Author Topic: JohnSam's journey into dropshot  (Read 8536 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Johnsam

  • Skipper JohnSam
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Love fishing more than living in Bloem!
  • Location: Bloemfontein
JohnSam's journey into dropshot
« on: November 23, 2020, 09:11:44 PM »
Two years ago I researched the perfect all around Rock and Surf, bait or spinning setup and ended up with a 11'6ft Heavy/Fast action Daiwa BG Power Spin rod (1-3oz) and a Penn Fierce II 5000 prespooled with 20lb Grinder braid.


So I pretty much thought I was the bees knees, but was kinda bugged cause I felt over gunned for what I caught (Zebra, Blacktail)


So I started dreaming of something smaller and softer... then I came across dropshotting.  After reading and researching and mumbling and musing I bought my second setup today...


8ft Heavy/Slow action Assasin Spin with a Penn Fierce II 3000 (November special R699) and still need to spool it with Gatorbraid 20lb 0.10mm braid.


I chose 8ft especially because I'm leaving a size gap between the 8ft and 11'6ft for my next setup which will be a 10ft hehehe. Its also the reason I got a soft action. That and I want to really work for the catches on the 8ft whilst making casting super easy. I figure if I use circle hooks then I will be able to strike in time and being new to this the rod will absorb striking too hard in the excitement of getting a bite.


Now I also have a trip to the Strand coming up to test it all out and I'm planning on wading out to the reefs looking for Kob and Shad. Just so happens it'll be New Moon whilst I'm there so I'll be able to see all the reefs clearly at low tide and get familiar with them.


Does anyone fish round there often? It'd be a richer experience to buddy up for a session if there's anyone interested?
Once the pull of hooked fish is felt by an angler he is lost to the sea forever. Such an absorbing an enthralling moment it stays with you and keeps you yearning for your next chance to experince it once more. It is like the cycle of birth (preparing to fish), life (fishing) and death (the fading memory of the strike and fight). So seldom can we humble humans experience such a wonder.

Offline Nooduck

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 275
  • Cred: 14
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Fourways Johannesburg
Re: JohnSam's journey into dropshot
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 11:09:11 PM »
T I figure if I use circle hooks then I will be able to strike in time and being new to this the rod will absorb striking too hard in the excitement of getting a bite.

:welc:  Johnsam


Please explain dropshot with circle hooks or are you referring to bait fishing?

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: JohnSam's journey into dropshot
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 12:36:27 PM »
Spinning , lure fishing in strand are , very limited .


Leervis elf and Kob that would be targets .


Going down on your tackle will aid in the fun part as these fish are generally small , but fun to catch .


If you gooi small plugs and spoons 1 Oz .


The reefs I would not suggest you go,outhrere alone .


From the slip to vblakes beach are the area predominantly produce above mentioned species on lures .
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Johnsam

  • Skipper JohnSam
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Love fishing more than living in Bloem!
  • Location: Bloemfontein
Re: JohnSam's journey into dropshot
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 08:32:38 PM »
Spinning , lure fishing in strand are , very limited .


Leervis elf and Kob that would be targets .


Going down on your tackle will aid in the fun part as these fish are generally small , but fun to catch .


If you gooi small plugs and spoons 1 Oz .


The reefs I would not suggest you go,outhrere alone .


From the slip to vblakes beach are the area predominantly produce above mentioned species on lures .


Why not alone on the reefs, I am confident in the water and comfortable wading in seas even swimming if necessary. Is it sharks, thieves or the sea (ie. Drowning) that is the need for caution?
Once the pull of hooked fish is felt by an angler he is lost to the sea forever. Such an absorbing an enthralling moment it stays with you and keeps you yearning for your next chance to experince it once more. It is like the cycle of birth (preparing to fish), life (fishing) and death (the fading memory of the strike and fight). So seldom can we humble humans experience such a wonder.

Offline Johnsam

  • Skipper JohnSam
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Love fishing more than living in Bloem!
  • Location: Bloemfontein
Re: JohnSam's journey into dropshot
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 08:34:43 PM »
T I figure if I use circle hooks then I will be able to strike in time and being new to this the rod will absorb striking too hard in the excitement of getting a bite.

:welc:  Johnsam


Please explain dropshot with circle hooks or are you referring to bait fishing?


Bait fishing with circle hooks, wide gap bass hooks for dropshot
Once the pull of hooked fish is felt by an angler he is lost to the sea forever. Such an absorbing an enthralling moment it stays with you and keeps you yearning for your next chance to experince it once more. It is like the cycle of birth (preparing to fish), life (fishing) and death (the fading memory of the strike and fight). So seldom can we humble humans experience such a wonder.

Offline Johnsam

  • Skipper JohnSam
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Love fishing more than living in Bloem!
  • Location: Bloemfontein
Re: JohnSam's journey into dropshot
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 05:54:35 PM »
I've been thinking does anyone add a string of chokka to the hook that sticks out the top of a  dropshot jighead rigged with a paddle tail?


My thinking is it'll be super attractive without disrupting the bait movement.
Once the pull of hooked fish is felt by an angler he is lost to the sea forever. Such an absorbing an enthralling moment it stays with you and keeps you yearning for your next chance to experince it once more. It is like the cycle of birth (preparing to fish), life (fishing) and death (the fading memory of the strike and fight). So seldom can we humble humans experience such a wonder.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal