Author Topic: Grinders - General maintenance  (Read 5864 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Kamesh

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 32
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Westville, South Africa
Grinders - General maintenance
« on: December 29, 2011, 10:45:55 PM »
Hi guys

I bought myself Ultegra Ci4 14000 on boxing day and finally got a chance to test it today :happ: . I've loaded it with 600m 48lb Okuma Oxma braid and paired it with a BM G3 6-8oz rod that i had lying around, the rod has been converted for a grinder(not very impressed with it so it will be changed soon).

My questions are related to the care of the braid itself. When I fish with a multiplier, I come home, rinse it under a tap, dry it off and spray with tackle protector and pack it away.  With a multiplier your braid backing won't get wet unless you've been pulled into it by a fish, of which I haven't as yet. I rinsed my new grinder when i got back today and the thing that concerns me, is the wet braid rotting at some stage.

Have any of you guys experienced your braid rotting? How often do you change braid? What do you do when you get home with your salt sprayed grinder?

Look forward to your input  :uarocks

Cheers

Kamesh

 

Offline 30.06

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 23
  • Cred: 1
  • Location: Durban
Re: Grinders - General maintenance
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 07:42:21 AM »
Hi Kamesh , I have not heard of braid rotting. Of greater concern would be the corrosion of the spool by the wet braid.This needs to be constantly monitored.

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Grinders - General maintenance
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 09:02:36 AM »
Hi guys

I bought myself Ultegra Ci4 14000 on boxing day and finally got a chance to test it today :happ: . I've loaded it with 600m 48lb Okuma Oxma braid and paired it with a BM G3 6-8oz rod that i had lying around, the rod has been converted for a grinder(not very impressed with it so it will be changed soon).

My questions are related to the care of the braid itself. When I fish with a multiplier, I come home, rinse it under a tap, dry it off and spray with tackle protector and pack it away.  With a multiplier your braid backing won't get wet unless you've been pulled into it by a fish, of which I haven't as yet. I rinsed my new grinder when i got back today and the thing that concerns me, is the wet braid rotting at some stage.

Have any of you guys experienced your braid rotting? How often do you change braid? What do you do when you get home with your salt sprayed grinder?

Look forward to your input  :uarocks

Cheers

Kamesh

 


I service my reels after each and every trip. The very best investment you can make is get yourself a product like Salt Away. I spray my tackle after every outing when washing the boat, as well as double spray after a trip when I get home. That pulls all the salt off your tackle.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Grinders - General maintenance
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 09:24:36 AM »
I wouldn't worry too much about the braid rotting. I have had braid on one of my grinders for 3 years now and its been through a lot! No signs of rotting. All I do I tighten the drag up and soak in luke warm freshwater for a few hours then pop it on the draining rack for a day before putting it away.

I don't think braid can actually rot? Its not made from organic fibres so surely that would prevent rotting :dunno:

Offline Kamesh

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 32
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Westville, South Africa
Re: Grinders - General maintenance
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 10:10:14 AM »
Thanks guys

Offline Angler 1

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 225
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: cape town
Re: Grinders - General maintenance
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
hey half pint that mehod of soaking in water eish b this is what i heard dangerous , u see when we wade the reels just get splashed and doused heavy but by soaking them u give more time for water to penetrate even if it is fresh water , just my wo cents
 
IF YOU NOT LIVING LIFE ON THE EDGE YOU TAKING UP SPACE!!!!!

Offline Angler 1

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 225
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: cape town
Re: Grinders - General maintenance
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 07:06:44 PM »
i splash with fresh water then wd 40 the reel head to toe!
IF YOU NOT LIVING LIFE ON THE EDGE YOU TAKING UP SPACE!!!!!

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Grinders - General maintenance
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 08:11:19 PM »
Hey Don I donno maybe that is the case :dunno: as I said I've had my braid on there since 2009 and its still fine. This could be because as I said before I'm not sure if braid can actually rot? As far as I can see it being a synthetic material it shouldn't rot? :dunno:

Offline Angler 1

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 225
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: cape town
Re: Grinders - General maintenance
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 08:20:56 PM »
rottings no problrm i agree but rusting of the bearings is my concern with soaking the reel lol
IF YOU NOT LIVING LIFE ON THE EDGE YOU TAKING UP SPACE!!!!!

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Grinders - General maintenance
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 08:28:15 PM »
Ah ok I'm with you! It is a consideration but its working for me at the moment so Ill probably stick with it. Thanks for the heads up though

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal