Author Topic: Tell me about your trout outfit  (Read 5752 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Tell me about your trout outfit
« on: July 28, 2010, 03:32:23 PM »
What is your favorite trout hunting outfit?


Myne:


Rod - TFO 5/6 weight


Fly Line - Cortland 444 Weight Forward sinking


Small arbor fly reel, cant remember the name...  :oops:


I use siglon florocarbon 20cm 6lbs on the tippet.





And my go to flies are (Mrs Simpson, Walkers Killer and Hammels Killer)


Fly sizes from No 14 to No 6




I do a lot of float tube fishing for trout as well as some wading...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 09:19:22 AM by Gerhard »

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Tell me about your trout outfit
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 12:37:13 PM »
Mine would have to be my 5weight Hardy fly rod matched with Abu Garcia reel with floating line and 4lb Maxima leader, I love that outfit caught my biggest rainbow of 2.4kgs on it, although I think my leader was 6lb at the time...

My favourite flies, of which I have many, include: RAB, Yellow Humpey, DDD, Walkers Killer, Zulu, GRHE, Buzzer imitations and the Black Woolly Bugger with bead in front... this is a pic of the outfit below:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 12:38:44 PM by WalkersKiller »

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Tell me about your trout outfit
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 01:47:39 PM »
Rod: Shimano Super Ultegra 4 weight
Reel: Daiwa Lochmor
Fly line: Floating: Airflo Ridge. Intermediate: Airflo Clear
Leader: Rio 4x standard 9 foot, 5x tippet.
Go to flies: Peacock Dragonfly, Stuarts Damsel, GRHE, DDD, Stimulators and San Juan worms.
I like a 2 fly setup on stillwaters as well, usually the dragon on control with a small size 16 nymph on the point. Or a dry and dropper, DDD with a small nymph or worm suspended.

Offline Searaider

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 290
  • Cred: 37
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Randburg Gauteng
Re: Tell me about your trout outfit
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 06:36:26 PM »
Signature plus 5 weight fly rod
Orvis 3/4  Clearwater reel
Cortland 444 floating,intermediate and sinking 6weight
bloodworm dragonfly larva are some of my favorites

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Tell me about your trout outfit
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 04:29:13 PM »
2wt Orvis + battenkill reel + floating and intermediate lines
5wt loomis + system 2 reel + floating and sinking lines
8wt sage +  Lamson reel + intermediate, sinking and sinking tip

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Tell me about your trout outfit
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 06:07:48 PM »
For trout it's a Xplorer Guide #5, Stealth SLA with Airflo Super Supple floater. I like to fish nymphs as much as I can, usualy an olive GRHE type fly with or without a bit of flash or a PTN. Otherwise it's olive or tan red eye damsels or strip leech type flies. And when all else fails out comes the #8 black woolybugger.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Tell me about your trout outfit
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 06:16:53 PM »
My fav outfit is my 3wt explorer guide 2 series rod, 3wt guide series reel, loaded with 4wt airflow polyfuse XT double taper.
Overloaded like that it's 1, 2 and there is 25meter of flyline out.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal