Author Topic: Casting white metal spoons using silicone moulds  (Read 19994 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Re: Casting white metal spoons using silicone moulds
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 06:29:38 AM »
Kyle, further to this thread, one does not have to cast the spoon in the final shape you have in mind. You can cast it "straight" and, before final polishing, bend it into the required shape. Cover a small hammer's head in soft cloth and tap it lightly on wooden blocks to the intended shape. My personal preference is banana shape.

I don't know if you saw this thread re swimming action of different shapes  :dunno: Granted, the spoons were tested in a dam and the swimming action may vary in working water.

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=5947.msg80887#msg80887
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline Fish-Hunter

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Re: Casting white metal spoons using silicone moulds
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 06:41:13 AM »
Thanx for the advice Pierre,I read it abit later as just got
Home from work. I also want to check my mould,I will keep
You posted.

Offline Fish-Hunter

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Re: Casting white metal spoons using silicone moulds
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 07:31:55 AM »
It came out perfectly,my only concern is the distance from the bottom. I made it 5mm with cured silicone but I read it should be 13mm according to the pamphlet the lady gave me.


I am going to use it like this for now until I get a better a better moulding container.

Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Re: Casting white metal spoons using silicone moulds
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 10:00:10 AM »
5mm thick wall should suffice but a thicker wall might make the mould lasts longer. By the way, I doubt that a thick wall thickness will improve surface finish as it is the bubbles near the surface of the mould that cause indentations on the casting. I you intend to do this often, I can post a pic of my vacuum chamber that's made using s fridge compressor and works well. Costs about R 600.
You will most probably find the indentations a bit shocking, but don't be disappointed. Sanding removes them quite easily.
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline Fish-Hunter

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Re: Casting white metal spoons using silicone moulds
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 08:10:50 AM »
hi pierre


Cast my first spoon this morning,thanx again!!

Offline Fish-Hunter

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Re: Casting white metal spoons using silicone moulds
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 08:43:49 AM »
I also made an Aluminium mould by hand,here is a pic of the spoon
And of the 2 moulds.

Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Re: Casting white metal spoons using silicone moulds
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 11:43:39 AM »
That spoon cast in the silicone mould looks very good!! Better than mine. :blush:

How about a tut on how to make an aluminium mould.  :hnthnt:   Or do you have access to a milling machine?
Casting in al. moulds would be first prize. One can see that the finish is much better.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 12:27:42 PM by PH »
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline Fish-Hunter

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Re: Casting white metal spoons using silicone moulds
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 01:18:07 PM »
Lol,no milling machines involved there. I used a
Pencil grinder,rotary burrs,grinding stones and
Mechanics blue. Oh and plenty of patience....

Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Re: Casting white metal spoons using silicone moulds
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 01:47:07 PM »
I tried "composite" moulds once using aluminium sheet metal pieces enveloped in a silicone casing to keep them together. "Sort-of" worked but did not pursue further to master the method.
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline Fish-Hunter

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Re: Casting white metal spoons using silicone moulds
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2012, 05:45:16 PM »
hey All,
Here are spoons I am casting for a friend in
Exchange for some white metal.
Current white metal price(w90) is R399/kg
From Non Ferous metals,its herrendously
Expensive.
Anyone out there willing to part with some WM ??

Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Re: Casting white metal spoons using silicone moulds
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2012, 02:12:52 AM »

Current white metal price(w90) is R399/kg
From Non Ferous metals,its herrendously
Expensive.


PLUS: They are out of stock.!!
 The spoons are looking great!!
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal