Author Topic: Tiger fishing at Jozini  (Read 5583 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Daniell

  • Guest
Tiger fishing at Jozini
« on: September 16, 2012, 06:58:32 PM »
Me, my Dad and a few friends are going to Jozini Dam this week to compete in the tiger bonanza competition, we always drove past the dam  to Sodwana and never got a chance to see how stuff works there. If anybody can give us a few tips on were to fish, what kind of lures te use in certain conditions and also what to expect from the comp, like how the catch and realase of tigers may work, any advise will be Helpfull.   

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Tiger fishing at Jozini
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 10:23:45 PM »

Offline krissi

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 789
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Underberg, KZN
Re: Tiger fishing at Jozini
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 08:30:16 AM »
@ Mike - I re-read your post again and totally support the catch and release principle.  We are going to the Jozi compo as well - although I wont be fishing in the compo, I do want to fish (so all my fish will be released immediately, if I am fortunate enough to land any  :cnfzd ) but I want to fish with circles - do you have any advice for me please?

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Tiger fishing at Jozini
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 09:00:06 AM »
@ Mike - I re-read your post again and totally support the catch and release principle.  We are going to the Jozi compo as well - although I wont be fishing in the compo, I do want to fish (so all my fish will be released immediately, if I am fortunate enough to land any  :cnfzd ) but I want to fish with circles - do you have any advice for me please?

Circles are good with bait, just 2 things.
1.)  you need to fish on free spool
2.) your bait must sit behind the hook and not on the shank as with a J hook

Offline krissi

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 789
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Underberg, KZN
Re: Tiger fishing at Jozini
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 11:38:26 AM »
Great thanks Mike - so same principle as fishing in the sea - I am assuming that one would use nylon coated for the trace as the piano wire isn't flexible?  Would you use 90lb, 60lb or even lighter?
 
If one is free-spooling, on the take, do you slowly tighten the drag until you feel the fish resist, once the fish is hooked, tighten up a little more?  When I fish in the sea, I suppose the fish basically hooks itself as it takes the bait and runs up against the resistance of the drag, or it gets hooked when I start reeling in.  The hardest part is going to remember to keep that rod tip down or in the water  :-( .   

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Tiger fishing at Jozini
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 11:48:46 AM »
Great thanks Mike - so same principle as fishing in the sea - I am assuming that one would use nylon coated for the trace as the piano wire isn't flexible?  Would you use 90lb, 60lb or even lighter?
 
If one is free-spooling, on the take, do you slowly tighten the drag until you feel the fish resist, once the fish is hooked, tighten up a little more?  When I fish in the sea, I suppose the fish basically hooks itself as it takes the bait and runs up against the resistance of the drag, or it gets hooked when I start reeling in.  The hardest part is going to remember to keep that rod tip down or in the water  :-( .

Its the same as for the sea, no different. Circles are circles
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 11:49:24 AM by Fishing Adventures »

Offline krissi

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 789
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Underberg, KZN
Re: Tiger fishing at Jozini
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 12:01:16 PM »
Gotcha - thanks again  :-)

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal