ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

OFFSHORE ANGLING => Inshore Boating => Topic started by: SAfish on April 16, 2011, 04:09:56 PM

Title: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 16, 2011, 04:09:56 PM
This is probably not the best time of the year to start this thread as the summer fishing season is drawing to a close. We are lucky because fishing here in the estuary never really comes to a complete stand still. This is just a guideline and I am by no means an expert. Please feel free to ask questions and I will try and answer them.

General:

The Knysna Lagoon as it is usually referred to, is not an actual lagoon but an estuary. The estuary is fed by the Knysna River which has a catchment area of about 330km² and delivers an estimated 110 – 133 million m³ of water each year. The lagoon covers 1 827ha and is about 3km at its widest. The estuary is fairly shallow with an average depth between 1.2 and 1.5m with a maximum depth of 16m and the tidal rise and fall is about 1.8m at spring tide.
Where the estuary joins the sea it is flanked by the world famous "Knysna Heads". The mouth is 230m wide and about 3.9m deep. Depending on the tide the current flows up to 4.6km/h with a flow of 1000-2000 m³ per second. This strong current and swirling wind makes the Heads very dangerous and only experienced skippers should attempt to pass through it. Many lives have been lost here through the years. One of the best known ships that went to Davy Jones’ Locker here was the Paquita. It went down on 18 October 1903 near Beacon Rock and divers can still see the ribs of her hull.
The Eastern Head with its up market residential area is easily accessible to the public and have a lookout area with breath taking views. There is a webcam at the Eastern Head and you guys can check out what the conditions are like during daylight hours. http://www.theheads.co.za/ (http://www.theheads.co.za/) Awesome hey?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 16, 2011, 04:10:24 PM
The Western Head is a proclaimed nature reserve called "Featherbed Nature Reserve" which is a big attraction for tourists with its restaurant and walking trails. It is only accessible by boat and ferries.
Knysna is known for its beautiful forest. It is a magic place where time seems to stand still. It is lovely to go and spend a relaxing day there. If you are really lucky you might see signs of the wild elephants hiding in the bush. Knysna is also famous for its local timber industry. Some of the finest furniture are manufactured here from local Yellow wood and Stink wood to name a few. Yellow wood was in such abundance in the old days that almost everything was made from it. When you go inside an old building here you can almost be certain that all the timber will be Yellow wood, even the rafters. These days the harvesting of trees in the forest is strictly regulated to ensure sustainability.
Knysna is also a Golfer’s paradise with 3 top golf courses within sight from each other. They are Knysna Golf course, Simola Golf Estate and Pezula Golf Estate.
Pezula played host to the French soccer team and Simola played host to the team from Denmark in the 2010 Soccer World Cup.
Knysna has a moderate climate with an average temperature of 18.8°C in July to 27.5°C in February. The coldest month is July when the mercury drops to 7.1°C on average during the night.
Knysna normally receives about 716mm of rain per annum, with rainfall occurring throughout the year.
The Knysna estuary is also home to the Knysna Sea Horse – Hippocampus Capensis and it is the world's only known estuarine seahorse species. They make their home in the dense vegetation and boaters should be careful not to enter these shallow areas.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 16, 2011, 04:10:49 PM
Boating:

Make sure you have the relevant permits obtainable from the post office. We are lucky to have a very active group of Parks board rangers and you might end up paying more for the fine than what the permit costs. An additional permit is necessary if you are going to make use of a boat on the lagoon. This permit is obtainable from the Parks board offices at the Thesen jetty. Make sure to take your vessel’s sea worthy certificate with you. The rangers do regular patrols per boat and will check your permits etc. If you do not comply with the regulations they might ask you to remove your boat from the water. Boat traffic during the holidays can get fairly heavy and you need to adhere to the basic rules. Always keep a lookout for other boats and people enjoying the water. Accidents happen quickly and will ruin your holiday. Keep a safe distance from skiers and other water users. There is nothing more aggravating than another boat racing close past you while you are fishing. Everybody has the right to be able to enjoy themselves so don’t be selfish!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 16, 2011, 04:11:22 PM
Fishing:

The Knysna estuary is home to more than 20 species of fish which makes it an ideal fishing location. Popular species are Grunter, White Steenbras, Kob, Garrick/Leervis, Elf/Shad and Mullet. Most of these species can be caught throughout the year but the summer months are the best time to fish for them. Fish normally moves up in the estuary with the pushing tide and down with the outgoing tide. It is therefore advisable to fish close to the heads at low tide and then move up with the pushing tide towards the “white bridge”. This is the bridge you cross when coming into town from George.
Sometimes when the water is cold the fish tend to stay high up in the river. After a couple of days of South Easterly wind you can expect to find the fish high up in the river as this wind cools the water down.
The estuary can be very difficult to fish sometimes and you will have to search hard and wide to find the fish. See the attached marked up Google map for general guidelines.
Various skates, rays and shark species also call the estuary their home and sometimes the monster Grunter or Kob turns out to be one of these fish. The largest Diamond that that I know of that was caught here weighed 88kg! There are also some big Raggies present and they can bust up your usual light tackle without breaking a sweat. Haha, do fish sweat?

Here is a link to an article on how to collect worm bait. http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,626.0.html (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,626.0.html)
These worms are excellent bait for Grunter, Steenbras and Kob. I prefer to use live Mullet as bait when I target Garrick and Kob.

Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: John F on April 16, 2011, 04:26:50 PM
Great post!

 (clap) :win:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: PH on April 16, 2011, 06:09:01 PM
 :win:
Thanks Hermann!!

I will print this and take it with me in December!!

Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: MIKE PIKE on April 16, 2011, 08:29:28 PM
Very interesting Hermann, i've done the Featherbed nature reserve walk and it was very interesting with some good views as well.. (clap)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Kumz on April 17, 2011, 08:54:25 AM
 (clap)..... :tkx:....... :win:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 17, 2011, 01:40:34 PM
I pumped some blood and moonshine worms this morning and later I will go and release them again ..... fshg  There is a strong SE wind blowing and I hope the water did not cool down too much.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: WalkersKiller on April 18, 2011, 08:22:24 AM
Fantastic post Hermann, love reading stuff about inshore and estuary angling, its an awesome way offishing! Cred to you bru!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 20, 2011, 01:34:13 PM
Report and outlook for Easter Weekend

The water temperature has dropped drastically since last Saturday and everyone is complaining that it is still fairly cold. Saturday saw a couple of small Leeries coming out. I had a confirmed report of a 8.5kg Grunter that was caught :shk  and I will see if I can get some more details. I fished on Sunday afternoon but my bait came out untouched.
We are in for some bad weather for the next two days but it will clear up from Friday with stunning days predicted for Saturday and Sunday. I hope the Westerly wind brings warmer water and fishing should be good later in the weekend. Bad weather looks to set in again from Tuesday with big swells so R&S fishing is not advisable.
Have a great Easter weekend, stay safe and God Bless.  :fshn:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 26, 2011, 12:01:07 PM
26/04/2011
This was how the morning started:
09:04 am
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: WalkersKiller on April 26, 2011, 12:02:04 PM
Stunning view  :-)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 26, 2011, 12:04:15 PM
This is 2 hours later:
10:51am
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 26, 2011, 12:08:21 PM
Thanks WK.
We had wind gusts of 25 knots and several boats broke free of their moorings. At the moment the NSRI is busy with the recovery of a sailboat that ran aground on a sand bank. The weather forecast does not look good for the next two days and I would advise people not to go on the water as conditions will deteriorate further. :wndy
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: WalkersKiller on April 26, 2011, 12:11:16 PM
Thanks WK.
We had wind gusts of 25 knots and several boats broke free of their moorings. At the moment the NSRI is busy with the recovery of a sailboat that ran aground on a sand bank. The weather forecast does not look good for the next two days and I would advise people not to go on the water as conditions will deteriorate further. :wndy
:shk sounds hectic!!!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: J-Rock on April 26, 2011, 04:59:52 PM
 :tkx:for the info... Will use it soon enough!!! :happ:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Daisy on April 27, 2011, 04:17:31 PM
This is a very good report and I am so glad you have finally started it.I will be looking out for the next one...great reading and lots to learn...thanks Hermann!!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 27, 2011, 05:27:34 PM
This is a very good report and I am so glad you have finally started it.I will be looking out for the next one...great reading and lots to learn...thanks Hermann!!
Thank you, Oom, it is much appreciated.  :tkx:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 28, 2011, 09:41:34 AM
28 April 2011 - News and Outlook:

Hi all, the weather has been miserable with strong winds, cold and rain. The water temperature is below 16 degrees and fishing is not going to be great if you are planning to catch something. :hehe:
The current 5-6m swells will flatten toward the weekend and we can expect waves of 2-3m with light winds from Saturday onward. If you are planning a day outside I would go for Sunday. The weather looks to be moderate with some sunshine and increase in temperature but expect the water temperature to be still cold.
I am going to give it a go and if I catch something it will be a bonus. If you are returning home on Monday please drive careful and get home safe.
Here are a some photos I took yesterday at "the heads" to show you guys the sea conditions.


Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 28, 2011, 09:45:25 AM
.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: WalkersKiller on April 28, 2011, 11:46:09 AM
Thanks for sharing Hermann  :-)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on May 07, 2011, 09:54:54 AM
I didn't get the chance to post an outlook for this weekend so I thought I'll share with you this photo I took on Wednesday morning.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: WalkersKiller on May 07, 2011, 12:13:05 PM
Absolutely beautiful Hermann im so jelous  :shre:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: tyrrell on May 09, 2011, 04:48:48 PM
Hiya Hermann, what do you think the fishing may be like in June? How is it usually at that time of year?Thinking about pulling through then for a week or so for some R&R, and will def be launching the boat.  :ult:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Daisy on May 09, 2011, 05:14:17 PM
Awesome photos of a beautifull place.How I miss my caravan camping at Brenton on lake..and fishing under the train bridge...at night.We have such a wondefull country and I am sure my friends in Egoli will love to be there...but for now I will do with the Baan.Thanks for showing me and others how close paradise is...enjoy it!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on May 09, 2011, 06:07:53 PM
Thanks guys and Oom, a day does not go by that I don't count my blessings for being able to live in and enjoy such a wonderful place.
Tyrrell, the fish are here the whole year but they will have slowed down a lot and you will have to work harder to get them. You might get the odd Kob or Leerie but they are very seldom caught in the winter months. Your best bet would be to pump blood worm and target Steenbras and Grunter. It will all depend on the weather and I will keep you updated on any fishing news.  :tite
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Kumz on May 09, 2011, 06:20:43 PM
 :shk  love the last pic u posted ....  :win: ....  :shre: ....  :-(  i miss the coast .... :cry:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: tyrrell on May 10, 2011, 02:26:43 PM
Great, thanks SAfish. If I do head to your neck of the woods i'l give you a call and maybe we can make a plan  :shre:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on May 10, 2011, 03:02:52 PM
That would be great.  :win:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on May 18, 2011, 09:16:36 AM
Well guys, with regards to the lagoon and R&S side there is not really anything to report on at the moment. I have not heard of any good fish that came out and the water seems a bit dead. The water is calm with low waves, light winds and the water temperature is around 16-17 degrees Celsius. The water is clear and you will have to work hard to get your fish. I suggest using well presented baits and fishing in low light conditions like early morning or late afternoon with night time as first prize. Just be careful when fishing at night and try to fish in a group. Make use of the low spring tide to go and pump your favourite bait and fish on the mud flats at high tide in the afternoon for Grunter and Steenbras. If you want to do R&S and target eds I would suggest going for Elf/Shad or Belman as these fish don't really mind the clear water.
Go out there and enjoy yourself, whether you get a fish or not and be thankful for the opportunity to enjoy our beautiful country.  :tite
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: WalkersKiller on May 19, 2011, 08:50:11 AM
 :shre:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 08, 2011, 06:28:36 PM
We had some serious rain the last 24 hours. It Started last night and by 8am this morning we received 88mm! Roads were flooded everywhere and my son had to come to work with me because his school was closed due to flooding. What also made it worse was that high tide was around 8am and the water could not flow away properly. Knysna has a serious problem with storm water management and sometimes our roads are flooded by seawater pushing up into the rain water drainage system. The following photos were taken at my wife's work and the last one is the road to my work. Hectic!  :wndy  :rain:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: J-Rock on June 08, 2011, 06:44:20 PM
We had some serious rain the last 24 hours. It Started last night and by 8am this morning we received 88mm! Roads were flooded everywhere and my son had to come to work with me because his school was closed due to flooding. What also made it worse was that high tide was around 8am and the water could not flow away properly. Knysna has a serious problem with storm water management and sometimes our roads are flooded by seawater pushing up into the rain water drainage system. The following photos were taken at my wife's work and the last one is the road to my work. Hectic!  :wndy  :rain:

That's hectic SaFish... The upside side is now you can fish from your "stoep"... :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 08, 2011, 07:01:40 PM
That's hectic SaFish... The upside side is now you can fish from your "stoep"... :hehe: :hehe:
:hehe: Maybe I will be able to improve on my fresh water PB's! :lolo: :carp:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 09, 2011, 08:19:57 AM
Wow thats hectic Hermann, theres a lot of water!!!! After work maybe through a plug from your balcony  :dunno:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: J-Rock on June 09, 2011, 09:23:44 AM
Wow thats hectic Hermann, theres a lot of water!!!! After work maybe through a plug from your balcony  :dunno:

You can sit on the couch, watch TV, drink a beer & fish all at the same time...  :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 09, 2011, 01:35:14 PM
You can sit on the couch, watch TV, drink a beer & fish all at the same time...  :hehe: :hehe:
:win: :fshn:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: J-Rock on June 09, 2011, 02:15:05 PM
:win: :fshn:
[/quote

We're all gathering @ SaFish's house this weekend. We'll watch some rugby, have some :beer: & make a couple of casts from the balcony, maybe even sliding out something.

 :rain: +  :beer: +  :fshn: =  :wahoo: :cout: :dor: :gt: :grk: :yft: :blktl: :gljn: :pylie: :stray: :shd: :shrk: :brnz: :carp: :brbel: :trout: :rotfl :hyst:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 09, 2011, 02:16:56 PM
 :hehe: :hehe: Hermann you ok with that? Im keen to throw a few topwater lures while watching the Lions win this weekend?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 09, 2011, 02:18:29 PM
 :hehe: You guys are most welcome, just bring your own beer and fish. O, and there is a lot of mud to slide in.  w;k
The weather looks good for the weekend.  :fshn: :gljn:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: J-Rock on June 09, 2011, 02:24:15 PM
:win: :fshn:
:hehe: You guys are most welcome, just bring your own beer and fish. O, and there is a lot of mud to slide in.  w;k
The weather looks good for the weekend.  :fshn: :gljn:

Mud will make WK happy... He can find all his fav. freshies in there somewhere.. :carp: :brbel: :trout:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 09, 2011, 02:25:39 PM
 :hyst: :hyst: :carp: :brbel:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 09, 2011, 02:25:53 PM
Mud will make WK happy... He can find all his fav. freshies in there somewhere.. :carp: :brbel: :trout:
:lolo: :lolo:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 25, 2011, 06:28:01 PM
It is that time of the year again and from 1 - 10 July Knysna will play host to the Pick n Pay Knysna Oyster Festival. This festival grows every year and it caters for everyone. Here is a link to this year's programme: http://www.oysterfestival.co.za/programme (http://www.oysterfestival.co.za/programme)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: tyrrell on July 22, 2011, 04:43:25 PM
I've finally found a gap and will absolutely, positively, come-rain-or-shine be in Knysna the first weekend of August. How's the lagoon been treating you lately Herman? Anything coming out?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on July 22, 2011, 07:05:01 PM
Hiya, Buddy? The lagoon is fairly quiet at the moment and the water is cold. There are some nice Grunter and Steenbras around but the guys have to work hard for them. I hope things will change by the end of the month. August is not a bad month to target Mussel Crackers in the lagoon but as you know they are very vulnerable when in the lagoon and should be released if possible. Let me know when you are planning to come down, maybe we can organise a mini UA social around a couple of  :beer:'s ?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: tyrrell on July 23, 2011, 08:46:19 AM
Well let's hope that conditions improve quickly then hey. Work has completely dominated my time as of late, so i have to take advantage of some lagoon time regardless. Will give you a shout closer to the time.
 :beer:  +  :fshn:  =  :win:
 
- Ryler
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on July 23, 2011, 08:53:18 AM
I am looking forward to it. I have been very busy myself and need to make more time for fishing or else I will go :craz:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: tyrrell on July 23, 2011, 09:05:06 AM
I hear you on that! I'm pretty sure I've already lost the plot a bit. There are few things quite as depressing as receiving one of those "wish you were here" mms' containing pics of fish and a report of excellent fishing, all while you're slogging away behind a desk at work. Soon enough though, I plan on returning the favour...  fshg
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on July 24, 2011, 09:03:47 AM
We are having some nasty weather at the moment.  :wndy So far we had 28mm of rain since 03:30 and it is so dark outside that the street lights are still on. It looks like a hot chocolate and DVD day.  w;k
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on July 25, 2011, 01:51:09 PM
Hey Hermann,

Rain is not so bad, last time we caught, we blitzed the fish (steenbras and the the big grunter) after a 24hr downpour. (Three weeks or so ago) I recall the water being unusually dirty and it was one fish after the next....well, for one little guy it was so, for everyone else it was "get out the way I need the net again!"

Cheers
Robin
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: WalkersKiller on July 25, 2011, 02:05:03 PM
 :welc: Robin  :shre:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on July 25, 2011, 02:13:19 PM
Tks WK
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on July 25, 2011, 03:17:07 PM
Hey Robin, I am glad you made it here, I know you are going to have a great time on UA.  (clap) :uarocks
I just checked and we got 96mm since yesterday morning! It is also bitterly cold and I don't think I am going to fish soon. Brrr!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: tyrrell on July 25, 2011, 03:19:34 PM
Don't shoot me if I'm wrong about this  w;k , but I've been told by "those in the know", that the period after heavy rainfall is a great time to go hunting grunter and steenies. Something to do with the prawns not being able to cope with the much lower salinity levels, so they seal off their burrows to trap in the salt water they need. Now the fish are cruising around and can't find their usual quarry as the telltale holes are gone, so they will become really aggressive in the search for their next meal and will go for just about anything in the water.
 
Anyone know how much it costs per HP to register a boat for the lagoon? Trying to get this taken care of before I pull through next week.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on July 25, 2011, 03:23:02 PM
I will find out for you and let you know. What size motor(s) do you have on your boat?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: tyrrell on July 25, 2011, 03:27:07 PM
Thanks bud! 90hP  :uarocks
Now to just hope for better weather hey. Either that or make sure that there's some OB's onboard.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on July 25, 2011, 03:35:07 PM
Tyrell, your annual fee for a 90hp is R218 and it is valid for the Knysna lagoon, Swartvlei (Sedgefield) and Island Lake (Wilderness). Make sure to bring with your Buoyancy Certificate, Skippers License and Certificate of Fitness.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: tyrrell on July 25, 2011, 03:42:25 PM
Thanks SAfish, much appreciated! Amazing how much has to be spent to be "allowed" to do something, before actually doing it.
 :tkx:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on July 26, 2011, 03:19:19 PM
Hey Tyrell,

I renew every April...they work the annual permits in 6 month cycles. So if you register in the middle of the cycle...no discount. And they check. The very first day I was out on the water they came to check. They never asked for fishing lic or anything else, just the permit. I genuinely was going to get mine later that day, they did a circle around us, then saw the 'old' disc and came to ask. I told them that I was going to pop in later and they said it's fine and that we must enjoy the fishing. After they were that nice, I made an effort to get the permit the minute the motor switched off. Amazing how nice they were. And I've seen them grilling a row boat for not having enough life jackets. Nice to have guys that have a fresh interest in what they do.

Hey Hermann - meant to tell you....I was fiddling around in the mud opposite Leisure Isle harbour on the thesen bank..and found a nice big garden fork buried in the mud with a big stick marking the spot :unhap . Since no-one had their name & tel number on it (gee I wonder why)...I took it and added it to the Thesen Island bin where we moor the boat :hnthnt: .

Anyone been looking for a garden fork there??

Regards
Robin




Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on July 26, 2011, 03:47:34 PM
Robin, I also found one hidden on the grass banks. It is now used for what it was made for .... garden work.
We are blessed with some really good rangers who actually take pride in their job.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on July 26, 2011, 04:58:09 PM
Hermann, the way these guys execute their duties and the manner in which they deal with the public is very good. The could have told me top get off the water, but they did not. They afforded me the chance to do the right thing. (Which as I said, I was going to do when the tide was low and the boat was moored). Interestingly they checked me when we had the permit last year and asked for my Skipper Lic.....right after the crashed into us. :lolo: The starboard side pontoon of their nose section nearly hit me in my left ear! Just shows that none of us are perfect pilots.

But seriously, I agree with you, they are very active and it is really good to see. I read an interesting topic by Tommo and the Grunters taking surface lures...did you try it in the lagoon?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on July 26, 2011, 05:35:51 PM
I am trying but still need to catch one on a surface lure. I like to stalk them while wading but the cold water conditions are hampering my efforts.  :hehe:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on July 26, 2011, 06:05:23 PM
Yeah, it does not help that most Grunters are watching the sardine run. I'm going to practice here in Cape Town with my little man (Just practicing the retrieve so we see what it looks like and perfecting it) and when we get there in dec, I'll let him loose. If anyone can do it he can.  :fshn:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on July 26, 2011, 06:08:10 PM
Check out this article by Tommo, our Ultimate Specialist.
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,4514.0.html (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,4514.0.html)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on July 26, 2011, 06:19:50 PM
Jeez, ok...now I will have to buy you a beer when I am there. That is great, thanks Hermann.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on July 26, 2011, 06:22:20 PM
This is how we roll here on UA :hehe:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Kona on July 27, 2011, 01:38:06 PM
Hi SAfish
 
My folks live in Sedge's so I spend most holidays that side of the world. I am currently replacing the motors on my boat and was at Yamaha the other day and the sales guy said that 2 strokes will be banned within the next 18 months.
Do you have any details? Is this fact or fiction? I have a witblits that requires twin motors. The smallest Yamaha 4 stroke is a 40hp and my boat max is 2 x 25hp. Not to mention the fact that the 4 strokes are out of my price range.
So this does cause me a small problem and big concern.
 
Thanks
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on July 27, 2011, 01:58:09 PM
Sorry for the Hi-Jack....they are talking rubbish. The only place that roumoured this is in the Thesen Island canals, and even that was only a romour about 3 years ago. It's not going to happen. Can you imagine the number of boats that will be off the water and how much money Parks board and the likes will lose?? It will not (I may even say NEVER) going to happen. Remember that you get eco-friendly 2strokes. Mercury Optimax, Evinrude E-Tec etc. The dude either wants to sell you on a higher price to jack his turnover up or he's clue-less.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Kona on July 27, 2011, 02:04:19 PM
Thank you RobinF. Now the planning starts see you all on the Knysna Estuary soon
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on July 27, 2011, 02:18:37 PM
Kona,

If you ever want to put your mind at ease, call the parks board in Knysna and ask them.

Regards
Robin
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on July 27, 2011, 02:26:20 PM
Kona,

I called a guy that I know, that is in the know and knows what needs to be known. What? Anyway, I called a guy that knows all about this and he said exactly what I told you. Don't worry, the dude at Yamaha needs to wipe the Dollar signs out his eyes. Two strokes are here to stay.

Cheers
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Kona on July 27, 2011, 02:28:22 PM
Thanks once again. UA :geet rocks
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on July 27, 2011, 05:54:02 PM
I agree, it is total nonsense. Thesen Islands wanted to ban the use of two strokes and only allow eco-friendly 2's or 4 strokes but it never happened.
What do you guys think about having a Southern Cape social in December? We can fish in the morning and then have a braai in the afternoon. Who is planning to come down in December and would you be interested?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: PH on July 27, 2011, 05:58:50 PM
I agree, it is total nonsense. Thesen Islands wanted to ban the use of two strokes and only allow eco-friendly 2's or 4 strokes but it never happened.
What do you guys think about having a Southern Cape social in December? We can fish in the morning and then have a braai in the afternoon. Who is planning to come down in December and would you be interested?
We will most probably be in the area
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on July 27, 2011, 06:08:45 PM
Awesome!  :happ: :yipee:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: PH on July 27, 2011, 06:16:13 PM
It's a great idea.
 I also need to get that  :grk:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on July 27, 2011, 06:30:47 PM
I will try my bestest best to help get you one.  w;k
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: PH on July 27, 2011, 06:36:26 PM
I just may consider giving you a credit if you manage that.  :hehe:
As mentioned earlier I've tried Keurbooms/Bietou convergance, the old train bridge at Sedge, Nature's Valley, etc, etc. As well as above the White Bridge in Knysna.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on July 27, 2011, 06:41:21 PM
In that case I will have to get you one!  :hehe: :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Nellis on July 27, 2011, 10:58:05 PM
Who is planning to come down in December and would you be interested?

Ai Hermann, this "sucker for punishment" won't be there in Dec; I'll be there 5, 6, 7Aug though  :craz: . On one of those Lightley's barges  :rck" ... again
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on July 28, 2011, 07:06:29 AM
Nellis....don't have to warn you about the outgoing tide and sandbanks hey? In Jan this year I saw a guy in one of the Lightleys boats cut the corner at the back of St. James and went poof into the sand bank as the tide started going out :shk . The Lightleys dude was summonsed to come help the customer. They hitched up a towline  (clap) and tried to pull the boat off with his little speeder :cnfzd . After much smoke and fuel in the air, the line was detached and the client was left to enjoy about 6-8hrs of the sandbank.

Moral of the story...make a mistake in one of those and it can be a rather time consuming one! :nobs:

And don't even get me started about the German guy and his wife on the little Lighleys power boat the ran out of Fuel in the middle of a monster Westerly... duh . I still think that they are somewhere on the Lagoon trying to find their way back.

Regards
Robin
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Kona on July 28, 2011, 08:15:34 AM
I would love to join you guys. I have just started a new job so leave is limited but will be down from the 22Dec - 2Jan
If this falls in the date range you have in mind count me in.
 
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on July 28, 2011, 08:19:18 AM
Woah...just checked the Heads Web Cam...the water is flat flat flat and look goooood! :fshn:

Hey Hermann, don't be fooled...there is BIG rain here in CT again and we are sending it your way. :rain:

If you are going to throw a line, now is a good time....if you can get around the icey temp. You should have a good couple of days before this stuff ruins more of the Knysna Roads. :dunno:

Hey Kona, all the best with the new job!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: PH on July 28, 2011, 08:32:55 AM
Woah...just checked the Heads Web Cam...the water is flat flat flat and look goooood! :fshn:

Would you mind posting the link to the web cam please?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on July 28, 2011, 08:38:57 AM
Sure thing PH

http://www.theheads.co.za (http://www.theheads.co.za/)

Enjoy.

Regards
Robin


Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: PH on July 28, 2011, 08:40:41 AM
 :tkx:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on July 28, 2011, 06:58:17 PM
Ai Hermann, this "sucker for punishment" won't be there in Dec; I'll be there 5, 6, 7Aug though  :craz: . On one of those Lightley's barges  :rck" ... again
Nellis, you are a brave man.  :hehe: :resp: We had some bad weather and some awesome weather as well and I hope the weather gods smile on you this time!

I would love to join you guys. I have just started a new job so leave is limited but will be down from the 22Dec - 2Jan
If this falls in the date range you have in mind count me in.
Kona, we will only be able set a date once we know who will be here in December. I am looking forward to fish with you guys!  :fshn: :grk: :shd: 
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Nellis on July 29, 2011, 12:17:00 AM
Robin Bru,

please rest assured, I'm quite aware of the estuary's perils.  I've been on the lagoon/estuary (intermittendly though) since 1956. My Mother originates from that area as well as skoonma. The Lightley's option  just makes it is easier (not less frustration though) to drive from CPT to KNY than to tow a 20ft boat for 3 days down there and back... But on the other hand; if we get stuck on a sand bank then so be it. No rush; we're already there...  At least then Hermann will know where to find us  :happ: . And I'm sure he'll bring some  :beer: whilst trying to get us off the sandbank.

Edit: SAFish's comment about the "brave man" stems from me being able to choose the (continually for the past 3 years...) worst time, weather wise, for a stint in the estuary.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on July 29, 2011, 07:17:58 PM
At least then Hermann will know where to find us  :happ: . And I'm sure he'll bring some  :beer: whilst trying to get us off the sandbank.
For sure! I will make it so lekker you will want to stay stranded on the sandbank! The prediction so far shows a bit of rain on Friday but it will clear from the West with sunshine and light wind for Sat and Sunday. I am holding thumbs for you.  :-)  :yipee:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on January 13, 2012, 01:54:50 PM
Just a word of caution to anyone planning activities in or on the Knysna lagoon: Theft of a device leads to high bacterial count - http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news.aspx?id=19196&h=Theft-of-device-leads-to-bacteria- (http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news.aspx?id=19196&h=Theft-of-device-leads-to-bacteria-)

 :-( duh
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: jaenswart on January 13, 2012, 03:45:30 PM
thats is still 5 times less than the water we get up here. But thanks for the thumbs up. I am stoked about flying up in 2 days time
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on January 13, 2012, 03:57:27 PM
Maybe that is why I had an unusually thick layer of algae on my boat's hull after 10days. First time ever that I had to scrub like that to get it off.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on January 13, 2012, 05:55:18 PM
Jaen, you are going to have a great time. The weather is really good and the seawater is around 23 degrees.  :fshn: :grk:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on March 10, 2012, 08:49:35 PM
This afternoon I quickly went for a spinning session with Leervis / Garrick as the target species. The water looked good and the tide was pushing in. The area that I was fishing is a high water spot because the water is about ankle deep at low tide. I have caught a lot of Leeries here over the past years and the fish are normally on the small side. It is the perfect spot to try out new things because the young Leeries come past in schools of 3-6 fish.
I took Jaen Swart there when he was visiting and we had a lot of chases but could not manage to get a hookup. I promise I will come back for revenge but my life was a bit hectic the last couple of weeks.
I started of at my usual spot and made about 100 casts without a fish showing interest in my lures. I thought it is going to be one of those days where the conditions are perfect but the fish are absent.  :-(
I then decided to move about 50m to the right. I used a white plug with a red head and saw the tell tale swirl behind my plug on my third cast. My heart was racing, I have found the fish! I quickly made another cast and BAM, I am on!  :rck"
I will never get tired of the rush a take on the surface gives me, no matter how many times it happens. It was a small fish of about 30cm and it got fowl hooked in the body. Damn, I felt bad and released it as quick as possible. I switched to my new spoon that PH gave me and made a cast in the same area, three turns and on again. :yipee:
Pierre, your spoon is a winner, thanks again for a great gift.  :tkx: :win:
The action went on for about 30 minutes and I got chases on at least 95% of my casts. I tried different lures and techniques and everything in my arsenal got chased.
It is a long time since I had so much fun playing with these fish, trying to lure them into a strike. It was pure magic to see multiple fish chase me all the way into the shallows at my feet. In the end I had to go home and I left with heavy feet. I managed to get 7 fish but I am sure I would have gotten more if I did not experiment so much. Tonight I am going to go to sleep with a smile on my face, dreaming of my next session ...... I can't wait for tomorrow afternoon.  :hnthnt: :hnthnt: :fshn: :grk:

Sorry, I did not have time to take photos today, but will take some next time.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: John F on March 10, 2012, 10:41:05 PM
Well done Hermann!

Nothing like a great :fshn: session!!!!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: PH on March 11, 2012, 06:21:42 AM
Lekker session Hermann. I'm thrilled that the spoon works. Made my day  w;k
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 12, 2012, 10:03:02 AM
Nice  :happ: :happ:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Prego on March 12, 2012, 10:16:56 AM
 :envy Nothing like going for a quick through around the corner!  :cgrts:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on March 12, 2012, 10:21:13 AM
Thanks guys.

 :-( I didn't get to fish yesterday, the wind was howling and I was in no mood to be blown into the water. Maybe today after work.  :hnthnt: :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Prego on March 12, 2012, 10:41:12 AM
Thanks guys.

 :-( I didn't get to fish yesterday, the wind was howling and I was in no mood to be blown into the water. Maybe today after work.  :hnthnt: :hnthnt:


 (bat Lucky baas Ted!!  :hehe: :hehe: enjoy!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on March 12, 2012, 10:43:01 AM
 :tkx: I will let you know if I catch something.  :fshn: :grk:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on March 12, 2012, 07:44:25 PM
I went back again for another session and the fish did not let me down. They were there in full force and I managed to land three of the youngsters.  :yipee:
Once again they were chasing my lures cast for cast but I found it difficult to get a decent hook-up. Up to 4 fish were chasing my lure at a time and they were falling over each other to get to it. I think this made it difficult for them to zero in on the lure.
I got two on a white Onda-onda and one on a HMS spoon. Fritz, your spoons have a deadly action in the water and a slower retrieve produced the biggest fish today!  :resp:
My fishing came to an abrupt halt when some a-hole decided that it is a good idea to row straight across the spot where the fish were congregated.  swr <: Eish, the guy almost won himself a spoon against the head. After that I lost my cool and took my frustration out on my cast and it almost ended in tears.  :blush: I threw a big over wind and my line broke but I managed to retrieve my spoon. After that I decided it was home time for a cold one!  :beer:   
Like Arnie said in The Terminator: "I'll be back!".  :hehe:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: John F on March 12, 2012, 07:50:28 PM
Looks like you're in a roll Hermann! Well done! No pics?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on March 12, 2012, 07:59:50 PM
 :hehe: I feel so sorry for the little ones that I don't want to keep them out of the water too long. I took a photo with my phone and I will see if I can load it.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 13, 2012, 08:20:40 AM
A dead whale washed up on the rocks in front of the Buffalo Bay caravan park yesterday. Municipal Manager, Lauren Waring, issued a warning that people should stay out of the water because of the presence of sharks attracted by the carcass. I think there are going to be a lot of guys fishing for sharks this weekend.  :fshn: :brnz:

http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news.aspx?id=24688&h=Beached-whale-photos (http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news.aspx?id=24688&h=Beached-whale-photos)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: jaenswart on April 13, 2012, 08:24:40 AM
A dead whale washed up on the rocks in front of the Buffalo Bay caravan park yesterday. Municipal Manager, Lauren Waring, issued a warning that people should stay out of the water because of the presence of sharks attracted by the carcass. I think there are going to be a lot of guys fishing for sharks this weekend.  :fshn: :brnz:

http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news.aspx?id=24688&h=Beached-whale-photos (http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news.aspx?id=24688&h=Beached-whale-photos)

nou maak jy my lus vir vis...wonder of ek 'n vlug kan kry vir vanmiddag :-) Jy het mos 'n spaarkamer of tv bank lol
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 13, 2012, 08:33:04 AM
 :hyst: Jy is altyd welkom, maar as jy na die fotos gekyk het sal jy nie meer vreeslik honger wees nie.  :puke:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: jaenswart on April 13, 2012, 09:45:03 AM
:hyst: Jy is altyd welkom, maar as jy na die fotos gekyk het sal jy nie meer vreeslik honger wees nie.  :puke:

ek he net 1 ding op my brain...daai leervis in die lagoon en by sedge field. Next time most ons 'n boot he dan down ons fit ordentlik
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 13, 2012, 09:48:22 AM
This weeks front page of the local paper (Knysna Plett Herald) also sported a photo of a mini sardine run at Plettenberg Bay on the 3 April. It looks like the sardines have started their migration to the KZN coast.  :hnthnt: :hnthnt:

:hyst: Jy is altyd welkom, maar as jy na die fotos gekyk het sal jy nie meer vreeslik honger wees nie.  :puke:

ek he net 1 ding op my brain...daai leervis in die lagoon en by sedge field. Next time most ons 'n boot he dan down ons fit ordentlik
My skuitjie sal reg wees as jy weer kom. Die klein Leeries is dik op die oomblik.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: jaenswart on April 13, 2012, 09:59:20 AM
This weeks front page of the local paper (Knysna Plett Herald) also sported a photo of a mini sardine run at Plettenberg Bay on the 3 April. It looks like the sardines have started their migration to the KZN coast.  :hnthnt: :hnthnt:

:hyst: Jy is altyd welkom, maar as jy na die fotos gekyk het sal jy nie meer vreeslik honger wees nie.  :puke:

ek he net 1 ding op my brain...daai leervis in die lagoon en by sedge field. Next time most ons 'n boot he dan down ons fit ordentlik
My skuitjie sal reg wees as jy weer kom. Die klein Leeries is dik op die oomblik.

ek het mamma convince om next time in Knysna self the bly, so dn gn ons leaker fish. Ek sine al hit lol
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 13, 2012, 10:08:29 AM
Dit sal lekker wees, ek sit sommer self verlof in vir daardie tyd.  :hehe:
 :fshn: :fshn: :fshn: :fshn: :fshn: :fshn:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on November 14, 2012, 11:43:53 AM
There have been a lot of discussions going on about the pollution of the Knysna lagoon. It finally looks like something will be done. At this stage I would not eat anything coming out of the lagoon.  :puke:

"Following a detailed report in response to consistently high counts of E. Coli entering the Knysna Estuary, the Knysna Municipal Section 80 Committee for Planning Development and Infrastructure recommended that its council commits in principle to allocate at least R38,3-million over the next five years towards the permanent reduction of pollution into one of its most important natural resources, the Knysna Lagoon."

http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news.aspx?id=39601&h=R38,3-million-for-Knysna-Estuary (http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news.aspx?id=39601&h=R38,3-million-for-Knysna-Estuary)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on December 10, 2012, 09:41:07 AM
Hey Hermann,

Traditionally, is the fishing good in April? It will be the first time that we come there in April. Normally we do the Dec and June thing, but I decided to come through in April. Last Dec the Lagoon was so busy. This year I saw that the Gauteng schools go back a week before the Cape, so we will stop by in the last week or so of the holidays. But what about April?

Regards
Robin
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Psy on February 28, 2013, 01:40:25 PM
There have been a lot of discussions going on about the pollution of the Knysna lagoon. It finally looks like something will be done. At this stage I would not eat anything coming out of the lagoon.  :puke:

"Following a detailed report in response to consistently high counts of E. Coli entering the Knysna Estuary, the Knysna Municipal Section 80 Committee for Planning Development and Infrastructure recommended that its council commits in principle to allocate at least R38,3-million over the next five years towards the permanent reduction of pollution into one of its most important natural resources, the Knysna Lagoon."

http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news.aspx?id=39601&h=R38,3-million-for-Knysna-Estuary (http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news.aspx?id=39601&h=R38,3-million-for-Knysna-Estuary)


Nee wat, the water isnt even safe to swim in.
Possibly a reason the fish are so shy on our coast?
 :craz:
When I spoke with a gentleman working at the 'shut-down' desalination plant in Sedgefield, I asked him what are you Ou's pumping into the sea at Myoli Beach... (the pipe had washed up due to stormy seas)....he said to me thats called 'Heavy Brine' ...'and what does it do' I asked.....he said...'it lies there..it doesnt go away...it coats the rocks/reefs/sand/shellfish/old anchors'...alles thats down there...in fact he said, 'it chokes the life out of the sea bottom'.


Go do the math chaps...the Garden Route hasnt got alot of Garden left!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on February 28, 2013, 03:02:25 PM
Psy, I agree with you. Look how quickly they got approval to put the desalination plant next to the lagoon in Knysna. All that brine is pumped into the lagoon where it will wash up and down with the tide.  duh
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 27, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
Check out this beauty. 77ft at an estimated cost of R50 000 000!  :shk

http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news.aspx?id=51505&h=Huge-catamaran-almost-ready-for-launch (http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news.aspx?id=51505&h=Huge-catamaran-almost-ready-for-launch)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Charles on April 27, 2013, 09:33:11 AM
Would love to see it! Huge and expensive though.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on April 27, 2013, 10:31:10 AM
50Mil today, 75Mil in 7yrs time and worth 100Mil in 15yrs. Good investment. :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 27, 2013, 11:14:30 AM
It is impressive!!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on April 27, 2013, 01:08:16 PM
Hermann, are they going to launch that into the Ashmead? If so, I expect there may be a lot of  swr <: :nuts:   then  :cry: and then sry
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 27, 2013, 01:14:17 PM
Yes, they are waiting for this afternoon's high tide. A friend of mine is involved in the launch and he is confident they can pull it off. The other slipways are too narrow and they can't take that big lady through town. 
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on April 27, 2013, 01:21:11 PM
Any other time and I would say no way, but the timing is right (Spring High). Good luck, please let us know how it goes, get some photos if you can. (I also hope they get it in the water before the tide recedes too much.)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 27, 2013, 01:23:20 PM
I am just worried that she is too wide for the channel as it is very narrow in places.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on April 27, 2013, 01:43:28 PM
At spring high, they will make it. But if they miss the 2-3hr window, they could have a problem. I know that channel like the back of my hand, if they can launch from that site, they should be fine. It's the launch site that concerns me! (The channel is very narrow, you are 100% correct, but I think they know that there is no way that they will be able to navigate just within the channel.)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 27, 2013, 01:45:56 PM
She is so big I will be able to anchor between the hulls and fish in the shade.  :lolo: :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on April 27, 2013, 02:55:32 PM
 :hyst:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Nellis on May 14, 2013, 04:47:03 PM
She is so big I will be able to anchor between the hulls and fish in the shade.  :lolo: :hnthnt:

No joke!

(http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz111/Nellis_T/Cat_F_zpsf63b9834.jpg) (http://s819.photobucket.com/user/Nellis_T/media/Cat_F_zpsf63b9834.jpg.html)

(http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz111/Nellis_T/Cat_D_zps007f0e80.jpg) (http://s819.photobucket.com/user/Nellis_T/media/Cat_D_zps007f0e80.jpg.html)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: John F on May 14, 2013, 06:27:17 PM
Is this a floating/mobile restaurant or something?

One could easily get lost in there!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: PH on May 14, 2013, 06:51:06 PM
Is this a floating/mobile restaurant or something?

One could easily get lost in there!
Looks like a hotel.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on May 15, 2013, 11:35:33 AM
Look at the shape of her bows from the side, is this no a bit unusual for it to slope that way? It is almost as if they are upside down? What would be the reason for this?  :dunno:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Toppie on May 15, 2013, 11:52:22 AM
That's a new direction for design of ocean going vessels SAfish, large ships are also beginning to take that form. Must be a good reason as I see some ocean going sailing yachts also with that design bow.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Nellis on May 15, 2013, 04:01:33 PM
Look at the shape of her bows from the side, is this no a bit unusual for it to slope that way? It is almost as if they are upside down? What would be the reason for this?  :dunno:

Some detail:

(http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz111/Nellis_T/Boating/Cat_bow_zps0249e3e6.jpg) (http://s819.photobucket.com/user/Nellis_T/media/Boating/Cat_bow_zps0249e3e6.jpg.html)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Toppie on May 15, 2013, 04:40:07 PM
So did she safely make it through the Heads?
 
Any photo's?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Nellis on May 15, 2013, 04:55:23 PM
So did she safely make it through the Heads?
 
Any photo's?

She is still under construction. The building team is ferried everyday to finish it.

(http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz111/Nellis_T/Boating/UC_zps1e898304.jpg) (http://s819.photobucket.com/user/Nellis_T/media/Boating/UC_zps1e898304.jpg.html)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Toppie on May 15, 2013, 04:58:12 PM
Thanks Nellis, when is she due to leave Knysna?
 
Sure is a beautiful boat !
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Nellis on May 16, 2013, 01:30:28 PM
Thanks Nellis, when is she due to leave Knysna?
 
Sure is a beautiful boat !

'no idea when she'll be ready Clive. Maybe Hermann will know. We were on one of the house boats for 3 days last week. The Wife couldn't resist to take pics every time we passed it... ( :envy I think)

 

(http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz111/Nellis_T/Boating/BB_zps04a9b166.jpg) (http://s819.photobucket.com/user/Nellis_T/media/Boating/BB_zps04a9b166.jpg.html)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: John F on May 16, 2013, 02:15:24 PM
Looks like some evil contraption from a James Bond movie :hehe:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on May 16, 2013, 02:21:40 PM
I will try and find out when they are going to do her sea trails. They are still busy fitting her out and as far as I know she has not been sold yet. Anyone have R50 bar lying around?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Charles on May 16, 2013, 02:49:49 PM
I will try and find out when they are going to do her sea trails. They are still busy fitting her out and as far as I know she has not been sold yet. Anyone have R50 bar lying around?
:hehe:  No problem!! They want 20 or 50 denomination Randela Notes!?!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on May 16, 2013, 03:16:27 PM
 :hehe: as long as I can be your 1st mate.  :spinwheel:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on November 26, 2013, 08:17:28 AM
Fir those of you that are visiting Knysna and planning to use watercraft here is the latest permit tariffs. As far as I know the permit is valid for the Knysna lagoon as well as Swartvlei at Sedgefield.  :tite
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on November 26, 2013, 02:12:47 PM
 :+ cred: Hermann. Thank you. (Parks board is always my first stop....always tell them what a great job they do, gets them motivated, then I always seem to be the first one they inspect on the water.  :hnthnt: )
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: briansflyfishing on December 01, 2013, 09:14:39 AM
I didn't get the chance to post an outlook for this weekend so I thought I'll share with you this photo I took on Wednesday morning.


That is a great photo of thee estuary mate.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on December 05, 2013, 08:55:11 PM
Thank you, I took that photo from the balcony of the house we previously stayed in. I miss that view everyday.  :cry:
I have not fished in a while, how is the fishing your side?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: briansflyfishing on December 06, 2013, 06:46:04 AM
There's a lot of Garrick in the lagoon at the moment. Got a few over the last few weeks.
Expecting the Kob to be coming into the lagoon.
Also heard that there were a few Skip jack caught this week.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on December 06, 2013, 12:15:40 PM
 (clap) Great stuff! Would you mind posting updates on this thread every now and then?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: briansflyfishing on December 09, 2013, 07:26:43 AM
For sure.
Hopefully some updates will start soon. :sreel:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Kona on January 10, 2014, 12:11:13 PM
Dont know if this is even possible but it was posted on facebook today by fishing-sa
What do you guys think
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: L Hooker on January 10, 2014, 12:17:16 PM
Dont know if this is even possible but it was posted on facebook today by fishing-sa
What do you guys think
Damn thats insane! Anything is possible however if its true must be a fish that got lost or chased some baitfish into the heads????? WOW
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on January 10, 2014, 12:47:40 PM
I know that spot where he is. It is a popular spot for Cob and Garrick. And it is quite a way up stream, not near the mouth at all. I always say that because the Knysna mouth is so deep, you can get just about anything coming in there.

I don't doubt the photo. I think I know the guy, if it is the guy that I am thinking of, yes, he caught that there. Based on his lure and the spot where he was fishing, he was aiming at Cob, I would guess?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: briansflyfishing on January 10, 2014, 12:57:06 PM
I believe it is. I messaged Chad and he is a guide in Australia with Nomads and he does not need to lie for credit when it comes to fishing.
A reason for this was also given, and goes as follows.
"From previous experiences at this time of year Brian , the alternating winds from SE to W to SW have a cool influence on th swarmer water as it is brought closer inshore. the day before this fish was caught , the water dropped a huber of degrees offshore and forced the warm water close inshore. This is one reason this guy was in the lagoon. Trying to stay warm for the want of a better phrase. Between now and Feb we have a great chance of "game fish' being close inshore and accessible . Read the book strike about the old days and you will be amazed at what was caught along this coast. Mosselbay was our Billfish capital ! I am def going a searching after this front has passed and gonna look for some blue water"

So it very possible that predatary fish like the Dorado would enter the lagoon
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on January 10, 2014, 01:02:15 PM
Admin, can you help Brian with his link or pic, we can't see it?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: dugong on January 10, 2014, 01:12:09 PM
I would never had thought so but anythings possible, what I do doubt is that that is 18kgs!!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: briansflyfishing on January 10, 2014, 01:13:57 PM

[size=78%]I re typed it as it was explained to me and it makes sense.[/size]

[size=78%]"Due to SE to W to SW winds it has a cooling affect on the warmer waters as it is brought inshore the day before the catch of the Dorado in the lagoon. Water temp dropped a hell of a lot and forced the warmer water inshore. And thus game fish would follow that warm water, even into the lagoon.[/size]
According to the book strike many moons ago many a game fish was caught form the rocks around Mosselbay and surrounds."
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on January 10, 2014, 01:16:37 PM
In 750m distance, I have seen the water temp on the lagoon go from 24 to 13 degrees C.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Kona on January 10, 2014, 01:28:01 PM
WOW with the cold water did not think this was possible. Was not saying it was a lie just now days with photoshop you never know if its a hoax or not thats why I posed the question.
I was in Knysna this past holiday and if I landed a  :dor: I think I would have thought I was going crazy
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Prego on January 10, 2014, 01:38:49 PM
Yeah definitely possible, things are changing out there for sure. Last year Feb the guys were getting dorado and Marlin off Cape Point and a few Marlin have been spotted already.

 :cnfzd
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: briansflyfishing on January 10, 2014, 01:43:43 PM
WOW with the cold water did not think this was possible. Was not saying it was a lie just now days with photoshop you never know if its a hoax or not thats why I posed the question.
I was in Knysna this past holiday and if I landed a  :dor: I think I would have thought I was going crazy


Me too, photoshop was the first thing that came to mind and a lot of people here in Knysna has a hard time believing it. But it is good news for me that this is possible. Also a few Bonito was caught of Featherbed in the lagoon as well.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on January 10, 2014, 01:49:13 PM
WOW with the cold water did not think this was possible. Was not saying it was a lie just now days with photoshop you never know if its a hoax or not thats why I posed the question.
I was in Knysna this past holiday and if I landed a  :dor: I think I would have thought I was going crazy


Me too, photoshop was the first thing that came to mind and a lot of people here in Knysna has a hard time believing it. But it is good news for me that this is possible. Also a few Bonito was caught of Featherbed in the lagoon as well.

The water off Featherbed is deep and the currents can be very strong in that area, I'm not surprised that they caught Bonito.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: dugong on January 10, 2014, 02:12:21 PM
What bonito?? Kawakawa often enter estuary systems, I have caught them in Durban bay and Inhambane Bay far up, I have also caught a number of couta in Inhambane bay and have seen a sailfish that was netted there in the mouth. My wife also caught a dollie at backline while fishing for snoek, but that oke must have been lost and confused - very fine catch though :rck"

Any other pics to show the true size?? IMO its not 18kgs.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on January 10, 2014, 05:15:42 PM
And here I go to Struisbaai to catch some decent fish and as soon as I turn my back the action starts!  duh :hehe:
Guys, this is true, a very good and trustworthy friend of mine told me about this catch.  :envy
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: REEFMAN on January 10, 2014, 05:29:15 PM
Any news of the approaching Red Tide?

SANPARKS put out a warning of a Red Tide approaching the Eastern   Cape/Knysna area and were warning people not to eat any shellfish or   inertebrates for the next few weeks?

http://www.iol.co.za/scitech/science/environment/sanparks-warns-of-red-tide-danger-1.1629456 (http://www.iol.co.za/scitech/science/environment/sanparks-warns-of-red-tide-danger-1.1629456)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on January 12, 2014, 03:24:30 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Reefman. We only arrived back home last night and I will try and get more information. At the moment the lagoon and entire coastal waters are brown from all the rain we had last week. Maybe the flood waters flushed the red tide out?  :dunno:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Gregf on January 12, 2014, 04:49:47 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Reefman. We only arrived back home last night and I will try and get more information. At the moment the lagoon and entire coastal waters are brown from all the rain we had last week. Maybe the flood waters flushed the red tide out?  :dunno:

It could feed it, flood water often carries a lot of nutrients especially a flash flood  :dunno: let us hope not, such a stunning area
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on January 15, 2014, 01:55:12 PM
Update on the red tide: "Subsequent to last week's warning of red tide in Knysna, additional water samples collected from three areas in the Knysna estuary over the weekend indicated that the bloom has degraded significantly. . . . "

http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news.aspx?id=68634&h=Update:-Red-tide-in-Knysna (http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news.aspx?id=68634&h=Update:-Red-tide-in-Knysna)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Gregf on January 15, 2014, 02:11:50 PM
Good news indeed
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on January 15, 2014, 02:21:06 PM
Good news indeed
Yes, but I will still wait a bit before eating anything that comes out of the lagoon. In the meantime I will practice catching them.  :fshn: :grk:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Sidd on January 15, 2014, 02:24:22 PM
Hermann - you should have stayed home.. duh
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on January 15, 2014, 02:29:38 PM
Hermann - you should have stayed home.. duh
:hehe: Tell me about it! The weather looks good for a spinning session this weekend so I will have to get a session or two in before Sunday. I am off to Mozambique for a week. Unfortunately the trip is work related but lets call it a scouting mission for future fishing trips.  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: briansflyfishing on January 21, 2014, 08:20:11 AM
Water seems to be back to normal. And from the report I got fishing was not that great for the leeries. I hope they will come back on the bite as I tried on a few occasions without even seeing a fish never mind a chase or a strike. :grk:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Kona on January 21, 2014, 09:50:47 AM
                        Knysna red tide warning2014-01-20 16:45                                                  (http://cdn.24.co.za/files/Cms/General/d/2355/59863f7bade34e1c959792eafc0410af.jpg)     
Multimedia (http://www.news24.com/Multimedia)   ·   User   Galleries (http://www.news24.com/Multimedia/MyNews24)   ·   News in Pictures (http://www.news24.com/Multimedia/Category-Images)   Send us your pictures (http://uploads.news24.com/?iframe)  ·  Send us your stories (http://www.news24.com/FeedBack.aspx?iframe)               Related Links                     kalahari.com (http://etrader.kalahari.net/referral.asp?linkid=1869&partnerid=9113)            Cape Town - Further warning of a so-called red tide in the Knysna estuary on   the Cape south coast was issued by SA National Parks on Monday.
"Authorities - including SANParks, Knysna Municipality and the Knysna Basin   Project - are cautioning against the collection of shellfish from the Knysna   estuary until further notice," it said in a statement.
A red tide is the common name for an algal bloom involving large   concentrations of red or brown coloured micro-organisms. These can become   concentrated in filter feeders such as mussels and oysters, making them   poisonous to humans.
Other types of shellfish, including abalone, are also affected.
SANParks said possible evidence of a red tide was seen from the Knysna Heads   on Sunday afternoon.
The warning follows a similar one issued for the area two weeks ago.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Kona on January 21, 2014, 09:53:05 AM
Sorry about the rest of the ### post should read as follows
   
[font=]Cape Town - Further warning of a so-called red tide in the Knysna  estuary on the Cape south coast was issued by SA National Parks on Monday. [/font]
[font=]"Authorities - including SANParks, Knysna Municipality and  the Knysna Basin Project - are cautioning against the collection of shellfish  from the Knysna estuary until further notice," it said in a statement.[/font]
[font=]A red tide is the common name for an algal bloom involving large  concentrations of red or brown coloured micro-organisms. These can become  concentrated in filter feeders such as mussels and oysters, making them  poisonous to humans.[/font]
[font=]Other types of shellfish, including abalone, are also affected.[/font]
[font=]SANParks said possible evidence of a red tide was seen from the  Knysna Heads on Sunday afternoon.[/font]
[font=]The warning follows a similar one issued for the area two weeks  ago.[/font]
   
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on January 21, 2014, 10:03:48 AM
 :tkx: Kona
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on July 25, 2014, 12:21:14 PM
I received some interesting news from the boat club.
A Garrick was caught in June and it was tagged 7 months earlier. During that time the fish gained 12cm in length and 2.61kg.  :win:
The max water temperature in the summer was 28 degrees but it came down now to only 8 degrees.  :shk
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on August 16, 2014, 04:00:48 PM
It is a beautiful day here and I decided to go for a spinning session to see if the Leeries are hungry. The water was a bit on the cold side but otherwise perfect. Just look at this spot and it is less than 5 minutes walk from my house.  w;k
Although I saw a nice sized fish swim I did not catch anything but it was still great to go out and enjoy the moment. We truly Blessed to call this awesome place home.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Charles on August 16, 2014, 04:25:04 PM
 :-( Homesick!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on August 16, 2014, 05:02:51 PM
Nice Hermann!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: John F on August 16, 2014, 05:24:23 PM
Eish splendid Hermann!

We've had rain and dark sky all day!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on August 16, 2014, 06:05:54 PM
Thanks guys.

JohnF, it seems like Spring is on its way but I am sure we will have a couple of stormy days before it finally sets in.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: jfrique2 on September 04, 2014, 09:07:31 AM
Hi All


Im new here... This is a great thread.


Any recent news on the lagoon, water temp, fish coming out ect. my parents stay in knysna and i will be there for a week at the end month.
Im originally from EC so i dont know that end of the world, i will have access to a boat. Any advice?


I will also taking a chance as i know its a bit early and going to slide for some shark.


Thanks in advance.


Cheers
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on September 04, 2014, 09:11:26 AM
 :welc: I am sure you are going to enjoy your stay with us.

There are some fish coming out in the lagoon. I heard reports of big Leeries but have not managed to get one myself. I will try again this weekend and will report back if I get anything. The water at the moment is very clear and on the cold side (16 degrees) but this weeks warm weather should make it pick up a bit.  :tite
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on September 04, 2014, 09:15:37 AM
 :welc:

Do a search, you'll find SAFish has posted a lot of great advice on spots, plus he was kind enough to include some maps. So if you have a boat, you should be on your way.

If you really blank out, then go talk to Peter at Breezers Fishing. He will help you a lot. There is another fishing store in Knysna, but they will give you sommer K*k advice  :cnfzd .

I'll be there soon too....um Hermann.....need a ride???
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on September 04, 2014, 09:18:11 AM
Robin, I am always keen to get on the water!!  :yipee:

How is this view of the water this morning. Photo cred to my wife.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: jfrique2 on September 04, 2014, 09:20:21 AM
Nice...


Thanks bud, Imsure in another 3 weeks the temp should pick up a few deg. and it sounds promising on the sharks as i heard the bronzies start moving into plett when the water temp gets to about 16deg.


Please give us an update if you do go out before the 28th ill keep an eye on the thread.


Cheers...
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on September 04, 2014, 09:21:15 AM
Robin, I am always keen to get on the water!!  :yipee:

PM-ed you. We'll make a plan. (we are going to catch, there is no doubt about it.)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on September 04, 2014, 09:25:23 AM
Thanks Robin, I am looking forward to meet you guys.  :fshn: :grk:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on September 04, 2014, 09:39:55 AM
Hermann, is that pic taken from St James?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on September 04, 2014, 09:59:38 AM
No, Leisure Isle next to the boat club. We are truly blessed to live in such a beautiful area.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: jfrique2 on September 15, 2014, 12:13:54 PM
Hi Guys...


Any updated news on the estuary? conditions, water temp, fish coming out?


Ill be there in 10 days.


Thanks for the replies
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on September 15, 2014, 12:23:23 PM
Sorry, I will try and check the water temperature for you this afternoon. I had a hectic weekend with family visiting and the SA cross country champs. I will also chat to some guys and will report back.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: jfrique2 on September 15, 2014, 12:35:57 PM
thanks alot  bud... Please also ask if the bronzies have moved in yet...


Thank you
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on September 15, 2014, 12:37:09 PM
Will do.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on September 25, 2014, 12:31:27 PM
Something I did not expect, an Eland in the Knysna forest!  :shk Apparently it was moved from a game farm to a place in Keurbooms and when they offloaded the animals this one jumped the fence. It is now happily living a solitary live in the forest. Luckily the forest falls under the Garden Route National Park and he is now the property of SANparks.
 
https://www.facebook.com/pages/DEEP-WALLS-The-HEART-of-the-Knysna-Forest/1401389636783663 (https://www.facebook.com/pages/DEEP-WALLS-The-HEART-of-the-Knysna-Forest/1401389636783663)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on September 25, 2014, 12:56:26 PM
 :Like: :Like:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on October 01, 2014, 07:57:53 AM
After almost a week of overcast conditions and rainy weather it looks like it is finally clearing up. This weekend looks promising and the weather prediction for Sunday is light SE winds and temperatures around 27 degrees. I am finally going to meet up with RobinF and family for some serious fishing and can't wait to get on the water again.
I am in bed with flu but should be ready for Sunday. At least it gives me time to check all my tackle and service my reels.  :yipee:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on October 01, 2014, 01:41:18 PM
And rain on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Oh well, never stopped us before....

Don't worry Hermann, you'll be better by Sunday, if not, too bad, we'll drag you out of bed. Temp for Sunday is about 18-24, so if the water is not ice cold, we should be ok for some solid action. I cannot remember the last time we blank out there. We always catch.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on October 01, 2014, 01:46:20 PM
Cool, I will check on the water temperature when I can and will let you know. I saw a photo on FB of a guy that caught a 100cm Leerie. I don't think it was released.  :-(
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on October 01, 2014, 02:03:33 PM
Cool, I will check on the water temperature when I can and will let you know. I saw a photo on FB of a guy that caught a 100cm Leerie. I don't think it was released.  :-(

Unless the fish died in the fight, some okes just don't get it. It's only when the fish becomes a no catch that they 'click'. Less trying to make up for the small manhood, rather more conservation I always say. Don't worry about checking the water temp. We are well equipped, we will find warmer water if it's cold. Besides, from Leisure Isle, we can be up past the white bridge in 10 minutes if need be. Oddly enough Connor has caught some of his best fish in colder water.

For what it's worth, I think a lot of the locals release their fish. (Trying to preserve what little is left.) Every bit helps. It's that old saying about a tiny droplet making ripples over great distances.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on October 01, 2014, 02:16:47 PM
I agree, there is definitely a rise in conservation consciousness among people these days. However small, it is a start.   
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on October 04, 2014, 09:11:39 PM
I can't wait for tomorrow morning. I am meeting up with RobinF and Master Connor for a day of fishing on the lagoon. The weather looks great and we should see some action. Grunters and Leeries, here we come!  :yipee: :fshn: :grk:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Charles on October 05, 2014, 10:25:30 AM
Have fun guys!  :fshn: Looking forward to a lekker report.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on October 06, 2014, 04:09:40 PM
 :vio

Why are we waiting for this report.

Come come. You have a duty towards us gautengers!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Lofty on October 06, 2014, 04:26:33 PM
perhaps they blanked... :dunno: :creep: water was very cold this side too...lots of blue bottles washed out...
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on October 07, 2014, 07:28:10 AM
It was a lovely day out on the water but the fish were not playing along. We saw one guy with a decent Steenbras and Connor outshined the adults again as he got the only fish for the day. I had a great time with RobinF and his family. They went out of their way to make it a great day. They are still on holiday and have caught fish yesterday but I will leave it to him to post the report.  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on October 07, 2014, 08:38:13 AM
Thanks Herman

What did Connor catch?

I am at Point Lodge ion December for 3 days is there any fishing off the Jetty at the point.

Stywe Lynne!

Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on October 07, 2014, 09:02:31 AM
Hannes, he got a young Leerie on a Rapala. I used to fish a lot in front of the the point lodge but the main channel runs fairly close to the side and boats can be a problem. If you walk further to the South along the bank you will find quieter water and I have caught a lot of Leeries there. I got this 5.9kg one on a plug there a couple of years ago.  :hnthnt:

Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on October 07, 2014, 01:55:24 PM
Will post pics soon, yesterday Connor hooked two Garricks throwing a plug off the bow of the boat near Belvidere, they were both around 46-48cm. We moved off when the other boats were so impressed that they decided to park on top of us. Then they followed us to our next spot, so we went home. Later that evening Kim (my wife) caught a 3Kg Grunter near the train bridge off the mud flats. Epic fight, big fish. It was almost dark. We actually pulled up on the bank to release the fish well. It swam away so well that it almost ran me over! When we released it, it was dark. We are in PE today, but will be back out there tomorrow. The Garricks are getting bigger, I don't think Connor is done yet, so I am sure that we will have lots of pics to post soon. We are trying to get some consistency so that we can improve the hit rate. Water was 23 degrees last night (on the surface). Will post soon guys and pics to follow.   
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on October 08, 2014, 09:55:56 AM
Connor's Garricks

(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01086_zpsa0ed8d8f.jpg)

(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01089_zpsa80941d2.jpg)

Released!
(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01091_zps510299c2.jpg)

(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01109_zps6d3497b8.jpg)

(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01135_zps41ce021e.jpg)

Action shots!
(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01129_zps10fcf4f9.jpg)

(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01128_zps2bd2a952.jpg)



(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01131_zps816a4b71.jpg)

Take note of the boat in the background now heading in our direction after Connor landed this second Garrick in 20min.
(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01144_zps109108fa.jpg)

Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on October 08, 2014, 09:57:34 AM
Kim's 3Kg Grunter (Mud prawn, 2-O circle hook) - RELEASED!

(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01162_zpsde89a7ca.jpg)

Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on October 08, 2014, 10:00:26 AM
This is why he catches so much, he is not afraid to ask me to drop him off and he will walk the entire bank with the fish as they move along.

(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01116_zps49550f99.jpg)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on October 08, 2014, 10:00:44 AM
More to follow!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on October 08, 2014, 10:14:28 AM
 (clap) Well done, Connor and Kim. That Grunter was fat! The weather does not look too great but I am sure it is not going to keep you guys off the water. I hope to see you on Friday and will let you know if I can make it.  :fshn:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on October 08, 2014, 10:18:42 AM
We are going out shortly, rain never stopped us before.

Hermann, if you do make it, only bring your rod for throwing plugs and lures. I have rigged a 2500 light rig for you for Grunter already that you should use. Must be super light if we are going to get you on them.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on October 08, 2014, 10:37:51 AM
Great thanks. Should I bring something heavier for the night fishing?  :stray:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: L Hooker on October 08, 2014, 10:46:13 AM
Well done  (clap) some great catches.. I am coming down to Knysna in December staying at Brenton on Lake its been 7yrs since I moved from the Garden Route so looking forward to it! Watching this thread with great interest, keep the pics coming :-)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Charles on October 08, 2014, 10:49:35 AM
Some great photos and a lekker report. Congrats to Connor and Kim with the great catches. Well done.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on October 08, 2014, 11:11:59 AM
Well done  (clap) some great catches.. I am coming down to Knysna in December staying at Brenton on Lake its been 7yrs since I moved from the Garden Route so looking forward to it! Watching this thread with great interest, keep the pics coming :-)
Let us know when you are here, maybe we can meet up for fishing session or a  :beer:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on October 09, 2014, 12:06:29 PM
First time that I have had to pull anchor and chase a fish. On 2500 gear, it was stripping line like it was not even there. I pulled anchor, Connor drove and Kim reeled...a lot back in. The fish had the spring tide helping it along, once we got on top the fish, the fight became manageable. 68Cm White Steenbras. Mud prawn, 2-O circle hook. 10lb Braid. A very big thanks to Connor for demanding that we move from my spot to one he guaranteed would produce. Al I do is drive the boat... duh .

And yes...it was very well RELEASED!

(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/Kim2_zpsa977f0b6.png)


 
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: REEFMAN on October 09, 2014, 12:31:54 PM
Wow! Great fish Robin... you guys are on fire!
 (clap)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: John F on October 09, 2014, 12:40:26 PM
Champs for sure!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Charles on October 09, 2014, 12:44:14 PM
 :resp: Nice fish! Well done.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Half-Pint on October 09, 2014, 01:01:00 PM
Awesome fish and on such light tackle too!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on October 09, 2014, 01:25:27 PM
 :happ: Great Steenbras,well done Kim.

Guys, it is such a pleasure to fish with Robin and his family. They are so organised and everyone knows exactly what to do when they get a fish. Once the fish is on board it takes only a couple of seconds to get the hook out, fish measured, quick photo and a safe release. They work together like a well oiled machine.
Also something worth mentioning is the effort they put in to clean the lagoon of rubbish. Robin will not drive past a plastic bag or bottle floating in the water, all rubbish gets picked up. HUGE  :resp:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on October 09, 2014, 11:45:57 PM
Fantastic river fishing!

That steenie is great!

I have only caught 1 5kg steenbras in all my years fishing the Lagoon. Picked it up close to thetrain bridge and thought I hooked the train.

Well done that is a fish!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on October 10, 2014, 04:39:12 AM
Thanks for the great comments guys, it's 04h35 and we are about to go again and see what is where. The wind has been a major problem, but all in all so far so good.

Hermann, I will sms you later about tonight, but it looks like the wind will be pumping. Failing that, tomorrow morning? Think you can make that?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on October 10, 2014, 07:48:05 AM
Thanks Robin. Yes we will have to see because there are a couple of things that came up at work. I am off to Durban to inspect a factory.  :-(
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: L Hooker on October 10, 2014, 08:24:22 AM
Well done  (clap) some great catches.. I am coming down to Knysna in December staying at Brenton on Lake its been 7yrs since I moved from the Garden Route so looking forward to it! Watching this thread with great interest, keep the pics coming :-)
Let us know when you are here, maybe we can meet up for fishing session or a  :beer:
Definitely Will do!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on October 10, 2014, 08:59:33 AM
Hooker

When are you there?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: L Hooker on October 10, 2014, 09:06:49 AM
Hooker

When are you there?
From the15th Dec to around the 3rd Jan
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on October 10, 2014, 09:20:30 AM
Mmm, I see a mini  :ult: social on the horizon. We should all get together, either for a fishing session or a beer or a braai.  :hnthnt:
or all the above.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: L Hooker on October 10, 2014, 09:30:09 AM
Mmm, I see a mini  :ult: social on the horizon. We should all get together, either for a fishing session or a beer or a braai.  :hnthnt:
or all the above.
:-) yebo yes
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on October 10, 2014, 10:52:44 AM
Nothing much this morning other than a few smalls. Will go again this afternoon and tomorrow morning. Will update then.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: arnoldstrachan on October 11, 2014, 11:59:21 AM
Good Afternoon everyone, I am not new to this forum in the sense that I have spent hours reading posts but I have never posted anything due to the fact that I have many more questions than answers!


My parents just recently moved to Knysna but I have been fishing there all my life. I look forward to posting pics and reports regularly as I come up to Knysna on a three week basis. I will be there from the 15th until the 19th October and will hopefully get some fishing in, between the skiing etc.


can anyone update me on the water temperature in the lagoon at the moment pls? We will probably go look for some bottom fish off natures valley on Saturday and I will post pics of any fish we catch. I look forward to hearing from you :tkx: :fshn:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on October 11, 2014, 12:05:09 PM
 :welc: Arnold. I am glad you decided to post and I am looking forward to your reports. RobinF has been fishing here the past week and he will be able to give you an update on the water temperature. When I fished with him last Sunday the water temperature ranged from 16 degrees at the Heads to 23 degrees above the white bridge.  :tite
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: arnoldstrachan on October 11, 2014, 12:17:12 PM
Thanks SA FISH! I hope the big leeries are still around! On my last trip in September we managed to land one (shown in my profile picture) on a medium sized mullet in front of the moored yacht "GLEE" but dropped another 3 which seemed as if they couldn't swallow the 30cm/900 gram mullets I was trolling (all I could get hold of). If I understand correctly it is neap tide next week, meaning finding mullets is going to be challenging. Any recommendations as to where to throw a cast net for them? I generally throw in the channels to the left of the road bridge as you drive onto Thesens at low tide but at neap tide I struggle there.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on October 11, 2014, 12:48:31 PM
That is a good area to get Mullets and you can also try around Leisure Isle. If I am on a boat I normally go to areas where the shore based anglers can't get.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Nellis on October 12, 2014, 12:11:31 AM
(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01089_zpsa80941d2.jpg)


That is puffer fish territory.. for me. Vir die laaste 11 jaar het ek nog nooit iets anders as 'n Blaasop daar (waar foto geneem is) gevang nie.
In hindsight everybody has 20/20 vision. This made me think; due to the abundance of Blaasop in the estuary... are they abundant due to Leeries not eating them or are Leeries there to eat them because they are abundant?  :cnfzd
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Lofty on October 12, 2014, 01:06:23 AM
nothing,as far as I know,eats blaasops(Tobys)...I  :dislike: them... (bat
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on October 12, 2014, 12:24:28 PM
Connor hooked a blaasop beyond the white bridge and I watched as he let it swim around next to the boat. He was wanting to see how they swim and what they do, when another two Blaasops came up and the one bit the one that was hooked from behind...

That photo where Connor is, he hooked 3 Garricks there and around there.

Yesterday was a beautiful morning, but we never caught anything worth reporting. It was our last morning on the water so we were trying to expand the species list by aiming for Cob. Nothing there to report.

Will be back there in 2 months and I am absolutely certain that we will produce some awesome pics.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: arnoldstrachan on October 12, 2014, 01:27:13 PM
I doubt that the leeries eat blaasops, I have however heard that dolphins as well as dorado's eat them, perhaps even to get high off of the toxins released when ingested. It is hard to believe but a simple google search will clear up the mystery. I read a post about a nice dorado caught in the lagoon in January 2014 on a spoon, who knows maybe a live blaasop will deliver results  :hehe: . They are quite pesky but nonetheless serve a part in the food chain, use larger baits to avoid them hassling you too much and throw them back if caught, nothing worse than seeing anglers throw them on the shore to die in the hopes that they would bring the population down! swr <:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on October 12, 2014, 03:53:36 PM
throw them back if caught, nothing worse than seeing anglers throw them on the shore to die in the hopes that they would bring the population down! swr <:

Agreed - stupid mentality (or should I say complete lack of any intellect at all.)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: arnoldstrachan on October 22, 2014, 10:37:29 AM
Good Morning everyone,


I am back in CT after a great trip in Knysna. Unfortunately we did not manage to get much fishing done between all the skiing and the gekuiery. We did however manage to catch some mullets at the heads but they were all a little too big (20-25cm) we trolled them on 3 occasions but only started getting pick ups on Saturday and Sunday after the fish had recovered from the cold front that passed through on Wednesday and Thursday. Even the Cape Stumpnose and Streepies that we catch in front of our house were affected by the drop in pressure and only started biting again on Saturday and Sunday. Once again we did not have any solid hookups on Garrick as the mullets were too big. We were fishing with mostly inexperienced anglers so we did not even attempt to throw artificials. Having 8 people on the boat with a treble hook or 3 swinging around didn't seem like a good idea.


An interesting thing happened to one of the mullets though. we trolled in the main channel between the SANPARKS jetty and the train bridge and a mullet was picked up, the run was very aggressive and after feeding the fish for probably 20 seconds I tightened up and the line stayed slack, I retrieved the rig to find only the shivering head of the mullet. The rest of the fish was cleanly bitten off. Any ideas on what could have taken it? I assume that it was a shad but I could be wrong, maybe a shark?


All in all a, great trip but unfortunately not much to show in terms of fishing. I will be down again this weekend until January and will post regular updates on what is biting. stywe lyne! :tite :fshn: [size=78%] [/size]
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on October 22, 2014, 12:36:15 PM
We were fishing with mostly inexperienced anglers so we did not even attempt to throw artificials. Having 8 people on the boat with a treble hook or 3 swinging around didn't seem like a good idea.

I assume that it was a shad but I could be wrong, maybe a shark?

 

I would say it was a shark.

Secondly, educate the inexperienced angler....take off the trebles and fit single hooks. Any fishing store can do this for you. Less damage to the fish and if one of these guys hook you, you'll be glad it a single! :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on October 22, 2014, 12:41:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Like Robin said, it could have been a Shark but sometimes there are big Elf around that could also do that to your Mullet. Fishing with Mullets of that size will not get you a lot of fish but when you get one it will be one to remember.  :sreel: :sreel:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on October 23, 2014, 08:53:20 AM
The reason why I said shark is because if I look at the hit rate we have shark vs Elf, it's almost always a shark. (But unless I looked into the water and saw what iot was, it could have been an Elf....hey maybe it was another Dorado! :dor: :hehe: )

By the way Hermann, you were 100% about where the Dorado was caught, I was wrong.

Will you ready to go in late Dec again? Only very early mornings (Like 04h00 until 09h00) and night fishing (16h00 - 23h00). Our Dec routine, sleep in the day and test the reel and rod's strength when the sun is gone. (I must just caution you, Dec is THE most difficult time to catch for us. If you look at our hook up rate in Dec compared to all other times, it's dismal. Although Connor is putting us on the fish regularly now, so that might change this year. (The boat traffic is a joke. I will show you something in Dec, I told you about the guys using us as a channel marker, we will fish the Ashmead one afternoon and watch the chaos as they all hit the sandbank next to us. We are so far from the channel....and then once they hit the bank, they tilt the motor and clap the 250 horses to the max to power further onto the bank. Mud flies so high, it's quite a show. I must quietly  (clap) the entertainment)

To all boat user on the Knysna Lagoon, please don't accept that a boat anchored is a boat in the channel. We skim over sandbanks to get deeper water away from the channel. You are welcome to follow us.... :nuts:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on October 23, 2014, 09:02:58 AM
Robin, I will gladly accept your offer to go out with you guys again.  :tkx:
I was planning to fix my boat during the next couple of weeks but have to go on another business trip and I am off to India for a week or two.   :nuts: :hehe:

This time I will have the GoPro settings sorted.  :blush:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on November 27, 2014, 01:02:11 PM
If this does not cheer up your Thursday, then nothing will!!

A guy working with my wife just spotted an Elephant in the Knysna forest. How cool it that??  :yipee: :yipee:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: L Hooker on November 27, 2014, 01:27:16 PM
If this does not cheer up your Thursday, then nothing will!!

A guy working with my wife just spotted an Elephant in the Knysna forest. How cool it that??  :yipee: :yipee:
:corrct: :corrct:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Half-Pint on November 27, 2014, 01:37:28 PM
If this does not cheer up your Thursday, then nothing will!!

A guy working with my wife just spotted an Elephant in the Knysna forest. How cool it that??  :yipee: :yipee:

Wow Hermann! Extremely lucky that .... so what lotto numbers has he picked?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on November 27, 2014, 02:23:09 PM
 :hehe: I don't know about the lotto numbers but I'll be buying him a Bells the next time I see him.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Charles on November 27, 2014, 03:17:24 PM
:hehe: I don't know about the lotto numbers but I'll be buying him a Bells the next time I see him.

Was it not the Bells that let him see that elusive elephant?  :creep:

Jokes aside, this is great news! What happened to the young Kruger elephants released in the Knysna forest some years ago?

Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on November 27, 2014, 03:40:40 PM
*edit*
Charles, as far as I know they did not last long. I think they had to be relocated as they struggled to adapt in the dense forest and were removed 5 years later.

From Wikipedia:
"In September 2000 a forest guard, Wilfred Oraai, videotaped a young bull from a distance of about thirty metres, immediately raising questions about its provenance. Conservationist Gareth Patterson has collected numerous fresh samples of elephant dung for DNA analysis by geneticist Lori S. Eggert from the University of Missouri in Columbia. In its passage through the digestive system, dung scrapes against the walls of the intestines and as a result has a surface rich in DNA. Analysis suggests at least five females within the population, while Patterson's fieldwork suggests the additional presence of three bulls and two calves.
Despite the DNA evidence, official sources insisted that only one elephant survived, an elusive female known as 'The Matriarch', making the Knysna elephant functionally extinct."
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Half-Pint on November 28, 2014, 07:49:38 AM
Charles if you can get hold of Gareth Patterson's book The Secret Elephants: The Rediscovery of the World's Most Southerly Elephants you must do so. A very interesting read!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Charles on November 28, 2014, 07:58:21 AM
Thanks SAfish and Half-Pint!

I always had some fascination with the Knysna elephants. Will look for the book.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on November 28, 2014, 08:02:30 AM
They removed my favourite road sign years ago and I think they should put it up again. It read: "You are now entering an area where wild Elephants roam free".  :win:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on November 28, 2014, 12:23:33 PM
Check out this link, this must have been an amazing experience.

"Wooden cave in 800-year-old tree."

http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news/News/General/92336/Wooden-cave-in-800yearold-tree# (http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news/News/General/92336/Wooden-cave-in-800yearold-tree#)!prettyPhoto
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on November 28, 2014, 02:02:27 PM
My wife's colleague apparently told her the elephant's tracks were on the small side (for an elephant) so it might be a young bull or a female. He has shown her photos of the tracks as well as where it ate and scratched itself. I asked her to get the photos and will post them here if I get them. The animal was on their company's private land which forms part of the Knysna forest. 
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on December 20, 2014, 02:47:09 PM
Hello Knysna

Any news any fishing.

What's up.

I just arrived and I am just relaxing to plan for the next few days.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on December 20, 2014, 03:01:35 PM
Hannes, I was at Breezers yesterday and the guy there said the Grunters and Leeries are biting well. Problem is I don't know where in the lagoon. I just came back from a spinning session at Leisure Isle and caught nothing. However, I did see a Leerie chase but it was outside casting range.  :tite
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on December 21, 2014, 07:20:52 AM
So I waited with baited breath for the tide to go down to get some prawns. Managed a had full by 8 last night. Sitting on the jetty in front of point lodge l, I could not go to the front of the jetty as this gated with signs of private and some spikes on the top of the gate, I have a bite and a small fish is on. Immediately around the poles in front of the jetty.

So rod in hand I decide I can climb over the gate spikes and all.

Well one of the most precarious moments of my life ensued. A spike tore my pants right there where it matters and so I am hanging .... can't move ...if I go forward the spike is entering my  (excuse me) bag and it has now hooked into my shorts and holding on I can't go back without losing my balance. In the mean time the fish decided it is not so small and it is taking line.

Well a long story short, tore my pants, lost my fish, and I have an ugly red welt on my leg and a puncture wound somewhere else.

This morning it is funny yesterday  I was not impressed with myself.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on December 21, 2014, 07:43:14 AM
We arrived yesterday, took a spin up and down the river to see what was what. Little to no activity. Had a small misfire issue on the motor in the dark, I suspect it's only a spark plug failing. I'll let you guys know what happens later today. I'll be putting Connor (AKA my fish finder - he works better than my Lowrance DSi) on the nose of the boat. Provided the motor does not have an issue, which I don't think it does, we will cover the entire lagoon today and work the tides and see what we find. If they are there, we will find them.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: colin on December 21, 2014, 08:02:03 AM
Climbing over palisade or spiked fences is a NO NO . Know of one dog and two men that have died this way. One friend died impaled, (bled out), while his wife and her friend could not lift him off the barbed spike as he was too heavy, and the barbs worked further and further into his groin.   Colin. :toppie:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on December 21, 2014, 09:31:16 AM
Thanks for the concern Colin but this was not serious like that just funny.

Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on December 21, 2014, 04:03:42 PM
Bummed a lift on a boat and we were fishing clo to train bridge in rough weather on small boat.

Nothing.

Came back to the jetty and caught a small stompie that went on for live  bait.

Had a huge run but lost it.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on December 22, 2014, 11:23:38 AM
I went for a 3 hour spinning session this morning and the water looked beautiful, nice colour and warm. I did not even see one Leerie which was a bit disappointing. At least a helicopter followed my lure but did not commit.  duh  :hehe:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on December 22, 2014, 11:31:06 AM
He came over to us near the mud flats and circled. Besides, too many boats where you are, the Leeries are a bit shy. Got the boat up and running again. Going later to see what is where. We will be back much later, so I can only post an update tomorrow.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on December 22, 2014, 11:48:58 AM
Robin, I am glad you got your boat sorted. I went fishing early, while it was still raining and the boats only came later when the rain cleared. I tried all the lures in my arsenal but nothing worked. I still enjoyed it even though I got nothing.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on December 22, 2014, 01:09:45 PM
Robin, I am glad you got your boat sorted. I went fishing early, while it was still raining and the boats only came later when the rain cleared. I tried all the lures in my arsenal but nothing worked. I still enjoyed it even though I got nothing.

It was just a faulty wire. Yesterday, Connor and I walked the bank of the Ashmead and it was way too quiet. No action on the water at all. We are going now and we will see if we can find a pattern in the movements and then we will talk. I need to see what is happening near the white bridge. The water temp is about 25C there.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on December 22, 2014, 03:55:21 PM
The area where I fished has got a steep drop-off and I counted to 13 before my bucktail got to the bottom.  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on December 22, 2014, 06:00:16 PM
That bank where you were has a CLIFF! That is one of the biggest dropoff's I've seen. The wind was just too much. We got blown off the water. I'll see what happens a bit later.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on December 22, 2014, 07:05:53 PM
According to guru it should be quiet by 8
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on December 23, 2014, 02:46:38 PM
RobinF has invited me to go fishing with them this afternoon.  :yipee: :sreel: :grk:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on December 23, 2014, 03:12:54 PM
Bye bye Knysna.

Better luck next time.



Style Lynne  Robin and Herman
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on December 24, 2014, 10:47:13 PM
This photo taken about a month ago by my bil while walking from waterfront.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mrzipo on December 26, 2014, 05:17:57 PM
howzit fished the lagoon last week and got a couple kob all on cuttlefish bait
I also tried every lure I had and didn't get 1 hit
I fished most mornings 4.45 to 7am
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on December 29, 2014, 05:43:09 PM
(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01226_zpsc1c4232d.jpg)

Angler       : Connor
Age          : 12yrs
Date         : 22/12/2014
Time         : 20:15
Location   : Knysna Lagoon
Fish          : Kob
Length     : 75.5cm
Weight    : 4.4Kg (Fishweights.co.za)
Bait         : Chokka Strip
Rod         : Sensation 6.6ft Bass Master
Reel        : Shimano Sienna 2500
Line         : Sufix 10Lb Braid
Hook:      : 6/O Circle
RELEASED

Report:   Tide was outgoing, just after sunset. Connor launched the Chokka into a   dropoff where we normally see Garrick patrolling. The pick up was a   soft pull and I saw Connor holding the rod low and was wondering what he   was doing when he started gradually lifted the rod, I realised that he   was helping the circle hook to set on something. The reel just screamed   after that. Fight took about 7 minutes, Fish was too long for the net,   but we managed to get it onto the deck. Removed the circle hook, got a   quick one or two pics and safely released the Kob back. It swam off very   well and actually gave a big head shake and threw the lip-grip and off   it went. Connor's PB for Kob. 
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Chigger on December 29, 2014, 05:53:54 PM
Nice catch Connor (clap)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on December 29, 2014, 05:58:55 PM
Angler       : Connor
Age          : 12yrs
Date         : 23/12/2014
Time         : 07h30
Location   : Knysna Lagoon
Fish          : Duckbill Ray
Length     : 86.0cm (Wingtip to wingtip)
Weight    : 11.17Kg (Fishweights.co.za)
Bait         : Chokka Strip
Rod         : Sensation 6.6ft Bass Master
Reel        : Shimano Sienna 2500 and the Lip-Grip
Line         : Sufix 10Lb Braid
Hook:      : 6/O Circle

True testament to this tiny rod's strength and the awesome power of the Duckbill Ray
(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01244_zps25c84000.jpg)

(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01259_zps29326304.jpg)


If the Ray had not been so tired, my Lip-Grip would have been gone!
(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01264_zps197c9411.jpg)

    Report: Outgoing tide, fishing in a spot that we know is a  predator paradise. Pick up was slow and sluggish and gradually started to  accelerate. The Ray never ran extremely far, but chose to fight dirty. Under  the boat, onto the bottom of the river, it even wrapped the line around the  anchor rope 5 times and only very quick actions kept Connor in the fight. With  30 minutes over, I said to Connor that the 10lb Braid or his 6.6ft Bass Master  were going to break. At 1hr and 20 minutes, the braid gave up and snapped. The  rod tip was very close to where I was standing, so I jumped up grabbed the line  and wrapped it around the lip-grip and handed it back to an exhausted Connor  and told him to carry on fighting. Old school hand fishing, he brought the Ray  up at 1hr and 27minutes. It was too big to land on deck and there were no sand  banks open yet. I reached overboard and pulled the circle hook with the pliers  and the fluorocarbon leader snapped at the hook and the ray was free to
go.

(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01271_zps617ff978.jpg)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on December 29, 2014, 06:48:17 PM
 (clap) Well done, Connor. Thanks again Robin for taking me fishing with you guys. It is now the second time that Connor out fished me.  :blush: :hehe:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on December 29, 2014, 07:37:40 PM
(clap) Well done, Connor. Thanks again Robin for taking me fishing with you guys. It is now the second time that Connor out fished me.  :blush: :hehe:

I got blasted afterwards!  :dunno: Connor asked me what I was thinking when I gave him the rod after I poached his fish from him. He asked me why I never gave you the rod. I was in such trouble!  :hehe: The idea was to break the ice on our boat for you so that you will start catching. I explained to him that I felt bad for stealing his fish. All I got was "no dad, that's not ok, we told Hermann that he would catch. That should have been Hermann's fish so that he breaks the ice".  :blush: Eish....

Just to bring everyone up on this, Connor got a Garrick chasing his lure and I fired my lure about 15m behind his and I got the fish. (Oldest trick in the book) I felt bad so I gave Connor the rod. (I felt like I stole his fish - which I did!)

(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01274_zps6359fa2a.jpg)

(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01284_zps7752d753.jpg)

This is normally a tough time to catch because of the traffic on the lagoon. We did very well. Connor is onto me to come back, so we will be there very soon again and THIS TIME, you will catch your fish from our boat Hermann. As soon as the lagoon quietens down, you'll catch a big boy from the boat.

Pic of the release:
(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01288_zps6d0e567c.jpg)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on December 29, 2014, 07:42:53 PM
Some scenery pics while fishing. Yes, that is heavy clouds and rain. Notice no boats? That is right, we were the only one's braving the rain and cold:

(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01328_zps67683f2a.jpg)

(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01326_zpscf33ef4b.jpg)

(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01325_zps26112b68.jpg)

(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC01323_zps96d41c03.jpg)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on December 29, 2014, 07:51:12 PM
We now officially have a couple of boats that will deliberately follow us when they see us. We also have one particular boat that likes to troll a race course patterns around us. As they pass, I fire my lure out behind their boat in the hope that if anything is approaching their live bait, that the fish might find my lure more interesting....that is how close they troll to us  :hehe: .

We moved down river deliberately and waited and as sure as can be, not more than 10 minutes later, the one boat pulled up near us. (And I deliberately parked in a rubbish fishing spot to see).  I guess all the pics of fish caught and released at times when no one is catching, all up on the wall at Breezers does not help!  :hyst:

We still have a great time regardless, so how cares right? w;k
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on December 29, 2014, 07:59:19 PM
Well done guys. Awesome photos stories and fish.

Knysna is so beautiful.

When the lagoon is like glass nothing beats it.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: colin on December 29, 2014, 08:38:38 PM
 :clfoto: looks like I must put Knysna on my bucket list. Hire a houseboat ??Colin. :toppie:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on December 29, 2014, 08:40:30 PM
:clfoto: looks like I must put Knysna on my bucket list. Hire a houseboat ??Colin. :toppie:

That is one option, it's quite a popular thing to do. Fishing 24/7!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on December 30, 2014, 08:20:56 AM
 :hehe: Robin, I would also have given the rod to Connor, it was his fish. I wasted too much time with my tackle and by the time I took your rod most of the action was over. I am secretly holding out for that +10kg Leerie. Next time!  :hnthnt: :hnthnt:

 :hyst: I had to laugh at those guys in the rubberduck. They were probably there for a while and we arrive and are almost immediately onto the fish. Leeries smashing on the surface everywhere. Magic.  :yipee: 
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on December 30, 2014, 08:56:50 AM


 :hyst: I had to laugh at those guys in the rubberduck. They were probably there for a while and we arrive and are almost immediately onto the fish. Leeries smashing on the surface everywhere. Magic.  :yipee:

That's the idea. Let them sit on top of us, we will still catch the fish....right next to them if need be. Watch Connor, he changes his lure after every 10-20 casts. He sends each lure our covering a span of about 270 degrees. If the fish are there, he will atleast get some kind of a look. Once that happens, he focuses on that spot. With he and I firing different lures constantly, it's only a question of time before something happens. We go out there to enjoy ourselves and if some some guys take our spot or get too close, we just carry on catching. It's a big stretch of water with lots of fish. You need to know where to look and when and even if they follow us, they still most likely won't have the same lures or retrieval techniques.

Over and over again, we arrive at a spot with other guys not very far away and they watch us catch and catch and 60min later we move. It must be frustrating for them, but if they watch carefully, they will learn.

When Connor caught his Kob, there were no fewer than 4 boats in the second channel, we moved straight past them and into the shallower waters, and onto the dropoff and Connor's reel went off. All in no more than 20minutes. We knew where to be and when. It was so quiet, every boat must have heard and seen the action.And those boats were no more than 400m away from where we pulled up.

Ofcourse we do sometimes blank, but that is other factors that we cannot control. We seldom hear that guys caught at times when we don't catch. Just persevere and slowly you start to see a pattern.

That afternoon when you were with us Hermann, we should have caught more fish, but I think that even the Garrick got spooked by what was eating those baitfish. I have never seen the fish boil like that.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on December 30, 2014, 09:30:10 AM
Yes, I would love to know what chased them to the surface. I think our lures were too big because those baitfish were tiny. I have a small little spoon, about 3cm long, and it is going to come with next time.  :rck"
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on December 30, 2014, 09:35:58 AM
Yes, I would love to know what chased them to the surface.

Maybe another  :dor: :hehe:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on December 30, 2014, 09:44:35 AM
Now you're talking. I think it might have been Kob or even Elf but the latter would have smashed them on the surface.  :dunno:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on December 30, 2014, 09:50:03 AM
I think we all felt it was Kob, we all had bottom lures out. (If we had hooked a big Kob or two, those poor guys on the rubber duck would have screamed!)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on December 30, 2014, 10:10:54 AM
 :hehe: I agree, they would have gone ape. It is raining again here and now the wind has picked up. I think it is a good day to sit and change all hooks to singles.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on December 30, 2014, 10:35:37 AM
I think it is a good day to sit and change all hooks to singles.

Get the small Sensation split ring tool. Also you may need split rings. You may also need a few plasters...
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on December 30, 2014, 10:47:21 AM
I will go to Breezers and will get some, thanks. Plasters I have, had to use one when Roxy and I played a bit rough last night.  :hehe:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on December 31, 2014, 09:57:32 AM
Hermann, I know that Feb/March will be when the big Leeries enter the lagoon, so might be an idea for me to get the 12yr old fishing machine and you on the boat at that time. You will need to come out more than once with us then. I think if we commit to just that one species, we will be more successful. Rig the rods for that, put Connor on the nose as we move along and you with your 'hawk' eyes, we will have a much higher hit rate. Hopefully, I won't need the anchor, we can just move with the fish all the way. (Also, if you or Connor hits a big fish, which is very likely, we can chase it if need be. 10lb Braid and a 2500 reels don't like big fish and anchors, they like to be able to move)

I'll start putting the plan together. 
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on December 31, 2014, 10:02:45 AM
 :yipee: It sounds like a great plan! Hawk eyes.... :hyst: We will catch, that is for sure!  :sreel: :grk:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on December 31, 2014, 10:32:27 AM
Hawk eyes.... :hyst:

Don't sell yourself short, for Connor to be bewildered by your ability to see the topwater action as you did, you must know. You have a talent there and if employed correctly in the right environment, you will be massively successful. Connor spots chases when we are at 60K/Hr heading upriver, so he is quite good, but you blew his mind with your ability. If we all settle on not dropping anchor and committing to non-stop searching, we will double our hit rate or better. It's a hard slog to do that because of shallow water, channels, other boats, but in Feb/March, it can be done with great accuracy.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on December 31, 2014, 12:23:13 PM
Polaroid sunglasses is a must. We will get them and they better be BIG!  :hehe:
I am in the process of changing my hooks to singles, the split-ring pliers makes it so easy!  :win:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on December 31, 2014, 12:28:47 PM
I am in the process of changing my hooks to singles, the split-ring pliers makes it so easy!  :win:

Singles is the only way. You saw how easily that Leerie got hooked on that single hook that I had on. Well done Hermann.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on December 31, 2014, 01:53:59 PM
So, this is a controversial subject in Knysna at the moment. SAPS, Knysna Municipal Law Enforcement and Allsound security are setting up a roadblock at the entrance to Leisure Isle tonight from 19:oo to 01:00 tomorrow morning. Vehicles will be searched and all alcoholic drinks will be confiscated. The roadblock will again be in place tomorrow from 04:00 to 16:00.
This has created quite a stir because some say it is unconstitutional and they can't seize the booze, they are not allowed to search your car without your consent etc etc.
I think it is good. In past years Leisure Isle has become a "hot spot" during New Years eve parties on the beach and people would get drunk and disorderly. The streets here are very narrow and there are people walking all over the place. One drunk driver can seriously put everyone's lives in danger. People now wants to make it a race thing (surprised?). It is not about race, everyone that comes onto the Island will be searched. What do you guys think?
***Remember, keep the discussions clean.***
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on December 31, 2014, 03:07:02 PM
Since they are not targeting anyone in particular, I say if you don't like it, go somewhere else. Obviously there have been problems in the past and they are protecting those at risk. It is lawful? Probably not. Regardless, as I said, those that don't like it have the right to go elsewhere.

(I for one would not like it if I lived on an island and it got invaded by drunken hordes that left bottles, litter etc. all over the Island. Not to mention the noise and obvious crime possibility)

That is my opinion.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on January 01, 2015, 10:10:45 AM
A  :cens chinese lantern landed on our roof last night and this morning my wife picked two up, one in the park and one in the lagoon. These things should be banned!  swr <:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: L Hooker on January 06, 2015, 11:15:08 AM
Well i'm back from Knysna, had a great family holiday. Herman apologies for not meeting up with you however had both my wifes and my family down there so family commitments pretty much ruled the holiday. I managed to throw a line between the tubing/sighseeing/skiing trips however did not have much success in the lagoon. I also found the mullet to be pretty scarce and only managed to get a few (in the past I used to see huge mullet shoals saw none this year only about 4-6 mullet per school?).
 
I slow trawled the live mullet mainly and had 2 on /offs the one was quite a large Garrick which I managed to coax to the boat however he spat the rather large mullet close to the boat and the circle did not find its mark. (this is after free spooling him for sometime think the mulet was a bit on the large size and should have perhaps let him eat a bit longer). I threw some lures on 2 occasions however with no success .Boat traffic below the train bridge was ridiculous and quite frankly think most of the skippers require some additional lessons on boating ettiquete, twice I had boats cut me off literally passed 10m behind my boat at full speed :unhap . I only managed to go to the deep once, went out to Dagleish banks and caught quite a few Romans, Carpenters etc. The 2nd week I was there tried to go out to the deep twice however decided against it due to the huge swell/waves  in the heads turned out to be the right call as 2 boats capsized in the heads that week (not sure if you heard about it?). I guy who owned the unit next to us caught quite a few Garrick above the train line close to Belvidere using a rapala walking minnow I believe. He also caught numerous Grunter 1 very nice one which must have been close to 4kf if not bigger with free floating mud prawn using a small circle in the same area.
 
Anyhow next time might try go down out of silly season recon fishing the lagoon will be heaps better with less boat traffic!! Cheers S
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on January 06, 2015, 11:28:27 AM
At this time of year you have to fish VERY early or VERY late. (Like 04h00 - 07h00 or 19h00 - onwards)

I also encountered a number of these clowns forgetting to pass on the correct side, a couple bringing their skiers right up to us as we sat over a dropoff (Skier going over 4ft of water, if they fall...ouch). I did have a guy shouting at me because I passed him too close, but then he was anchored right in the middle of a narrow channel. But soon after that he moved because every other boat did the same thing. Where did he expect everyone to go? Onto the sandbank?

Hint for next time Hooker, troll outside of the channels. The Lagoon has a number of 'second' channels that work VERY well. We catch 90% of our fish in these second channels. (even out of season) I just won't risk hooking a decent fish and having someone cut us off.

One of the biggest issues is that guys come there and fail to learn where the channels are. So when you anchor far far away from the channel, these guys come straight at you thinking that you must be in the channel.  duh

I agree that a lot of these guys need a bit of re-education. For everyone's safety.

We saw one of those capsized boats moored at the Parkies' office, it was still upside down.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on January 06, 2015, 11:34:25 AM
LHooker, no problem, we can make a plan to get together next time you are here. Like Robin said, during this busy season you really have to work hard for your fish. I have also noticed that the Mullet are not as plentiful as a couple of years ago. I used to catch a lot of big Striped Mullet on bread at Leisure Isle and you could see them jump any time of day but now you hardly ever see them.  :-(

*Edit* I only know about the one boat that capsized but my neighbour (he grew up here) had a close call when a wave broke over their transom and almost capsized them. The Heads can be dangerous even on good days.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on January 07, 2015, 12:20:19 PM
This coming Saturday's weather and tides look good for an early morning session of Leerie hunting off the kayak.  :hnthnt:  :fshn: :grk:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on January 28, 2015, 11:23:28 AM
In the below article from the Knysna-Plett Herald you can see that Sanparks are doing a great job protecting the lagoon. Well done to everyone involved in clamping down on the illegal activities!  (clap)  :resp:

"KNYSNA NEWS FLASH - Between April 2014 and October 2014, 85 people were fined and five arrested for environmental crimes related to the Knysna estuary.
 
There were seven court appearances and 23 warrants of arrests’ according to Owen Govender, Senior Section Ranger, Knysna, Garden Route National Park (GRNP).

Goods confiscated by Peter Roman’s team in Knysna included mud prawns (1028), polycheate worms (983), tapeworm (187), alikreukels (165), moonshine (75), mud crabs (36), blood worm (27) and garden forks (15)."
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on January 28, 2015, 11:38:21 AM
In the below article from the Knysna-Plett Herald you can see that Sanparks are doing a great job protecting the lagoon. Well done to everyone involved in clamping down on the illegal activities!  (clap) :resp:

"KNYSNA NEWS FLASH - Between April 2014 and October 2014, 85 people were fined and five arrested for environmental crimes related to the Knysna estuary.
 
There were seven court appearances and 23 warrants of arrests’ according to Owen Govender, Senior Section Ranger, Knysna, Garden Route National Park (GRNP).

Goods confiscated by Peter Roman’s team in Knysna included mud prawns (1028), polycheate worms (983), tapeworm (187), alikreukels (165), moonshine (75), mud crabs (36), blood worm (27) and garden forks (15)."

They do such a good job. Really great to see.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Lofty on January 29, 2015, 01:16:41 PM
do they release the prawns and worms that they confiscate...? :dunno:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on January 29, 2015, 01:27:04 PM
No, they phone me and I collect free bait.  :crzy  :hyst: :hyst:

Lofty, I am only joking. Yes, they release them again.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on February 13, 2015, 01:56:59 PM
I have moved my posts here from the "Crime at Sodwana" thread.

The details are still sketchy but there was an armed robbery at a house two blocks away from my work. Apparently it happened at 3am this morning. The husband and wife were both wounded and the man is critical. The woman was shot twice while she had her baby in her arms.

My son woke us up this morning, also at 3 am and told us that when he got up for a drink of water he saw someone in our yard. I quickly took my trusty CZ and went to investigate but found nothing. Our dog sleeps in the kitchen and I took her with. She just sniffed around a bit and did not seem alarmed. I think my son just got confused with the trees moving in the wind but it could have been a serious thing. Because we stay on an Island with good security we tend to get complacent but we seriously have to be more security conscious. 
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on February 13, 2015, 01:57:28 PM
This article was just posted on the local news paper's website:

"KNYSNA NEWS - Knysna residents are horrified following the shooting of a Knysna couple at their home by armed robbers this morning at about 03:30.
 
According to Sergeant Chris Spies, spokesperson for the Knysna Police, the robbers armed with fire arms, gained entry to the home on the corner of Queen and Tide Streets via a window at the back of the house. The burglar bars were forced open.
 
Spies said it is still uncertain what exactly happened, but it is alleged that the woman heard that there was somebody in the house and was confronted by the robbers when she went to investigate. "Shots were fired and the husband and wife were injured. They were rushed to hospital where they are both being treated for gun shot wounds."
 
Spies said that there were children in the home at the time of the robbery, but he did not want to give information on their ages or where they are currently.
 
The police found an abandoned blue BMW in Hope Street shortly after the shooting. "The investigation is in a very early stage, but we are investigating the possibility that the vehicle was used by the robbers."
 
The BMW is not registered in Knysna. No arrest has been made so far."
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on February 13, 2015, 02:01:08 PM
OK, this is an eye opener. The security on the island was notified this morning of a break in and responded immediately to a know escape route and found tracks in the sand. The scouted the area and arrested a suspect. While they were busy with him they received a call from another resident reporting a break in. The suspect took the police to the place where he stashed the stolen goods and he is now locked up.

We now had a discussion at work about me going outside with my gun, looking for the guy. I should have stayed inside the house and call the security instead of putting myself in unnecessary danger. 
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on February 13, 2015, 02:39:44 PM
Make your home as 'unattractive' to criminals as possible. I would put movement activated security lights all around the house as a start.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on February 13, 2015, 02:51:52 PM
Yes, there is a specific area that is really dark and bushy and it will make a good hiding spot. I am going to put a light up there. A friend suggested that I connect our door bell to the light and as soon as it goes on the door bell will alert us. Not sure if it is possible but it sounds like a good idea.  :dunno:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Half-Pint on February 13, 2015, 03:40:47 PM
Yes, there is a specific area that is really dark and bushy and it will make a good hiding spot. I am going to put a light up there. A friend suggested that I connect our door bell to the light and as soon as it goes on the door bell will alert us. Not sure if it is possible but it sounds like a good idea.  :dunno:

In the words of Barry Hilton "k*K ardea chana"  :hehe:

Every time the wind blows the trees will move and set off the light. A light going on is not that bad but your door bell ringing every few minutes is going to drive you insane!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Charles on February 13, 2015, 03:48:50 PM
SAfish I think it is possible to connect with the door bell but may be a bit technical and with our power failures and load shedding..... :dunno:

I have "beams" around the house which will trigger the alarm system when someone enters the premises. The draw back is that our dog (Border Collie) needs to sleep inside the house but that is also an added advantage as she is very alert. We can move freely inside the house and on the stoep even while the alarm is armed.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on February 13, 2015, 03:50:13 PM
 :hehe: You are right, I might just shoot the door bell to pieces at 2 am in the morning.  <: :uzi:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on February 13, 2015, 03:54:07 PM
SAfish I think it is possible to connect with the door bell but may be a bit technical and with our power failures and load shedding..... :dunno:

I have "beams" around the house which will trigger the alarm system when someone enters the premises. The draw back is that our dog (Border Collie) needs to sleep inside the house but that is also an added advantage as she is very alert. We can move freely inside the house and on the stoep even while the alarm is armed.
Charles, we also have a Border Collie and she also sleeps in the house. I am still not convinced that the guy was inside the yard, maybe he was looking over the fence which is about 7 meters from the bathroom window. Roxy did not react funny when I took her outside and she would have smelled him if he was inside.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on February 13, 2015, 04:37:06 PM
The very best alarm in the world is a dog that sleeps inside.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: L Hooker on February 16, 2015, 07:45:22 AM
Not lekker  :unhap hope the couple make a full recovery!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on March 20, 2015, 03:28:27 PM
I had a report from a reliable source that a guy has caught a good sized Leerie today. The weekend's weather looks good combined with the spring high so I think I must do some Leerie hunting stress relieve this weekend.  :hnthnt:  :fshn: :grk:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Willie on March 20, 2015, 03:31:16 PM
You guys on the coast are really lucky to have the sea at your feet  :envy   :tite  line SA
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on March 20, 2015, 05:12:17 PM
Thaks Willie, I appreciate living here more than ever. We are truly Blessed to live in such a beautiful part of the country.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Charles on March 20, 2015, 05:13:54 PM
I had a report from a reliable source that a guy has caught a good sized Leerie today. The weekend's weather looks good combined with the spring high so I think I must do some Leerie hunting stress relieve this weekend.  :hnthnt:  :fshn: :grk:

 :corrct: I saw the pic on FB, seems to be a bus and caught at the train bridge.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on March 30, 2015, 06:27:54 PM
My boss went wake-boarding yesterday and the water was only 13 degrees at the heads.  :nuts: At the white bridge it was 22! This will mean that the fish will travel up and down with the tide and you will have to work hard to get them.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: briansflyfishing on April 09, 2015, 07:54:49 AM
More success has come from the Belvidere area and higher.
You can see the mist coming through the heads every day meaning it is ice cold water entering the estuary.
Up river is a way better bet, with a few nice Garrick still coming out.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 09, 2015, 08:30:46 AM
Thanks Brian, I am going to try the upper river this weekend and hope the Leeries are still around after the rain.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: QuQ on April 09, 2015, 09:00:05 AM
A mate of mine pulled out 4 x very nice Leerie this past weekend.  Sent me pics to prove it.  All higher up.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 09, 2015, 09:31:55 AM
Thanks for the information QuQ.

Something that was discussed in our club's monthly news letter is the lack of Mullet in the 200mm range. You either get small ones or +300mm ones. It seems like there is a generation gap.  :hehe: Has any of you experienced this?  :dunno:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on April 14, 2015, 02:15:57 PM
Thanks for the information QuQ.

Something that was discussed in our club's monthly news letter is the lack of Mullet in the 200mm range. You either get small ones or +300mm ones. It seems like there is a generation gap.  :hehe: Has any of you experienced this?  :dunno:

100% correct. Seen this too. Either big or very small. Might be nothing, but I have noticed the same thing.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 14, 2015, 03:47:03 PM
Thanks for the information QuQ.

Something that was discussed in our club's monthly news letter is the lack of Mullet in the 200mm range. You either get small ones or +300mm ones. It seems like there is a generation gap.  :hehe: Has any of you experienced this?  :dunno:

100% correct. Seen this too. Either big or very small. Might be nothing, but I have noticed the same thing.
  :wlcmbk  It is great to see you again, Robin.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on April 14, 2015, 04:01:53 PM
Thanks for the information QuQ.

Something that was discussed in our club's monthly news letter is the lack of Mullet in the 200mm range. You either get small ones or +300mm ones. It seems like there is a generation gap.  :hehe: Has any of you experienced this?  :dunno:

100% correct. Seen this too. Either big or very small. Might be nothing, but I have noticed the same thing.
  :wlcmbk  It is great to see you again, Robin.

Thanks Hermann.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 16, 2015, 05:33:16 PM
Winter has arrived in Knysna and it is wet and cold. Our maximum temperature today hovered around 15 degrees and I just measured 12 degrees outside. We also had 18mm of rain since yesterday. The weekend's weather looks a bit better but summer is a thing of the past.  :-(
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on April 16, 2015, 05:47:21 PM
Winter has arrived in Knysna and it is wet and cold. Our maximum temperature today hovered around 15 degrees and I just measured 12 degrees outside. We also had 18mm of rain since yesterday. The weekend's weather looks a bit better but summer is a thing of the past.  :-(

We had that weather yesterday. Wait another month, take that Kayak and drift a prawn over the Ashmead and I promise that you'll get towed home by a White Steenbras (provided there are any left). Remember that bank I showed you? Drift over that  a few times and see... :fshn:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 16, 2015, 06:33:12 PM
Sounds like a sterling plan!  :sreel:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on April 16, 2015, 06:48:59 PM
Sounds like a sterling plan!  :sreel:

Outgoing tide, that way you'll get home. Incoming and you'll end up somewhere near town!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 16, 2015, 07:53:11 PM
 :hehe: Luckily I know a good pub in town. Getting back after that will be the real problem.  :beer:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on April 17, 2015, 05:17:09 AM
 :hyst:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on May 06, 2015, 08:13:37 PM
I just got word that Ile de Pain on Thesen Island is on fire. Let us hope they can contain it quickly. The lady that I am doing draughting work for has an office right next to it.  :-(
We are currently load shedding and I will update as soon as I get more info.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on May 06, 2015, 08:43:09 PM
It looks bad.  :cry:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Willie on May 06, 2015, 08:59:37 PM
Oh no that looks bad Hope no one got injured
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on May 06, 2015, 09:03:33 PM
So far there are no reports of injuries but the architects on the above the bakery will probably loose everything. Their central server is in that office.  :-(
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on May 06, 2015, 10:24:08 PM
The fire seems to be under control and Jo was able to evacuate her office. Ile de Pain and the offices of CMAI were destroyed. I will give an update tomorrow again when I get more info. Good night and be thankful for what you have because it can be taken away in a heartbeat. God bless.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on May 07, 2015, 06:22:29 AM
Such a popular spot. Such a pity.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on May 21, 2015, 08:19:56 AM
We certainly are not the only residents of the Knysna area and it warms my heart to see that these animals are still around and doing well in the forest.  :yipee: :happ:

"It's confirmed that a leopard has been spotted in the Diepwalle area of the Knysna Forest by SANParks' scientists. The sighting occurred in broad daylight at about 12:50 on Saturday, May 2. SANParks recently released footage depicting the leopard in its full-colour glory walking along a dirt path in the forest."

Read the full story and see the photo here:
http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news/News/General/137083/Leopard-spotted-in-Knysna-Forest (http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news/News/General/137083/Leopard-spotted-in-Knysna-Forest)


"An elusive Knysna Forest elephant made his (or her) mark during the night of Wednesday, May 13 when the mighty beast overturned a heavy Bell logger in the Goudveld Forest plantation. During the previous night the elephant also punctured one of the vehicle's expensive tyres."

Read the full story here:
http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news/News/General/137035/Proof-of-elephants-in-Knysna (http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news/News/General/137035/Proof-of-elephants-in-Knysna)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Charles on May 21, 2015, 08:44:15 AM
 (clap) Great news! I do think there are more leopards in the area including the Outeniqua mountains.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on May 21, 2015, 08:52:08 AM
Charles, the guys working with my wife says that they often see Leopard tracks and actually see them every now and then. We regularly go for walks in the forest and sometimes I get the feeling that we are being watched.  :hehe: They are so well camouflaged that you will walk right past one without knowing it is there.  :creep:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 02, 2015, 09:22:17 AM
This is from the web cam at the Heads this morning. We had over 100mm of rain in the past 48 hours and there are more to come.  :wndy
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: L Hooker on June 02, 2015, 10:59:48 AM
This is from the web cam at the Heads this morning. We had over 100mm of rain in the past 48 hours and there are more to come.  :wndy

Herman that better not be a complaint  (bat , id trade gail force winds, rain ,cold anyday of the week than sit up here in the concrete jungle :-( .. Lekker place you live you lucky bugger
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 02, 2015, 11:49:32 AM
No, I am not complaining at all.  :hehe: We also need the rain as it was very dry the last couple of months. I have a fire place, enough wood and a good Merlot in the cupboard.  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: L Hooker on June 02, 2015, 12:18:55 PM
No, I am not complaining at all.  :hehe: We also need the rain as it was very dry the last couple of months. I have a fire place, enough wood and a good Merlot in the cupboard.  :hnthnt:

 :-) :corrct: :corrct:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: CLS on June 02, 2015, 12:54:34 PM
This is from the web cam at the Heads this morning. We had over 100mm of rain in the past 48 hours and there are more to come.  :wndy
Hope this reaches us in KZN as we need the rain desperately, the trees are chasing the dogs  :hyst: :hyst:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 02, 2015, 01:32:00 PM
This is from the web cam at the Heads this morning. We had over 100mm of rain in the past 48 hours and there are more to come.  :wndy
Hope this reaches us in KZN as we need the rain desperately, the trees are chasing the dogs  :hyst: :hyst:
:hyst: :hyst: Good one!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 03, 2015, 12:40:34 AM
Thunder and lightning in June. It has also started to rain again and people in low laying areas should be vigilant. The ground is saturated after yesterdays 100mm of rain and a sudden heavy down pour can result in flash flooding.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Charles on June 03, 2015, 06:51:29 AM
We recorded 97 mm in Kleinbrakrivier yesterday and more rain on the way.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 03, 2015, 06:56:30 AM
It looks like the whole area is getting good rain. We had another 14mm overnight.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 27, 2015, 04:33:35 PM
There have been two shark attacks in the Knysna area in two days. Yesterday a surfer was attacked in Plettenberg Bay and this afternoon another attack took place in Buffel's Bay. Hectic

KNYSNA NEWS - There has been a second shark attack in the Knysna area.
A teenage boy was attacked at Buffel's Bay this afternoon.
The victim has been airlifted to hospital in George.
Early reports indicate that one of his legs was severed in the attack.  
Knysna NSRI and emergency services are still on the scene.

 In another incident, a young surfer was attacked by a shark while surfing in Plettenberg Bay yesterday afternoon.

Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on July 01, 2015, 07:36:01 AM
Lack of fish stocks will always result in these freak incidents. Not the shark's fault.

Anyway, you stand more chance of getting killed by a car than a shark. (Hope the surfers are ok)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on July 01, 2015, 07:53:09 AM
Apparently Caleb Swanepoel (the Buffel's Bay incident) was body surfing and not body boarding as previously stated.

"GARDEN ROUTE NEWS - The young man who was attacked by a shark at Buffel's Bay on Saturday, underwent surgery in the Mediclinic George yesterday.

Caleb Swanepoel (19) lost his right leg, above the knee, during the attack.

Shortly before the attack, Caleb and his brothers spotted the shark, but initially thought it was a dolphin.

Caleb’s father, Luc, told the George Herald (Knysna-Plett Herald's sister newspaper) that the operation went well and that Caleb is currently in a stable condition.
 
"We are expecting him to be moved out of High Care later today," he said."
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on July 01, 2015, 08:07:57 AM

Shortly before the attack, Caleb and his brothers spotted the shark, but initially thought it was a dolphin.


There's a lesson in that. Normally you hear surfers say they thought it was a Shark and it turned out to be a dolphin. You can never take the ocean for granted at anytime. Atleast he is alive.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on September 18, 2015, 07:11:58 AM
Well done to the Garden Route National Park Rangers who confiscated a large number of gill nets and traps from our water systems.  :resp:

"The successes include 17 snares removed from the boundary fences of the GRNP in the Rondevlei and Langvlei areas, four gill nets totalling 180m intercepted in Rondevlei before they could be set, one homemade net removed from Rondevlei, three gill nets totalling 120m removed from Langvlei, 40m set line (illegal method) with numerous 70mm hooks and three vessels linked to the gill nets confiscated."

http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news/News/General/146896/SANParks-tangle-gill-net-owners (http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news/News/General/146896/SANParks-tangle-gill-net-owners)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Willie on September 18, 2015, 07:23:09 AM
Well done to them  (clap)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on September 16, 2016, 09:59:34 AM
What is happening in Knysna, have the Leeries started biting? If all works out as planned this thread is going to heat up like a napalm strike.  :hnthnt: :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Psy on September 18, 2016, 12:18:58 AM
Hulle se jy trek weer suid kaap toe!?

Wat het nou gebeur?

:)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on September 18, 2016, 08:15:29 AM
Kaap is te besig vir ons en Knysna sal altyd huis bly. Ek het werk by T&B gekry.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Charles on September 18, 2016, 09:47:55 AM
Welcome home!!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on September 18, 2016, 11:09:05 AM
Dankie Charles.  :yipee:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Lofty on September 18, 2016, 01:32:38 PM
Eish,I want to move back to Mosselbay too... :cry: :blush: :clwn
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on September 18, 2016, 02:07:34 PM
Cape Town is not for everyone. I'm a small town person and even Knysna gets too busy for me sometimes.  :hehe:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Psy on September 19, 2016, 04:54:16 AM
Eish,I want to move back to Mosselbay too... :cry: :blush: :clwn

where u Lofty?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mike63 on September 19, 2016, 09:05:20 AM
Hi
Got the tip to check this thread out and I do have a question (I have not read every post). Is it possible to catch anything in Knysna using artificial lures? :dunno:


I will by in Knysna pm 13/11 to am 16/11 and hope to do some fishing. First time in SA and really need some pointers (and I prefer to fish with lures).


The lures I am bringing are http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=21459.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=21459.0) it would be much appreciated if You could give advise on what I should use.



Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on September 19, 2016, 09:16:08 AM
We catch almost everything on Lures. We seldom use bait. The Lagoon has excellent Garrick and Cob (Provided the idiots did not take everything out of the water when the Garricks went to spawn in KZN during winter - this happens every year. They keep everything they catch and less and less fish return to Knysna)

Lures is the way to go - try to remove the treble hooks and use single hooks. Less damage to the fish and easy to release.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mike63 on September 19, 2016, 10:23:16 AM
Thanks RobinF!


I will go to the anglershop and ask where/when[size=78%] [/size][/size]to fish.[size=78%]

Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Lofty on September 19, 2016, 03:18:05 PM
Eish,I want to move back to Mosselbay too... :cry: :blush: :clwn

where u Lofty?
I'm in Cape Town,but I think you might be thinking of the other Lofty that also lives in Mosselbay...?I also lived there...Lofty is just one of my old nicknames
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on September 19, 2016, 04:44:33 PM
Thanks RobinF!


I will go to the anglershop and ask where/whento fish.
[size=78%]

Go to the store called Breezers (Do NOT go to Grant's sports). Breezers will not only help you with what to use where, but they will help you to fish for the species that are most abundant. (Rule 1 - to catch fish, you must fish for what you know is there)[/size]
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on September 19, 2016, 05:41:49 PM
Thanks RobinF!


I will go to the anglershop and ask where/whento fish.
[size=78%]

Go to the store called Breezers (Do NOT go to Grant's sports). Breezers will not only help you with what to use where, but they will help you to fish for the species that are most abundant. (Rule 1 - to catch fish, you must fish for what you know is there)[/size]
100% correct. By that time I would be settled in and will also post updates on where the fish are biting. I am taking the bus back to Knysna tomorrow morning.  :yipee:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on September 19, 2016, 07:06:46 PM
Thanks RobinF!


I will go to the anglershop and ask where/whento fish.
[size=78%]

Go to the store called Breezers (Do NOT go to Grant's sports). Breezers will not only help you with what to use where, but they will help you to fish for the species that are most abundant. (Rule 1 - to catch fish, you must fish for what you know is there)[/size]
100% correct. By that time I would be settled in and will also post updates on where the fish are biting. I am taking the bus back to Knysna tomorrow morning.  :yipee:

Don't take a bus back, go to the lagoon and catch a bus!!  w;k
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on September 19, 2016, 08:51:30 PM
Robin, my +10kg leerie is waiting for me...  :sreel:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: RobinF on September 20, 2016, 05:20:32 AM
Robin, my +10kg leerie is waiting for me...  :sreel:

Oh yes, that fish was caught by Connor when it was 8Kg.... :hehe:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: jfrique2 on November 17, 2016, 06:46:19 AM
Hi All


Any news on whats happening in the lagoon lately? I havnt been in a few months?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on November 17, 2016, 06:50:23 AM
There are some small Leeries around but the action should start picking up. Grunters and Kob have been caught so the fish are here. I also have not fished in ages but I am planning to go this weekend and give an update next week.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: jfrique2 on November 17, 2016, 07:04:27 AM
Thanks bud... ill be there for a week from the 25th.


Any news if there are any flatfish and toothies around i wouldnt mind getting stretched on the big tackle aswell.


Thanks for the willingness to share.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on November 27, 2016, 02:22:28 PM
I finally managed to go for a throw today. I did not catch anything but it was great to be next to the lagoon with my spinning rod again. The water was quite clear and warm. I had one chase but the fish did not commit. Next time!  :hnthnt: :grk:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: WalkersKiller on November 29, 2016, 08:56:06 AM
Keep fishing bru  :tite
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on December 03, 2016, 06:00:11 PM
My son nagged me the whole day to go fishing so I took him this afternoon. He has not fished a lot but he is a natural. Just check his casting action. We did not catch anything but it was awesome to spend time with him. He is now hooked on fishing and I think he is going to out fish his old man soon. I am so Blessed.  w;k  :fshn: :grk:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Charles on December 04, 2016, 07:26:14 AM
Thanks for sharing Hermann, shees that water is crystal clear!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on December 04, 2016, 07:34:45 AM
Thanks for sharing Hermann, shees that water is crystal clear!
Yes, the water was clear and it might be the reason why we did not catch anything.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: John F on December 04, 2016, 08:03:50 AM
Great stuff Hemann!!!! Building awsome memories...

This is a GREAT pic mate!!!!!
(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4707.0;attach=142315;image)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on January 22, 2017, 05:51:48 PM
As per my previous report back, my son recently took up fishing. Robinf then have him a custom spinning rod paired with a shimano Sienna 2500. The Leeries had lock jaw and they young man got despondent because he dearly wanted to catch a fish.
Today we went to try for Striped Mullet. Fishing was very slow at first with no Mullet in sight. The Grunters were tailing all around us but we did not have the right bait to target them.

We then moved to another spot and I immediatly noticed more life in the water. We had Mullet feeding on his bait but missed the fish every time. On the fourth cast a big one moved in and I was really hoping this one would stick. We were watching it like hawks and then suddenly it took the bait with a huge splash. I knew it was a big fish when it took about 50m of line on its first run.
I had to calm my son down a couple of times because the excitment was starting to get the better of him.  :hehe: I told him to be patient and play the fish. If it wants to run let it and keep the rod tip high. After about 10 minutes he had the fish at our feet and it was my turn to try and stay calm.  :blush: It was huge and the second biggest one I have seen.

We quickly measured it and took photos before we revived it and released it to fight another day. It measured 59cm and according to fishweights it weighed 3.06kg. It was really fat and it is possible that it could have weighed more.

I am so proud of my boy and I think he is now hooked on fishing for life. Well done my boy!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: FishStyx on January 22, 2017, 06:30:19 PM
Fantastic fish... You must be really prod of him Hermann.


Please describe the rig and bait. Iv'e never targeted one before. They have always targeted me, trying to take me out in suicide missions when I've ventured into their territory in my boat.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on January 22, 2017, 06:42:10 PM
The rig is nothing special. It is basically a home made float made from 3mm thick plastic the size of a credit card. Stick foam to one side and attach white bread to the opposite side. I keep the bread in place with some elastic. One end gets a short 5cm trace with a no. 6 hook. The leader is attached to the other end and voila. The bread serves as chum and it is awesome to see the fish come in to feed at the surface and the water explodes as it takes the baited hook.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: FishStyx on January 22, 2017, 07:02:36 PM
Cool... so a bit of squashed up bread on the hook?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on January 22, 2017, 07:09:35 PM
Yes white bread but I don't like to squash it too much, it needs to float a bit and not hang straight down. They give an amazing fight on light tackle.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: FishStyx on January 22, 2017, 07:12:01 PM
Yeah, they are really strong fish. They have a serious motor in that tail of theirs. And the fact that they can jump so far and high must make them a wonderful target species.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: isivuba on January 22, 2017, 07:13:57 PM
OMW that's the biggest mullet I've seen caught  :shk . Lekka fun for the young man to catch and makes a nice profile pic. :win:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on January 22, 2017, 07:26:02 PM
Thanks Mike. I am so proud of him. He has been spinning his arms off but the Leeries have eluded him. I think he is going to become a Mullet catching fanatic.  :hehe:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: colin on January 22, 2017, 08:40:48 PM
 :cgrts:  that is the biggest mullet I have ever seen  :win: :toppie:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: REEFMAN on January 23, 2017, 06:59:38 AM
Nice fish! Congrats to the lightie!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Half-Pint on January 23, 2017, 07:54:16 AM
YOH! :shk That is a proper mullet!


Congrats Hermann!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Waars_die_Vis on January 23, 2017, 09:52:21 AM
Yeah, they are really strong fish. They have a serious motor in that tail of theirs. And the fact that they can jump so far and high must make them a wonderful target species.


Pound for Pound, a Mullet is probably one of the strongest fighters.  :happ: :happ: :happ: :happ:




 :cgrts:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: WalkersKiller on January 23, 2017, 11:35:40 AM
Absolutely awesome!!!!!! Well done to him!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on January 23, 2017, 12:02:29 PM
Thanks guys, I'll let him read your comments because it will mean a lot to him. He is already planning our next session.  :hehe:  :fshn:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: CRANKMAN on January 23, 2017, 02:15:49 PM
That smile says it all.  :cgrts: Brilliant.

I think it is safe to say that you have a fishing partner for life now.


Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on March 11, 2017, 01:17:36 PM
A Whaleshark got beached in the lagoon and the NSRI and community pulled in to save it. I hope the shark survives the ordeal. It is the first time that I hear of a Whaleshark along this part of the coast and in the lagoon nogal.  :shk
Well done to all involved.

http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news/News/General/184502/Update-Whale-shark-beaches (http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news/News/General/184502/Update-Whale-shark-beaches)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on March 12, 2017, 12:17:03 PM
It seems like the death of the shark was just a rumour and it is still in the lagoon.  :yipee:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 13, 2017, 08:27:06 AM
Wow a Whaleshark in the lagoon, awesome  :happ: :shk
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: FishStyx on March 13, 2017, 09:08:58 AM
I saw one in the estuary at Linene once... It was magnificent.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on March 13, 2017, 03:49:30 PM
Unfortunately the Whaleshark died today. It is suspected that the cold water as well as stress is the cause of death. There was also prop damage to the shark after a boat has hit her. Sad news but everyone involved in the rescue attempt did what they could to save her. 
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: FishStyx on March 13, 2017, 04:07:52 PM
 :vio  Sad indeed.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 13, 2017, 04:33:17 PM
Thats a shame...
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 03, 2017, 10:30:42 PM
 :shk I have never seen a wind prediction for our area like this before. I wish for less wind and more rain as it is scary dry at the moment.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on June 04, 2017, 09:08:40 PM
Herman that makes me home sick .

I remember storms in the early 80s with nearly 100kmh .

Batton down, take your boat out if you can double check mooring lines.

There will be some boat damage in  the lagoon.

I miss it.

My dad had 8 boats on the lagoon and nights like this we would sit on the slipway in his Bakkie.
Watching every boat swinging and pulling at their moorings.

Many years later I lost my dive boat on night like this.

Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: FishStyx on June 04, 2017, 09:48:31 PM
http://www.stormchasing.co.za/cape-braces-massive-winter-storm/ (http://www.stormchasing.co.za/cape-braces-massive-winter-storm/)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: colin on June 05, 2017, 07:09:24 AM
Well Capetonians , batten down the hatches :cnfzd  , buy a 5 man bottle of OBS :frid w;k , and let the dams fill   :happ: :happ: .  :toppie:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on June 06, 2017, 08:21:30 PM
We want photos tomorrow.


Be safe don't be on the water.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: ianf on June 07, 2017, 06:57:34 AM
They say rain in Cape Town is so rare, that when they do get it, the give everyone the day off work, and the schools close
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 07, 2017, 09:13:46 AM
Well, the storm has reached us and is gaining strength. It is a warm bergwind and there are currently 7 fires raging in the area. The N2 between Plett and Knysna is closed. A fire in a plantation is raging out of control in gail force winds and houses are being evacuated. No air support due to high winds. Please keep the effected people in your prayers. I'll keep you updated.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: FishStyx on June 07, 2017, 09:16:06 AM
Let's hope the rain gets there quickly to douse those fires.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 07, 2017, 02:27:21 PM
It is total chaos over here. People are being evacuated by boat from Belvidere and Lake Brenton. Fires are raging on the Western Head, Belvidere, Brenton on Sea, Phantom pass, both sides of the N2 at the White Bridge, Backwaters, Leeuwenbosch... Please keep us in your prayers.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: bassbug on June 07, 2017, 03:39:53 PM
 :pray: :corrct:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 07, 2017, 05:50:28 PM
We managed to evacuate our house just in time. Grabbed my famile and left. I don't know if anyghing is going to left standing. I estimate that close to a hundred houses have burned down so far.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: FishStyx on June 07, 2017, 06:16:00 PM
That's terrible news Herman. Hope you and your family are safe.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 07, 2017, 06:22:03 PM
 Thanks. We are safe for now but the whole town is surrounded by fire. +60km/h winds are not helping at all.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on June 07, 2017, 06:45:19 PM
Wow Herman that is hectic!

Please keep us updated if you guys are ok.

In which area do you stay.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 07, 2017, 07:13:17 PM
 Hannes, in Welbedacht. But is is now burning in the Heights an main road.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: colin on June 07, 2017, 09:07:59 PM
Hope the CT rain gets to you soon , :toppie:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 07, 2017, 11:53:34 PM
We are safe and our house has made it. Praise the Lord.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: ianf on June 08, 2017, 12:20:21 AM
Glad to hear you guys are OK, and that your house is still there.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: colin on June 08, 2017, 06:43:44 AM
Great news SAfish , so sad for those who lost lives and their homes . :toppie:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: REEFMAN on June 08, 2017, 06:59:16 AM
Jeepers what a harrowing experience! Thank God you're all ok!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Half-Pint on June 08, 2017, 07:32:38 AM
Thank goodness Hermann! I cannot imagine what you guys must be going through down there
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: John F on June 08, 2017, 07:42:05 AM
Glad to hear Hermann!!!! Eish... that must have been terrifying!!!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: REEFMAN on June 08, 2017, 07:46:41 AM
So Hermann... relief to know you guys are all ok. On a lighter note, I need to ask the question... when you evacuated, did you take your fishing gear?  :hehe:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: John F on June 08, 2017, 07:52:24 AM
:hehe: Reefz glad you popped the pressure!!!! It crossed my mind but didn't want to sound too paranoid with the fishing thing.... I'm sure Hermannn must have a bunker where he keeps his gear.... if not maybe you should build one H!!!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 08, 2017, 10:41:18 AM
 :hyst: I did not have time. We had 5 minutes and only grabbed passports, documents and a few clothes. Having said that, when we got back home and everything were intact I actually wanted to hug my fishing gear. The adrenalin is still pumping as there are still spot fires around us. Certain parts of the town is still on fire. A couple of friend of ours have lost everything.  :cry:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: MIKE PIKE on June 08, 2017, 11:00:16 AM
Great to see you and the family are all safe  :Like: .. terrible to see the destruction and loss of property , lives in your area  :-(
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: REEFMAN on June 08, 2017, 11:59:49 AM
Certain parts of the town is still on fire. A couple of friend of ours have lost everything.  :cry:

Oh my word, that's terrible man!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Marthin on June 08, 2017, 01:04:52 PM
Videos I have are too large. The one I saw this morning of the aftermath puts things in perspective
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 08, 2017, 04:30:04 PM
Certain parts of the town is still on fire. A couple of friend of ours have lost everything.  :cry:

Oh my word, that's terrible man!
I have also heard that a work relared friend and his wife and young son passed away yesterday when they got trapped by the fire on their farm. So tragic.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Charles on June 08, 2017, 05:45:28 PM
Indeed a testing time. Glad you are OK Hermann. The tragedy in Knysna, Plett and surrounds is terrible.

Our house and garden had some wind damage in Mosselbay.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 10, 2017, 02:22:31 PM
Please pry for the Garden Route. There are fires burning all over the place. George, Sedgefield, Plett etc. We are experiencing strong winds again and all the fire lines have flared up again. So far there are 408 formal and 200 informal houses that have burned down and they have only surveyed 75% of the area. I personally know of another 6 that burned down in Brenton today. There were people caught setting fires in the George area.  :unhap
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 10, 2017, 03:09:43 PM
This an aerial map of Knysna Heights. The houses with the black crosses have burned down. My house is in the middle far left of the map. The sad part is that it is only one of the town's suburbs.  :cry:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: MIKE PIKE on June 10, 2017, 07:47:28 PM
 :shk terrible  too see this. :-(

 
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Charles on June 11, 2017, 08:57:22 AM
Complete devastation. An utter tragedy. Our prayers will be heard.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 12, 2017, 07:49:03 AM
This is so sad...  :-(
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 15, 2017, 10:30:06 AM
We woke up this morning with another strong wind blowing. I heard something outside and almost crapped myself when I saw a fire truck outside my house. Someone called them and reported a flare-up in our development but we could see nothing. We did report a flare-up on the other side of the Salt River, it was not too big but you never know what is going to happen in these windy conditions. Everyone seems to be a bit more on edge this morning.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 15, 2017, 06:04:39 PM
Some more aerial photos of the surounding area.  :cry:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155396697743320&id=729853319
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on October 05, 2018, 08:54:06 AM
I know the last few posts here was about the terrible fires and it was so sad to see my childhood town take a beating like that, but may I bring this discussion back to fishing and boating.

So I am coming to Knysna for a week in December to visit all my old fishing spots.

I am towing my New to me boat down and have booked a place wiith a mooring at the Knysna quays. I t will mostly be myself and Mandy and we cant launch and retrieve multiple times per day.

What I want to know is do I have to register specifically for the Knysna lagoon or is my inland SR number good enough.

This will be my first long distance tow of a biggish boat so any comments on that will also be appreciated.

The boat is not a typical fishing boat it is a real Vaalriver speed boat but it works for fishing.



Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: L Hooker on October 05, 2018, 12:54:40 PM
I know the last few posts here was about the terrible fires and it was so sad to see my childhood town take a beating like that, but may I bring this discussion back to fishing and boating.

So I am coming to Knysna for a week in December to visit all my old fishing spots.

I am towing my New to me boat down and have booked a place wiith a mooring at the Knysna quays. I t will mostly be myself and Mandy and we cant launch and retrieve multiple times per day.

What I want to know is do I have to register specifically for the Knysna lagoon or is my inland SR number good enough.

This will be my first long distance tow of a biggish boat so any comments on that will also be appreciated.

The boat is not a typical fishing boat it is a real Vaalriver speed boat but it works for fishing.


Hi Mal hannes, for Knysna estuary you need to get an estuary permit can't remember the costs however you can get it at the Parksboard offices at the old Tapa's jetty, The permit costs are calculated based on the size of motor on your boat (HP) I will also be down in Knysna over Dec, will be testing out my little alu boat :-)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on October 06, 2018, 02:31:42 PM
I know the last few posts here was about the terrible fires and it was so sad to see my childhood town take a beating like that, but may I bring this discussion back to fishing and boating.

So I am coming to Knysna for a week in December to visit all my old fishing spots.

I am towing my New to me boat down and have booked a place wiith a mooring at the Knysna quays. I t will mostly be myself and Mandy and we cant launch and retrieve multiple times per day.

What I want to know is do I have to register specifically for the Knysna lagoon or is my inland SR number good enough.

This will be my first long distance tow of a biggish boat so any comments on that will also be appreciated.

The boat is not a typical fishing boat it is a real Vaalriver speed boat but it works for fishing.


Hi Mal hannes, for Knysna estuary you need to get an estuary permit can't remember the costs however you can get it at the Parksboard offices at the old Tapa's jetty, The permit costs are calculated based on the size of motor on your boat (HP) I will also be down in Knysna over Dec, will be testing out my little alu boat :-)
You are 100% correct, the fee is based on the size of your motor. If you guys want I'll go to the PB office and find out what the fees are. I am going to Still Bay in December but will spend some time at home as well. If you guys are keen we can get togerther for a mini UA social?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: L Hooker on October 08, 2018, 10:21:39 AM
Hi Herman, will drop you a call when im down, would be great to catchup
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on November 03, 2018, 09:13:41 PM
The extend of the fires in the Garden Route is just mind boggling!  :shk  :cry:
Please keep the fire fighters in your prayers.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Visenvryheid on November 03, 2018, 11:25:42 PM
Ja ous, if anyone has any prayers to spare, send them our way!!!!  Touch and go..
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: colin on November 04, 2018, 05:31:45 AM
These fires seem too widespread to be coincidence or natural ,  :dunno: (bat .    :toppie:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on November 04, 2018, 09:19:01 AM
These fires seem too widespread to be coincidence or natural ,  :dunno: (bat .    :toppie:
Colin, an electrical cable sparked due to high wind and caused the first fire. The others were caused by lightning. Yesterday the garden refuse area in Knysna was set allight by some brainless person.  :unhap

This is the current situation:
https://www.knysnaplettherald.com/News/Article/General/sunday-morning-garden-route-fires-201811040838 (https://www.knysnaplettherald.com/News/Article/General/sunday-morning-garden-route-fires-201811040838)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on November 04, 2018, 02:33:56 PM
Update on the fire:
This fire is 4 times bigger in area than last year's fire. It has covered an area of 80 000 hectares with a circumference of 250km. It is massive. A sawmill burned down and unfortunately it is also a place structural timber is CCA (Cromated Copper Arsenate) treated. When a place like this burns it gives off a lot of smoke due to the sawdust but it also releases the Arsenic into the air which can pose a danger to all forms of life. A fire burning in a pine plantation is scary, check this video that was posted on FB.
https://www.facebook.com/717544198/posts/10158264183064199/ (https://www.facebook.com/717544198/posts/10158264183064199/)

I know this is not fishing related but I think it is worth sharing as the Garden Route is one of our most beautiful holiday destinations.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Visenvryheid on November 04, 2018, 10:08:21 PM
We survived! Thank the Almighty and all the angels! And the firefighter who saved our asses!
Fires not man made,except for dooses lighting rubbish on bergwind days in knysna?!
Was big lightning storm on tuesday afternoon/evening that lit up every mountain peak from George to Jbay.. We watched the show which came after a few days of bergwinds and bush was tinder, thought oh no hier kom k@k. Then when trees come down on powerlines in stormwinds they light fires. Last years ones were mainly due to that. Our one that burnt around us last year (thank GOD!) was started by eskom lines along with fires on our property under our lines which came down. Luckily wind was not gale from the north this year which is the wind that drops trees on the lines which generally run E-W on the coast. Last year was 160km/h north wind in the middle of drought..at 5 in morning. oops. Worst case scenario. This year winds more favourable thank God.

It was toooo close last night though, all going pear shaped in these neck of the woods. eish..firefighters doing sterling job! We had inferno raging across the road from us with wind behind it, but these ous know their stuff! One fire here (out of hundreds) was caused by embers from land clearing and stump burning but was in a fire break that went up, fanned by gale SW's and made no difference as behind it was an entire mountain range glowing, fires bearing down started by lightning deep in the wilderness. Shame the animals and birds are the hardest hit, springtime here..The birds and buck were streaming out of the mountains the last 24 hours. Leopards and elephants I hope survived? We saw old ballie buckbucks (2 big boys) last night that looked me at eye level at 6ft tall..they were fleeing to the coast..The land snails were all cooked, the snakes and skinks all baked..very bad for wildlife.. My resident fish eagles and flying fox bats all gone since the fires started, they knew..everything else has babies or is on the nest..Already our resident hornbills and lourie numbers are down 90% after last years fires. It is such a shame..Shame our local wildlife rehad centre got raised last night, they will need donations to get going again for sure, the fire still looked out of control down that way this afternoon.. I am crying inside for the animals..they have been hit so badly by this fire.

The big issue is all the pine plantations. The plantation managers on the ground though are lifesavers..to quote one this morning who sacrificed a plantation to save our farm, telling his firefighters to abandon the fireline and to pull out and move ahead take out all the plantation in a backburn and save all of us upwind,"F these pines, its just paper, go save those properties and our offices!" he was shouting at them

Sorry for the ramble, have not slept..or eaten. If anyone who cares could pray for rain, we need it bad! A big soaking rain that will douse stumps underground! If a strong north wind picks up before rain this fire is going get a whole lot worse. Lucky wind has been NE-SW-NE-SW-NE-SW so fire relatively easy to control for how out of control it is..weather predictions look good though.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on November 05, 2018, 11:38:36 AM
Praying for my Hometown!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on November 05, 2018, 09:51:47 PM
We had some welcoming rain during the day which helped a lot. I have measured 20mm.  :yipee:
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Visenvryheid on November 05, 2018, 11:27:10 PM
Nice rain ey ;)
And more to come, fires still smouldering..So we need it!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on November 06, 2018, 10:06:59 AM
Nice rain ey ;)
And more to come, fires still smouldering..So we need it!
The rain helped a lot. Where do you stay?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Visenvryheid on November 06, 2018, 10:31:04 AM
I'm quite a fair section East of you guys, past Plett, in the thick of it.. Welcome rain this morning again!
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on November 06, 2018, 06:07:51 PM
I work on your side of Plett close to the Keurbooms strand turn off.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Sidd on December 10, 2018, 03:24:19 PM
I did the Otter trail the week of the 6th of November. On day 2 we past by some smoldering trees. The fire caused quite a bit of damage on that portion of the trail.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on December 10, 2018, 04:03:10 PM
Yes in late November I went through Knysna from Uniondale and the devastation in the forests was unbelievable.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Sidd on January 11, 2019, 10:07:24 AM
A friend of mine move to Sedgefield about a year ago. He wants to start fishing off his kayak on Swartvlei and progress to the Knysna lagoon at some stage.


WRT Swartvlei , when is the best time to fish i.e. on the incoming or outgoing tide?


Would that apply to the Knysna lagoon as well?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on January 11, 2019, 01:52:55 PM
I don't know about Swartvlei but fish the Knysna lagoon with the tide. Move from spot to spot up river as the tide comes in and out again when the tide goes out. It also depends on the wayer temperature, if the incoming sea water is cold the fish higher up river where the water is warmer. Good water temp for Kob is arround 19-21 degrees. Look out for Leeries smashing bait fish on the surface.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on March 15, 2019, 10:20:30 AM
Once again the Knysna lagoon is un-safe for recreational activities due to the high Ecoli count. This is becoming a regular thing and the authorities will have to step up their efforts to save the lagoon. The lagoon plays a huge roll in the town's tourist industry. It is sad that one of the best lagoons in the country is in such a bad state.  :cry:  :unhap

https://www.knysnaplettherald.com/News/Article/General/knysna-estuary-e-e-e-e-u-u-w-2-201903130301 (https://www.knysnaplettherald.com/News/Article/General/knysna-estuary-e-e-e-e-u-u-w-2-201903130301)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 12, 2019, 05:22:11 PM
The Featherbed Paddle Cruiser sprung a leak last night and they found it half submerged this morning. I hope they can get it up and running again soon. Here is a link to the NSRI article:
https://www.nsri.org.za/2019/04/paddle-cruiser-taking-water-knysna/ (https://www.nsri.org.za/2019/04/paddle-cruiser-taking-water-knysna/)
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: FishStyx on April 14, 2019, 09:05:02 AM
Any more news Hermann? Did they get her to dry land?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 14, 2019, 09:26:22 AM
I don't know but will go and check later.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 14, 2019, 11:11:55 AM
She is stable and salvage operations are continuing.

Update: She is still layning in the same position and there are a lot of salvage equipment on the jetty next to her. I'll keep you updated when the situation changes.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on April 17, 2019, 05:52:08 PM
Update media release:

Paddle Cruiser refloated
 
Knysna, 14h00, 17 April 2019
 
Contractors working on the salvage of Knysna’s Paddle Cruiser successfully refloated the stricken vessel at around 11:00 a.m. today.
The boat, which is owned and operated by the Featherbed Co., was found partially capsized at its moorings early on Friday morning, 12 April, with its port (left) hull underwater and resting on the floor of the Estuary. No one was on board at the time of the accident.
The salvage operation began almost immediately, with steps to prevent pollution of the Estuary being the first priority.
The salvors righted the boat using massive inflatable air bags.
Paddle Cruiser will now lie under observation at its moorings for 24 hours. It will then be dry-docked for a full investigation into the cause of the sinking before clean-up and restoration can begin.
 
ENDS

Martin Hatchuel
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on June 26, 2019, 04:46:39 PM
So where do you fish in Knysna during cold water conditions.
The current water temp is 14 to 15 degrees.

I thought it might warm up higher up but I can't find warmer water all the way up to St James, actually it is colder when I pass under the train bridge.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 26, 2019, 07:21:29 PM
I have not fished in ages so I can't really give you a really solid answer. We had a lfair bit of rain and the water washing down from the forest is also cold. I would try the shallower areas as well as the area past the white bridge. Of the sea temperature is warmer try fishing closer to the heads on a high tide.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on June 26, 2019, 07:40:50 PM
This place is still the most beautiful in the country!

Even on a cold night that bait comes back exactly as it went in.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on June 27, 2019, 08:50:10 AM
I agree, I make time every morning to take in the beauty of our area and I am so grateful to be able to call this place my home.
Fishing is tough this time of the year but the angling club have a skins competition on this weekend and it will be interessting to see what the guys manage to catch.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on January 01, 2020, 02:47:37 PM
Just spent some time fishing in the lagoon.

Fun was had al round mostly with small hooks chasing Littles.

One nice cob of 4 kg.

Most sucess ever in catching mullet.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on January 02, 2020, 07:10:42 AM
 (clap) Lekker Hannes.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on January 03, 2020, 07:06:05 AM
What is the regulations around catching mullet with a scoop net and spotlight?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on January 03, 2020, 07:33:16 PM
If you go by the regulations for using a cast net it would be illegal as you are only allowed to use a net from sunrise to sunset.
What bait did you use for the mullets?
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on January 03, 2020, 10:56:27 PM
We used brown bread on small hooks off the jetty in Thesens Island where we stayed.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: SAfish on January 04, 2020, 06:45:11 AM
 :tkx: I have been using white bread but with less and less success in recent years. I know the guys also catch them on pilchard.
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Visenvryheid on January 04, 2020, 12:25:18 PM
A scoop net you don't cast so don't see how it could be defined as cast netting. In anycase I think the regulations are in place to stop non mullet species being targeted at night and to make it easier to enforce the regulations as to bait collection as not much monitoring happens at night, not that there is any monitoring or enforcement during the day!And I don't get it either as it is far harder to cast net mullet at night when they turn off feeding and shoal together. Any movement against the horizon or silhouette against the light and they spook, uber skittish at night.

I wonder what the legality of scooping a fish in a handnet is anyway, as the law states only rod and line, or castnet, or or etc..Wonder what the bail would be set at for all those kids at the coast in the holidays scooping up klipvisses in the rockpools with those little cheapo colourful nets that we all played with. LOL

OK reread the regualtions again, need a lawyer to confirm this, as just my opinion and I am not a lawyer. But I have been right about the applications of many laws in the past where lawyers missed it originally..anyway..

You would not be able to scoop mullet on cast net permit as it is not a cast net, neither is a scoopnet's use in anyway defined by the castnet law which very clearly defines what constitutes a castnet. Neither would you be able to scoop up fish on your recreational permit which only allows rod and/or line and hook. But if one had a recreational aquarium license, there does not seem to be anything saying that you cant collect some fish with a scoopnet, nor anything saying that you can't do it at night, so long that it is less than 5 fish per species which would override the 50 mullet per day limit as no exception is listed unlike the recreational 10 fish per day accumulative limit. You'd have to have a big enough bucket so they dont die or you'd be breaking the law. That is my opinion..
Title: Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
Post by: Mal Hannes on January 04, 2020, 01:56:54 PM
Photo of my cobbie.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal