Author Topic: River Suir, Cahir Ireland  (Read 8718 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
River Suir, Cahir Ireland
« on: June 16, 2012, 05:58:17 PM »
I am rapidly getting my ducks in a row to go brown trout fishing on the river Suir at Cahir in Ireland  - and the only stumbling block is getting Voyager to sort out my flight to London (I hate voyager!) They have booked my return, but have waitlisted me going there.


So,18 to 25 August is when I will be there - the average weather at that time is ideal - but one never knows what the situation is going to be until one gets there.


I am going with a buddy who has been there a few times already - and he has excellent contacts there.


Of course this requires a new rod, reel and lines! So thinking of buying that in London on my way - looking at buying a 9ft 5wt - any suggestions on what I should get?


And when I get back, the next day I will be off to Castleburn for a week and then 4 weeks later - a week on the Zambezi!


 I think I will need to take a holiday after all that ..............

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: River Suir, Cahir Ireland
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 08:45:29 AM »
Give me a budget to work with and maybe I could point you in the right direction :hnthnt:

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: River Suir, Cahir Ireland
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 04:10:23 PM »
Give me a budget to work with and maybe I could point you in the right direction :hnthnt:
I am not sure! The river Suir recommendation is a 5wt 9' - I have a Loomis 5wt 8'6"FR1025 GL3  - and wondering if that is suitable - I got it in 1992 - but have replaced it under lifetime guarantee twice (last time was in about 2000 - still in excellent condition. I really like it because it is fairly stiff and I can cast a mile with it.  I usually use it on the bigger streams in the Berg - and for still waters. But, why not get a new one if I have the chance in London!


I looked (online) at the Fario  9' #5 Mid-tip 4pc (for travel) F-XX-GLFO905-4 see http://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/fly-rods/guideline-fario-rods/40/yes/55085 (the listed price is £349.99  - which maybe a bit expensive!)


Not sure what reel - but something about £75 - I would want at least one extra spool  - but maybe three (sinking, floating and intermediate) - which means three lines - I usually fish WF and one weight up on the lines - but, maybe that is not really the right thing to do anymore? Lines would be about £40 each


So that would be total about £545 - which is about R 7100 - after calculating that - I think I should go cheaper on the rod - so maybe R5-6000 tops,


What do you suggest here in SA at that budget? Would I do better in London with the same budget?





Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: River Suir, Cahir Ireland
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 04:17:33 PM »
For R6000-R7000 I can kit you out with a Rod, Reel and Line from some of the top brand names out there.


It would be an honest waste to go out to the UK and buy something there with the weak Rand, just not worth it.
Give me a day or two and I will get back to you with some kit options.

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: River Suir, Cahir Ireland
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 04:21:08 PM »
For R6000-R7000 I can kit you out with a Rod, Reel and Line from some of the top brand names out there.


It would be an honest waste to go out to the UK and buy something there with the weak Rand, just not worth it.
Give me a day or two and I will get back to you with some kit options.
thanks!

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: River Suir, Cahir Ireland
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 04:30:59 PM »
For R6000-R7000 I can kit you out with a Rod, Reel and Line from some of the top brand names out there.


It would be an honest waste to go out to the UK and buy something there with the weak Rand, just not worth it.
Give me a day or two and I will get back to you with some kit options.
thanks!


I stuck out my feelers and I should have a list for you in the morning.

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: River Suir, Cahir Ireland
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 04:55:38 PM »
Combo 1
Orvis Frequent Flier 7pc  5wt travel rod R2250.00
Orvis G3 Line R599.00 less 20%
Orvis Rocky Mountain turbine reel R889.00 less 20%
Total R3440


Combo 2



TFO BVK 5wt 4pc R3100.00
Rio Grand line R695.00
TFO BVK I reel R2150.00
 
Total R5945.00
 
substitute above reel for TFO Mk1 R2527 less 25%
Total R5690.00
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 05:05:30 PM by E.T. »

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: River Suir, Cahir Ireland
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 05:11:34 PM »
Rod Options 5wt 9' 4 piece rods


Hardy Demon @ R4290
Greys Streamflex @ R2495
Greys X Flite @ R2695
Orvis Access @ R3200
TVO BVK @ R2990
St. Croix Bank Robber @ R4290


Reel Options


Shilton CK2 @ R2890
Shilton CK3 @ R2900
Shilton CR2 @ R3090
Shilton CR3 @ R3190
Hardy Demon Older Model with 3 cassettes @ R3300
Hardy Uniqua @ R2550
Hardy Ultralite @ R2200
Lamson Vanquish @ R4700
Various Waterworks Lamson Models from R1350-R4700, these include the Litespeed, Velocity, etc.


Lines


Rio Gold and Sci Anglers Mastery Series in the R500-R700


Lets see what tomorrow brings. w;k

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: River Suir, Cahir Ireland
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
Phew! I need a consultant to make the decision!

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: River Suir, Cahir Ireland
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 06:16:01 PM »
Phew! I need a consultant to make the decision!


Let me add to the list then....


Sage One complete with Hatch Reel and line @ R6000, this setup retails for about R10 000.

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: River Suir, Cahir Ireland
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 12:28:52 PM »
Another Combo

Sage VXP 590-4 rod: R4680.00

Sage 1650 reel: R940.00

Scientific Anglers GPX WF5F  line: R700.00
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 12:29:15 PM by E.T. »

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: River Suir, Cahir Ireland
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 12:37:33 PM »
Ziggy


Here you now have a few options.
Seeing that you are going to fly, I would consider getting a rod that is a Smuggler.
By Smuggler I mean a 5 or 7 piece rod. Why? Well the answer is simple really.
You can pop that rod into your briefcase if you want. If you don't carry a briefcase, then you can chuck it into your luggage.


I am sorry but my fly rods either go with me as carry on luggage or they go into my luggage. Loose fly rods/cases tends to get stolen.


Best of luck with your decision.

Oh, if you decide on any of the options above. All you need to do is ask and I will advise you where you can get them.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 12:39:10 PM by E.T. »

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: River Suir, Cahir Ireland
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 12:51:40 PM »
Thanks ET - I am going to study all these carefully over the next few days and will get back to you with some questions I am sure
 :+ cred:

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: River Suir, Cahir Ireland
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 02:51:34 PM »
You are most welcome. I still believe that you will go far getting better deals Rand for Rand wise in the UK.

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: River Suir, Cahir Ireland
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 09:02:38 AM »
Ziggy


Heres 4 more combos


Combo 1


Xplorer Guide II 904-5 9ft 4pce 9wt fly rod R 1 775.00
Xplorer Guide II 5/7 fly reel R 1 525.00
Dacron Backing 20lb - 100yds R 50.00
Rio Gold WF5F floating fly line R 720.00
Total: R 4 070.00


Combo 2


Xplorer T50 904-5 9ft 4pce 9wt fly rod R 3 275.00
Xplorer Guide II 5/7 fly reel R 1 525.00
Dacron Backing 20lb - 100yds R 50.00
Rio Gold WF5F floating fly line R 720.00
Total : R 5 570.00


Combo 3


G.Loomis Streamdance GLX 9ft 4pce 5wt R 4 999.00
Xplorer Guide II 5/7 fly reel R 1 525.00
Dacron Backing 20lb - 100yds R 50.00
Rio Gold WF5F floating fly line R 720.00
Total: R 7 294.00


Combo 4


G.Loomis NRX 9ft 4pce 5wt R 5 999.00
Xplorer Guide II 5/7 fly reel R 1 525.00
Dacron Backing 20lb - 100yds R 50.00
Rio Gold WF5F floating fly line R 720.00
Total : R 8 294.00


« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 09:03:25 AM by E.T. »

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: River Suir, Cahir Ireland
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 09:05:21 AM »
Another Combo from a different supplier.....


Stealth Infinity 5 or 6wt
Stealth SLA Reel
Floating Line
Total : R3500

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: River Suir, Cahir Ireland
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 09:07:44 AM »
I now went and stuffed up your choices proper. :hehe:
In short, you now have a wide range to choose from. :vio

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: River Suir, Cahir Ireland
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 10:00:08 AM »
I now went and stuffed up your choices proper. :hehe:
In short, you now have a wide range to choose from. :vio


never a truer word said!!!! Having problems with Voyager sorting out a ticket for me - so the trip looks like it is in jeopardy! But that does not stop me buying a new rod though!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal