0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Nice article, when I was fly fishing competively we were not allowed to use strike indicators, but could use a dropper fly, we were also not allowed to tie the New Zealand Rig that you showed. I knwo it makes no difference but just though I would mention it.A very effective method not just for yellows but also trout, especially browns.
Quote from: Fishing Adventures on November 03, 2011, 05:00:47 PMNice article, when I was fly fishing competively we were not allowed to use strike indicators, but could use a dropper fly, we were also not allowed to tie the New Zealand Rig that you showed. I knwo it makes no difference but just though I would mention it.A very effective method not just for yellows but also trout, especially browns.Any idea why that would be?? Really not being funny, just curious? Considering the norm is now czech nymphing in world competition? Does the new zealand rig over more benefits than a czech rig with say 3 flies?? Not Directed at mike in particular, but there maybe some competitive fly guys out there?
......does the mono, attached to the bend of the "point fly', not reduce your hookup rate.
If your point fly and control fly is swapped around. does the "point" fly then not move naturally, as it would have when it was at the point?
Reduce, probably. But stopping hookups entirely, definitely not. Fishing is very much a confidence thing, if it bugs you change the setup!! The rig Herman outlined above is a simple and effective way to fish a similar system without tying the point fly onto the bend. Remember nothing is carved in stone!