use 60lb wire.
When snelling your circle its no need to add any heat shrink.
Sinker side you must allways make sure that your sinker line is a thinner diameter line the the hook side so that it can break off easy when snaged and you have a fish on. Allways make sure the sinker line is a bit longer the hook line so that you can clip it onto your hook.
If going to throw bigger baits remember to down scale on your sinker.
Start off with smaller baits till you get the hang off things before you go to the bigger baits.
If you want to use a circle hook allways make sure that the hook is very proud from your bait, otherwise you are just waisting your time. try and get some bait carriers for the sircles. Otherwise just move to a 6/0 if the sharks are on the smaller side or go 8/0 and even 10/0 when the bigger boys are around. In that case you will have to beave up your bite trace from 60lb to the 100 or even go 150lb.
 Other option you can look at is to change the coated wire for some Titanium Tooth Proof wire from AFW. Its very thin compaired to the coated wire and you can actually knot the stuff. I used the stuff when fishing Nathionals about four years back in Moselbay and it worked much better.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: General Shark trace - help needed please
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 08:38:13 AM »
What Fritz said.  :corrct:
Sinker line needs to be thinner than your mainline, otherwise a snag will end up busting your mainline and losing the whole trace.
Only other thing that I would improve on is to do a Bimini in the mainline before tieing it to the leader with a Double Fig 8.


Offline Weedeater

  • Grensvegter!
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 396
  • Cred: 42
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: General Shark trace - help needed please
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 09:50:23 AM »
What Fritz said.  :corrct:
Sinker line needs to be thinner than your mainline, otherwise a snag will end up busting your mainline and losing the whole trace.
Only other thing that I would improve on is to do a Bimini in the mainline before tieing it to the leader with a Double Fig 8.


Also I tie a knot in the sinker line, usually .55 or .60 to ensure that if you get snagged it'll break off before you lose the rest of your trace. Other than that, very sound advice.

Offline craigb

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 321
  • Cred: 13
  • i just wanna fish
  • Location: durban
Re: General Shark trace - help needed please
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 10:06:01 AM »
found this awesome tut by Trophy :tite

nutshelltravel.com/NutShell Fishing/New Template/content_temp/tutorials/building_a throw_rig_trace/building_shark_throw_bait.htm
I'm not addicted to fishing,i can quit anytime my wife makes me.

Offline Fritz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: General Shark trace - help needed please
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 10:49:24 AM »
What Fritz said.  :corrct:
Sinker line needs to be thinner than your mainline, otherwise a snag will end up busting your mainline and losing the whole trace.
Only other thing that I would improve on is to do a Bimini in the mainline before tieing it to the leader with a Double Fig 8.

Oops, I think I took that part for granted :blush:

Offline christosch

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 234
  • Cred: 44
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: vanderbijlpark gauteng
Re: General Shark trace - help needed please
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 10:15:57 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys. Been practising the bimini yesterday - quite difficult to get the hang of it, but I thing I've got it!!
Will be trying to make a bait carrier as well tonight.
Will post a pic of new trace later for further comment.
Thanks again.
Tight Lines

Offline Ray Hall

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: General Shark trace - help needed please
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 12:18:57 PM »
niks fout met daai trace nie!


however like the guys said rather use a bemini and then fig 8 joining your mainline and leader.


BUT, most important question what sharks do you want to target?




Offline christosch

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 234
  • Cred: 44
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: vanderbijlpark gauteng
Re: General Shark trace - help needed please
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 01:34:15 PM »
I wouldn't mind pulling a raggy - but as I said ANY shark will do!!
I can't make 10 different traces for 10 different shark - therefor the general trace.
I don't want to catch something I can't land, so I'd rather go for smaller sharks, don't think I'm ready for a 160+kg fish
What species could I expect to pick up there?
 

Offline boepsie

  • boeps legend
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 139
  • Cred: 18
  • Gender: Male
  • I've got a addictive disease , leave me I'm fine
  • Location: stutt
Re: General Shark trace - help needed please
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »
not a good trace for rags that  if u gonna target rags go the full metal jacket route 


Fine for small bronzies duskys hammers
Whoooohoooooo

Offline kingslide

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 174
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Western Cape
Re: General Shark trace - help needed please
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 03:13:09 PM »
Christo you need two types of traces in Wilderness...
 
Full steel - depending on what is biting with two  8/0 up to 10/0 - or just one.
Biting trace - 80 to 90 cm - 60 to 70 cm steel with at least 1.00mm the rest.
 
Normally in December the water in Wilderness is quite clean in the day thus the little hammers is plenty that time of year. As well as the little duskies (ridgebacks)
Thus your hook fror this trace can go from anything from a single 6/0 to 10/0.
 
These are the two traces. You will at least need a couple with each hook size

Offline christosch

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 234
  • Cred: 44
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: vanderbijlpark gauteng
Re: General Shark trace - help needed please
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 03:26:18 PM »
Thanks Kingslide.
I will hopefully be going down there again this October/November.
Will definitely be using both traces.
Just struggling to find a shark rod that fits into my budget.
Caught a 12-15kg bronzie December and will hopefully get to the 50-60kg mark next time.
Will also maybe try putting out a slide.
Thanks for advice.

Offline kingslide

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 174
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Western Cape
Re: General Shark trace - help needed please
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 03:35:22 PM »
If I may what is you budget?

Offline christosch

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 234
  • Cred: 44
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: vanderbijlpark gauteng
Re: General Shark trace - help needed please
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 03:43:38 PM »
Hey Kingslide check your PM

Offline kingslide

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 174
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Western Cape
Re: General Shark trace - help needed please
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 03:49:23 PM »
PM checked and re Pm'ed you...
 
Please feel free to contact me with any querrries ....

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal