0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
After 5 mins a pod of dolphin came past and i through my popper into the mix, 3 pops and i was on.Boat a nice 14kg YFT in about 3 mins, the sargossa and assasin teaching that fish a lesson.
WELL DONE!! Nice to see the snoek are there, it was very bad last year and has been bad up till now with very few guys targeting them.I see you have a 146 Raider, it must be the one I saw at the club on Saturday, I ran one for about five years, nice little boats and much drier than a SkiVee
"What was important was putting in the time and seeing out the turn of the tide which is when most of the guys usually give up and head off to search for fish in the deep. The rips and currents that attract the snoek move around through the morning as the tide drops and then pushes again so you constantly need to be aware of where the rips are and concentrate your efforts there. Snoek don't just feed at first light, they can be active throughout the day and 3 of our 5 fish came out in bright sunshine between 10am - 11.30am all on the surface so it goes to show if you put in the time you will be rewarded!"100% Mark, I have fished that stretch for many years(starting in the the days of Clark spoons and sprat feathers - no fillets )its especially important there as its a beach break and the banks are constantly changing from week to week, whereas if you go around the corner you have reef patches to work, same for Peace Cottage and up.If you arrive there at say 6-6:30 on the springs high the fishing is generally poor(especially in a low swell)......give it an hour or two and start looking for the drains and you often end up with 1-2 hrs of action. Depending on the waves I will often work the drains by doing big circles into 2m and out to 6m(the problem with this is if there are lots of boats around) WATCH THE WAVES!! I have got into a habit that as soon as a rod goes away I swing east and hit idle!If there are sprats getting clubbed it is generally in deeper water 8-12m - let the spoon sink a bit for snoek as more often than not bonnies will take it near the top.For some reason I have found the late afternoon/evening spring high can offer fireworks - drifting and throwing sprat spoons
Quote from: maganything on March 18, 2019, 07:40:46 AMAfter 5 mins a pod of dolphin came past and i through my popper into the mix, 3 pops and i was on.Boat a nice 14kg YFT in about 3 mins, the sargossa and assasin teaching that fish a lesson.Thanks for the report... I'm curious... Do YFT usually accompany the dolphin? Are you not worried about a dophin taking your popper?
Quote from: FishStyx on March 18, 2019, 07:45:32 AMQuote from: maganything on March 18, 2019, 07:40:46 AMAfter 5 mins a pod of dolphin came past and i through my popper into the mix, 3 pops and i was on.Boat a nice 14kg YFT in about 3 mins, the sargossa and assasin teaching that fish a lesson.Thanks for the report... I'm curious... Do YFT usually accompany the dolphin? Are you not worried about a dophin taking your popper?Correct, that is why guys chase the dolphins as the YFT swim with them, you will win the lotto before you hook a Dolphin.