0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
This has now turned into an intense study of all the trout species of the world. i have started writing a thesis on trout throughout the globe which, in it's infancy, is standing at 62 pages. I have however completed my work on the Golden trout.I have ascertained that Golden trout, are in fact ONLY found in the northern parts of California. The three species of golden trout are:Kern River rainbow troutSacramento golden troutLittle Kern golden troutThey are all located in areas roughly 100km's apart and in closed systems, native to that part only. The Golden trout is also the State fish of California. If you want to catch these, you will have to travel to California. (I've done costing for the trip if any one is interested)I also attach a geographic layout of where you can find the various trout in California.
Quote from: wernerm on January 04, 2012, 01:06:34 AMThis has now turned into an intense study of all the trout species of the world. i have started writing a thesis on trout throughout the globe which, in it's infancy, is standing at 62 pages. I have however completed my work on the Golden trout.I have ascertained that Golden trout, are in fact ONLY found in the northern parts of California. The three species of golden trout are: Kern River rainbow troutSacramento golden troutLittle Kern golden troutThey are all located in areas roughly 100km's apart and in closed systems, native to that part only. The Golden trout is also the State fish of California. If you want to catch these, you will have to travel to California. (I've done costing for the trip if any one is interested)I also attach a geographic layout of where you can find the various trout in California.I think we are falling into the age old trap of trying to identify a fish based on a localised common name. The golden trout that you refer to in the picture does in fact occur in our waters, not to be confused with the "Albino" you get in Mpumalanga.Contact Wolf Avni, I cannot think of a better person than him to clear this up for us...and he will be of great help on your theses too
This has now turned into an intense study of all the trout species of the world. i have started writing a thesis on trout throughout the globe which, in it's infancy, is standing at 62 pages. I have however completed my work on the Golden trout.I have ascertained that Golden trout, are in fact ONLY found in the northern parts of California. The three species of golden trout are: Kern River rainbow troutSacramento golden troutLittle Kern golden troutThey are all located in areas roughly 100km's apart and in closed systems, native to that part only. The Golden trout is also the State fish of California. If you want to catch these, you will have to travel to California. (I've done costing for the trip if any one is interested)I also attach a geographic layout of where you can find the various trout in California.
Wulf have replied to me already that there are in fact no Golden trout in our waters. The confusion comes with the brown trout when fingerling looking like the Golden trout. I attach the photo's of the Golden trout and the brown juvenile.
Quote from: wernerm on January 04, 2012, 11:07:33 AMWulf have replied to me already that there are in fact no Golden trout in our waters. The confusion comes with the brown trout when fingerling looking like the Golden trout. I attach the photo's of the Golden trout and the brown juvenile.Great stuff thx. They look identical to me
So, would you like to share those costings for the California trip with us?
krissi,Pity you are so far away from Dullstroom as I have to dams I want to stock in the coming months.I would actually enjoy owning and working a trout hatchery.