ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Rock and Surf Traces and Rigs => Topic started by: REEFMAN on May 15, 2011, 05:41:18 PM

Title: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: REEFMAN on May 15, 2011, 05:41:18 PM
(http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/FISHING/Fishing%20stuff/SWIM%20BAIT/swim1.jpg)

There are lots of ways of making a Swim Bait Trace. The method I describe here is the old fashioned tried and tested Swim Bait Trace that used to be used off the Durban Pier back in the days. It has been modified with some modern technology.

Choose your favourite hooks... I'm using Mustad Big Game 9/0 and a Mustad Z-Steel 12/0 Circle.

Bind the hooks together, back to back, using the knot of your choice.

(http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/FISHING/Fishing%20stuff/SWIM%20BAIT/swim2.jpg)


Your #7 Piano wire should now be cut into 3 equal size pieces... about 3m each. 1 packet of Piano Wire will get you one Swim Bait trace.

(http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/FISHING/Fishing%20stuff/SWIM%20BAIT/swim3.jpg)

(http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/FISHING/Fishing%20stuff/SWIM%20BAIT/swim4.jpg)

(http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/FISHING/Fishing%20stuff/SWIM%20BAIT/swim5.jpg)

(http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/FISHING/Fishing%20stuff/SWIM%20BAIT/swim6.jpg)

(http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/FISHING/Fishing%20stuff/SWIM%20BAIT/swim7.jpg)

(http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/FISHING/Fishing%20stuff/SWIM%20BAIT/swim8.jpg)

(http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/FISHING/Fishing%20stuff/SWIM%20BAIT/swim9.jpg)

(http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/FISHING/Fishing%20stuff/SWIM%20BAIT/swim10.jpg)

(http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/FISHING/Fishing%20stuff/SWIM%20BAIT/swim11.jpg)

(http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/FISHING/Fishing%20stuff/SWIM%20BAIT/swim12.jpg)
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: Kumz on May 15, 2011, 06:07:01 PM
 (clap) :shre: . + cred ...  :udman:
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: John F on May 15, 2011, 06:08:23 PM
Thanks Reefz!

Great tut! +cred!
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: MIKE PIKE on May 15, 2011, 07:11:11 PM
 (clap)   (clap) .. proper swimbait trace that.. :tkx: .
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: steve m on May 15, 2011, 07:12:01 PM
nice  :corrct:
 
just one thing is that those z-steel circles open easily....
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: sea sick on May 15, 2011, 07:43:17 PM
Reefs

very nice there.
it's time you put all those traces to the test, no use just making them.
we want prqactical feed back

ss
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: REEFMAN on May 15, 2011, 07:43:58 PM
10/0 may open easily - it even looks thin. 12/0... I don't think so.... Is as thick as the VMC Longliner 12/0's

But I'm not crazy about the idea of using Circles on Swim Baits anyway. Pic no. 3 is my preferred setup... 2 Mustad Big Game J Hooks back to back...
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: REEFMAN on May 15, 2011, 07:44:32 PM
Reefs

very nice there.
it's time you put all those traces to the test, no use just making them.
we want prqactical feed back

ss

Vidal is 160 days away...
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: Toppie on May 15, 2011, 07:59:58 PM
.....and I'll keep you guys supplied with live baits (PS: and win the most species comp  :hyst: )
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: REEFMAN on May 15, 2011, 08:15:32 PM
(clap)   (clap) .. proper swimbait trace that.. :tkx: .

Where's yours??????  <:
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: Fritz on May 15, 2011, 08:25:15 PM
Thanks for the post Tony. Its always good to see how other people make swimbait taces and I think it was about time that we started covering this topic.  + creds for you.
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: MIKE PIKE on May 15, 2011, 08:39:19 PM
Where's yours??????  <:
     sry ....  :creep:   :creep: ... need to get some heavy duty ball bearing swivels still then i'll make them up soon .
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: ONDE ONDA on May 16, 2011, 06:58:08 AM
:happ: Good one Tony  :happ:
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: Half-Pint on May 16, 2011, 07:54:20 AM
Nice trace Tony but I have doubts about any J hook anywhere near a circle. 
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: REEFMAN on May 16, 2011, 08:34:28 AM
Nice trace Tony but I have doubts about any J hook anywhere near a circle.

?Why?
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: WalkersKiller on May 16, 2011, 08:40:39 AM
Yet another superb post Reefz + cred  (clap)
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: BigG on May 16, 2011, 08:49:30 AM
Great looking trace Tony   :win:


And as always   :clfoto:


++ Cr
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: Half-Pint on May 16, 2011, 08:59:15 AM
Its probably easier if I show you at the social but the way I see it is that with a circle you need the fish to almost swallow the bait then reel up and because the point is turned inwards it won't hook up until it reaches the scissors of the jaw. With the j hook the moment you tighten up if the point touches anything it will set or at least partially set into that defeating the whole object of the circle hook. Like I say its easier to demonstrate my theory
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: steve m on May 16, 2011, 05:52:04 PM
10/0 may open easily - it even looks thin. 12/0... I don't think so.... Is as thick as the VMC Longliner 12/0's

But I'm not crazy about the idea of using Circles on Swim Baits anyway. Pic no. 3 is my preferred setup... 2 Mustad Big Game J Hooks back to back...

I agree that the 10/0 is bnot strong but niether is the 11/0 and i have had the 14/0 mustad (the longline one) open on a raggie of 117kgs can only imagine what a zambi etc would do.... however it might work 100% but i wouldnt want to increase the risk rather use the 20/0 mustad (R15) or the 18/0 mustad(R12.50) or even 16/0(R5) all of which are stronger or just use j hooks? but i could be wrong...
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: REEFMAN on May 16, 2011, 06:37:40 PM

I agree that the 10/0 is bnot strong but niether is the 11/0 and i have had the 14/0 mustad (the longline one) open on a raggie of 117kgs can only imagine what a zambi etc would do.... however it might work 100% but i wouldnt want to increase the risk rather use the 20/0 mustad (R15) or the 18/0 mustad(R12.50) or even 16/0(R5) all of which are stronger or just use j hooks? but i could be wrong...

Nope I agree with you. The Circle was basically used as a demo, because many guys make their swim traces this way. As I said, my preferred way would be to put 2 J-hooks back to back...
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: Garrick on May 17, 2011, 02:11:41 PM
 :win: :win: :win: :shre: :shre: :shre:
 :udman: :udman: :udman:
 
Great stuff Tony.You definately in the wrong field bru.
 
 :grk:
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: REEFMAN on May 17, 2011, 05:03:45 PM
Glad it helps bud!
 :ayb
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: steve m on May 18, 2011, 11:22:57 AM
have you guys ever been bitten off on the triple twisted #7?
 
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: REEFMAN on May 18, 2011, 11:56:08 AM
have you guys ever been bitten off on the tyriple twisted #7?

I'm not experienced enough with swimbaits to have an opinion on that. What I do know is that the guys who do use them prefer them to steel or Carbon coated, because it's thin and rigid enough to slip into the gaps between teeth... minimizing the friction on contact with chompers...??
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: Half-Pint on May 18, 2011, 11:59:01 AM
I have heard of people being chowed off on the piano wire but at the right angle any steel will get bitten off so you just have to accept it as part of life
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: steve m on May 26, 2011, 02:10:40 PM
I was talking to a guy about crimps on the weekend and he reckons that alu crimps will corode very very quickly i had heard that before and checked here aswell... http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/crimp_techniques.html (http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/crimp_techniques.html)
 
Reefs what is the reason for useing the alu crimps if they corode much quickers than other crimps?
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: REEFMAN on May 26, 2011, 02:18:40 PM
I don't really think that it's an issue for this application Steve. How often are you going to reuse a Swim bait trace? I reckon once you've used it, it will come back a bit tangled, kinked and unusable? I only need an Alu crimp to last for one session, maybe 2 at a push. Don't think it's going to corrode badly enough in a day to affect it's strength?
Title: Re: The Classic old Natal Swimbait Trace
Post by: Manuel Junior on November 22, 2011, 03:34:38 PM
 :shre:  Very Nice Post!!! REEFMAN (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) :happ:
 
 
 I love  :ult:
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal