Author Topic: Tiger Fish Bonanza - Jozini 20 Sept 2012  (Read 6961 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline krissi

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 789
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Underberg, KZN
Tiger Fish Bonanza - Jozini 20 Sept 2012
« on: September 09, 2012, 11:30:40 AM »
Is anyone on the forum fishing this compo?

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: Tiger Fish Bonanza - Jozini 20 Sept 2012
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 01:31:27 PM »
not me, I fish a couple of weeks afterwards, 300+boats at Golela launch site is madness.
 Anyone any ideas on what they are doing about catch and release this year? It has traditionally been a tigerfish slaughter compo  :tgr:
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline krissi

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 789
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Underberg, KZN
Re: Tiger Fish Bonanza - Jozini 20 Sept 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 02:51:39 PM »
Hubby is fishing with a group of mates - I will be there, but not fishing the compo.  From what I have heard from a friend who is fishing, is that the fish have to be weighed live .... I hope they do catch and release successfully.

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: Tiger Fish Bonanza - Jozini 20 Sept 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 03:43:55 PM »
Thanks Krissi, that's a positive if the fish have to be weighed alive, a problem is though with the genetics of the tigerfish, they generate lots of I think lactic acid and need a bit of nurturing before release, I just am not sure if they will survive in an aerated tank :cnfzd
Where are you staying up there and will you be on the boat, because lots of fish can be caught at the launch site. With all the bottom being stirred up the bream will hone in on the stirred up bugs and tiggers will come to investigate.
We have caught lots of tiggers near hippos who stir the bottom up. Enjoy it
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline Fishingpt

  • Fishing PT
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • Cred: 0
  • Location: Pongola
Re: Tiger Fish Bonanza - Jozini 20 Sept 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 07:55:11 AM »
Hi all,
 
The competition was again a great success. There were 350 boats this year and it is the second year that this is a catch, weigh and release comp. With the dam's water level at about 50% the launch site was re-gravelled by Ndlovu construction. The vehicles was well routed to the launch site by the HO's and the boats launched quickly. This was the biggest tiger fish comp so far. The winning fish was a fish of 6.2kg and the 20th place a fish of 3.552kg. I know of only 2 fish that died that an angler brougt to scale the afternoon after lines up. (To lazy to up anchor and go to the weigh station). I congratulate the committee of sodwana angling club with this well organised competition and the execution there-off. There will again be a full article in the ski-boat magazine.
 :tgr:       :cgrts:

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Tiger Fish Bonanza - Jozini 20 Sept 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 04:55:32 PM »
Hi all,
 
The competition was again a great success. There were 350 boats this year and it is the second year that this is a catch, weigh and release comp. With the dam's water level at about 50% the launch site was re-gravelled by Ndlovu construction. The vehicles was well routed to the launch site by the HO's and the boats launched quickly. This was the biggest tiger fish comp so far. The winning fish was a fish of 6.2kg and the 20th place a fish of 3.552kg. I know of only 2 fish that died that an angler brougt to scale the afternoon after lines up. (To lazy to up anchor and go to the weigh station). I congratulate the committee of sodwana angling club with this well organised competition and the execution there-off. There will again be a full article in the ski-boat magazine.
 :tgr:       :cgrts:

Awesome. Nice size winning fish

Offline Fishingpt

  • Fishing PT
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • Cred: 0
  • Location: Pongola
Re: Tiger Fish Bonanza - Jozini 20 Sept 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 11:11:15 AM »
Fishing adventures, i understand you fish the dam and know how to catch the tigers please give your oppinion:
We had big debates in the tent about where to catch the tiger fish. Some of the prize winners have the following fishing strategy:
Shallow water of 1m with small live bait. Shallow water of 2m with small live bait. I personally fish in water of 5m with large live bait and have been getting some good fish.
 
 
 

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Tiger Fish Bonanza - Jozini 20 Sept 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 09:11:39 PM »
Fishing adventures, i understand you fish the dam and know how to catch the tigers please give your oppinion:
We had big debates in the tent about where to catch the tiger fish. Some of the prize winners have the following fishing strategy:
Shallow water of 1m with small live bait. Shallow water of 2m with small live bait. I personally fish in water of 5m with large live bait and have been getting some good fish.
 
 
 
I only fish lures and fly, so my findings may be different, I have caught big ones right on the edge in less than 0,5m and in deeper water exceeding 8m. I think conditions of the day will dictate.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:13:45 PM by Fishing Adventures »

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal