Author Topic: Ponta do Ouro.  (Read 4822 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Styx

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 244
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • I'm a professional small boy!
  • Location: Bethlehem, Freestate
Ponta do Ouro.
« on: November 13, 2012, 09:01:57 AM »
I am leaving for Kosi Bay on Sunday 18 November 2012. Then on monday morning we will cross over into Mozambique and set up shop at Coco Rico resort in Ponta do Ouro. Monday will be spent sorting out fishing licenses, launch permits and boats and tackle with the first serious trip planned for Tuesday.

We will be fishing for the whole week and return on Saturday or Sunday. My fishing mate had to cancel as his 2 year old laaitie broke his leg last week. In the group there will be 3 boats and 5 jetski's. I'm taking my camera and laptop along and the plan is to post regular fishing reports, provided we don't blank.

I'm planning on trolling, popping and live-bait fishing. I might even try my hand at jigging. I've spent the last 2 months getting my gear together and failure will not be due to a lack of preparation.

I also plan to make more use of strips when trolling my konas and will also troll with livies. Also I need to get myself a sizeable shark. With all the plans and ideas I have I just hope I get enough time on the water.

I have plenty waypoints and a new Airmar P66 transducer on my fishfinder.

In short I am READY! Please hold your thumbs.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Ponta do Ouro.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 09:06:18 AM »
Please note that jigging is NOT allowed in Ponta. You may be fined and/or have your gear confiscated.

:tite
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline super_daav

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 855
  • Cred: 74
  • Gender: Male
  • Lower Zambezi 2009
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Ponta do Ouro.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 09:15:14 AM »
Oelof nice stuff!! I am off to Milli on Tuesday next week until the Sunday. Not nearly as prepared but hoping we can get some good fishing in!
 
Tight lines!
Kingfisher.co.za
Official Daiwa agent

Offline Styx

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 244
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • I'm a professional small boy!
  • Location: Bethlehem, Freestate
Re: Ponta do Ouro.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 10:40:41 AM »
@ John F

Am I correct in thinking that the Marine Protected Area extends east from the beach for 3 nautical miles? If so, is jigging and bottom fishing allowed if further than 3 nm's out? If correct, how will I prove that I did not catch inside the MPA.

I do not want to get in any trouble with the authorities.

Thanks

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Ponta do Ouro.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 11:02:08 AM »
Yes, 3 nm is the limit. No way to prove you got those out of the MPA limits. So if you beach with any bottoms or jigging gear, they can klap you.

Guess it's the same as in iSimangaliso!?
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Styx

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 244
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • I'm a professional small boy!
  • Location: Bethlehem, Freestate
Re: Ponta do Ouro.
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 12:47:59 PM »
Ag well, I'll do the bottoms and jigging when I get back. I hope the couta is running, I've never caught one.


 :shk :shk :shk :shk :shk I just had a bad thought. Does this also mean I won't be able to drop my yozuri's to collect livebait??? :shk :shk :shk

Offline Happy Dog

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 596
  • Cred: 78
  • Gender: Male
  • It is called Fishing and not catching
  • Location: Kloof KZN
Re: Ponta do Ouro.
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 01:02:35 PM »
Yazuri no problem. Would advise  staying away from bottoms completely. They can be very difficult about bottom fish. If you want a good gillie up there let me know will Pm  you his tel no and can phone to arrange  to meet you there.

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: Ponta do Ouro.
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 01:19:22 PM »
Good luck oelof hope you have a magic trip. If you want to catch a big shark there are plenty off Durban you are more than welcome to help yourself, they even come looking for you.
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Ponta do Ouro.
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 01:23:08 PM »
For that big shark drop a bait at pinnacle reef and hold tight

 :tite

Offline Happy Dog

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 596
  • Cred: 78
  • Gender: Male
  • It is called Fishing and not catching
  • Location: Kloof KZN
Re: Ponta do Ouro.
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 01:50:42 PM »
Tight lines. Agree with prego catch a bonnie, send him swimming at the pinnacles and hold tight. Good time to learn to water ski behind a jetski.There are some big boys there. :brnz:

Offline Happy Dog

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 596
  • Cred: 78
  • Gender: Male
  • It is called Fishing and not catching
  • Location: Kloof KZN
Re: Ponta do Ouro.
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 07:37:15 PM »
oelof how was the trip?

Offline Styx

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 244
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • I'm a professional small boy!
  • Location: Bethlehem, Freestate
Re: Ponta do Ouro.
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 08:53:30 AM »
I had a great trip Happy Dog. I think I may have ended up with your ghillie.

I will do a detailed report later today on the trip, I just need to get everybody working at full steam again.



Offline Happy Dog

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 596
  • Cred: 78
  • Gender: Male
  • It is called Fishing and not catching
  • Location: Kloof KZN
Re: Ponta do Ouro.
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 09:13:42 AM »
was his name Paul?

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal