Author
Topic: beginner advice  (Read 4199 times)

yodaspike

beginner advice
« on: September 19, 2012, 10:22:26 am »
Hi All

i am new here and also, so to speak to fishing, have done some in earlier years but not for a long time.
i would like to get your advice on what brand i should be going for, i will be dong fishing at dam`s from the banks, i at this stage dont have anything so need to get everything, your advice would be appreciated.

Offline Kumz

• Retired
  • Cred: 0
Re: beginner advice
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 10:27:08 am »
 :welc: Yodaspike... hope you enjoy your stay here ...  :uarocks

Offline icstuff

• The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • Cred: 77
  • It's the Water's fault!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 10:31:27 am »
 :welc:

I am not sure that recommending a brand now would help you apart from helping you to part with some money. I think what would help you is where to fish, what to fish with and what bait to use, I have seen anglers with crummy gear catch huge fish because they know what they are doing so first of I would recommend to learn what you are doing before parting with huge amounts of cash.

I cant help you with bank angling but WK will be here soon to point you in the right direction.
Squid Happens!

yodaspike

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 10:39:59 am »
I do know my way around fishing, and in most cases when i do get to fish i do catch something, small most of the times, but to me something is better than nothing.  the reason why i ask what brand i should go for, is because i dont really see the brands i once knew to be decent, it will be becoming a regular thing so would prefer to get something that will last, as i would rather pay a bit more than buying every few months, as i know it can become very expensive, but yes, as you say, i am also not looking at buying the best on the market as having the best doesnt mean you will be any good.

Offline krissi

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 137
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 10:40:49 am »
 :welc:  Yodaspike  :-)

yodaspike

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 10:46:02 am »
thank you all for the warm welcome

Offline Shaun17

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 262
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 10:53:37 am »
 :welc:  Yodaspike....

Do yourself a favour, check out "Forum" tab Under "Frehwater Angling"... There's loads of quality advise and you'll find most of your questions already answered, if not there's a host of good guys and some Utd supporters on  :ult: who will be happy to help.

Being fairly new, stay away from Reefman's reel serving tutorials for a while... They're enough to scare even the most die-hard fisherman away!!!!  :resp:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:54:01 am by Shaun17 »

Offline BETTYS

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 29
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 10:54:47 am »
 :welc: Yodaspike.

For reels I would go for the Shimano baitrunners,they are the best .
On rods well you have to go to the shop and see which one you like.
But most of the new rods are great.
Try to get hold of Wynand as he also stay in Krugersdorp to go with you to the shop.

Happy fishing.
I LOVE THE SMELL OF FRESH BAIT IN THE MORNING

Online WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Cred: 365
  • Conservation First!
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 01:03:00 pm »
Welcome to UA Yoda,

For bank angling targeting carp the setup I would use would be the Shimano Baitrunners that go for about R600 a pop, amazing reels, worth every penny plus a few more. Then pair that with a 10 foot carp hunter rod and 15 XX mainline on the reel.

For targeting barbel and Largemouth Yellowfish, depending on where you are fishing and how comfortable you are with using different tackle, these are the 2 options I would go for:

For rowing out baits, a multiplier reel and 6 foot boat rod, I have an elbe ski pro and Okuma xt classic.

And for casting, Elbe Estuary pro 10 foot paired with a Daiwa Opus 5000 or Penn Fierce 6000 reel, with 18lb XX loaded on the reel(s)

Stywe lyne!

Offline isivuba

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 265
  • Work pays for the fishing trips
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 07:32:16 pm »
 :welc: hope you enjoy your stay........... you should try your local tackel shop............ make friends and keep on watching  :ult: 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 07:32:57 pm by isivuba »

Offline MIKE PIKE

• "The Mongoose"
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 196
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 07:53:50 pm »
 :welc: Yodaspike, heaps of info here and lots of helpful people to point u in the right direction , + most of the tackle u see in the shops ends up being discissed here in fine detail so when you shop for new stuff your eyes are open to whats out there.

yodaspike

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 10:26:59 am »
thank you all for your input thus far, i have also been reading up a bit and looking around, and decided to go for the sensation Velocity 12' rod and the jackal 10' as for the reels, the daiwa does look good and not that expensive