Author Topic: Millibangalala  (Read 10360 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Millibangalala
« on: August 05, 2010, 06:38:46 PM »
Has anyone been to Milibangalala recently - I am thinking of going there in the next few weeks but know nothing about the place (campsite, fishing, fresh water, security etc)


thanks

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Millibangalala
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 08:47:40 PM »
Used to go there years ago Ziggs... but haven't been for a long time. Sorry.

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Millibangalala
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 01:51:48 PM »
Dont tell me I will have to go find something on that other site! Well, if I go, then I will have to make a full report for others

Offline Reef Inmate

  • REEF INMATE
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 48
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Joburg
Re: Millibangalala
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 04:26:03 PM »
Hi there

I was there two years ago. Nothing much had changed up till then. Milli lies in the Maputo Elephant Reserve, so you will have to pay the fees at the gate, not to sure what they are now. There is nothing in Milli except old campsites. You will need to take all supplies including water. You can get fresh water from the nearby lakes but it would need to be purified. Toilets will also be a problem. This is an awesome spot if you are prepared to really rough it. Hope this helps.

Let us know how the trip was.
LvZ

Tsutsuma

  • Guest
Re: Millibangalala
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 05:14:07 PM »
I have never been to "Milibangalala"
It is a shame to say the least.
Will make a plan soon and post pix & report
to all here.
}<(((*>

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Millibangalala
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 08:42:54 PM »
Dont tell me I will have to go find something on that other site! Well, if I go, then I will have to make a full report for others

Come on Ziggy... that's really not necessary... :cens

When do you expect to be there? I have been to Mili lot's of times... this year alone I went there twice...

A few things you need to know:

1. Location
As mentioned before, Ponta Milibangalala is part of the Maputo Special Reserve. This means, after the border, you need to drive to the Gala gate and pay your fees at the gate (camping and entry fees - will make a few calls to get you the correct amounts!). Launching and fishing permits can be acquired in Mili (speak to the marine reserve staff)

2. Elephants!!!!!
Please be careful and plan your trip so that you don't need to drive inside the reserve after 15:00. The elephants there are really wild and have taken lives before.

3. Facilities
Mili is a basic camp site. The only facilities available are: rudimentary toilets, fresh water for washing and showering. Fire wood is also available. You need to take everything else with you!

4. Security
There are always rangers camped there, so the camp site is pretty safe. BUT, this is Africa, so don't leave money/cell phones laying around, lock your car, etc...

5. Launching and Fishing
Excellent launching and fishing... but I'll leave that to you...

Let me know if you need more details...
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Millibangalala
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 11:13:48 AM »
John F - That was a joke!

I am thinking of coing within the coming month - if all works out

Thanks for the useful information  -I will get back to you closer to the time

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Millibangalala
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 11:40:23 AM »
No problem Ziggy!

Will you be towing a boat? Next month, usually is VERY windy!

Just shout if you need more info...
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Millibangalala
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 12:05:20 PM »
R&S fishing only - maybe a paddleski.

Forgot about the windy time of the year - I may  have to rethink going

Offline super_daav

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 855
  • Cred: 74
  • Gender: Male
  • Lower Zambezi 2009
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Millibangalala
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 04:56:35 PM »
John F,
 
maybe you can update me here? I am heading to Mili in last week of November with some chaps for a spot of fishing (mainly on my ski). Do you have some offshore marks and maybe a general update of on the camp? Heard it is very simple but fantastic fishing!
Kingfisher.co.za
Official Daiwa agent

Offline Manuel Junior

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 579
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Maputo,Mozambique
Re: Millibangalala
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 07:03:52 PM »
 Millibangalala is very nice!!!!
 :mxmb:
 

Offline Manuel Junior

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 579
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Maputo,Mozambique
Re: Millibangalala
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 09:31:12 PM »
SOME PICTURES OF MILLIBANGALALA

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Millibangalala
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 10:33:11 AM »
John F,
 
maybe you can update me here? I am heading to Mili in last week of November with some chaps for a spot of fishing (mainly on my ski). Do you have some offshore marks and maybe a general update of on the camp? Heard it is very simple but fantastic fishing!

Hi super,

Sorry for some reason I missed this post...

Yes, the camp has seen some improvements, especially regarding the toilets... the camping slots have also been moved a bit... the Reserve has a proper post there and things seem to run smoother now...

Unfortunately I don't have marks for that area but I would say stick to the 25-40 m depth lines and you should be ok... 
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline L Hooker

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1330
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Millibangalala
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 09:54:03 AM »
Super_daav there is some good fishing off Mili... When i go to Ponta and the fishing is quite i hoof it too Mili (with boat) and usually end up catching. I have updated my fishfinder and unfortunatly lost co-ords, however if standing in the bay at Mili looking out to sea, there is a point towards your right hand side, off this point there is scattered reef running in a north-south direction and close in, i have caught plenty couta, jobfish there etc etc.
 
There is also scattered reef all in front of Mili, if you've got a fishfinder you will find reefs all over.

Offline super_daav

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 855
  • Cred: 74
  • Gender: Male
  • Lower Zambezi 2009
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Millibangalala
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 10:13:53 AM »
L Hooker / John F, thanks chaps. I have a finder so will just sound around and see... Hopefully the seas & weather come to the party over those couple of days...
Kingfisher.co.za
Official Daiwa agent

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal