Author Topic: Bot River Estuary frustration  (Read 9088 times)

Offline pawn

• Cred: 0
Bot River Estuary frustration
« on: March 07, 2011, 03:26:57 PM »
 :cnfzd

I am a bit of a newbie to the fishing world and find that as in business the "secrets" are hard to come by. We have accuired a place on the Bot River Estuary and have tried fishing diffrent times and tides, all to no avail. I have spoken to the locals and they tell me I am waisting my time. All we get is Gournards, striepies and every now and then a harder. Where does one find a fish of any decent size in the estuary? We have tried all types of bait all types of synthetic lures all with little success. The best option at a point was prawn but when the water rose the prawn banks vanished. How would one find a decent fish????? Is the fishing from the beach at the mouth any good???

Offline WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Cred: 365
  • Conservation First!
Re: Bot River Estuary frustration
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 03:44:21 PM »
 :welc: Pawn, I dont know anything about that river unfortunately but all I know is that perseverance pays off... Use natural baits and smaller hooks and keep moving along until you get bites... Once you find the bait fish you will find the bigger fish... I find it hard to believe that there are only Gurnard, Strepei and Harder in the estuary... The locals might be unwilling to share their spots with you... If those fish occur there are bound to be predatory fish around and the prawn banks should be home to some Grunter and Steenbras at high tide... Trying the river mouth could be a good option, all sorts of fish swim in and out of the rivers during the pushing tide... Hope that helps  :sml:

:tite

Offline SAfish

• Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 137
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 08:11:19 PM »
Pawn, I also don't know that area and I second the advice that WK gave you.
You can also go fishing with just a camera and binoculars.  :spinwheel: Take photos and steal with your eyes. Watch the other anglers carefully and always keep a look out for fish activity. Take notes and write down the time of day, tide and water conditions etc. Get yourself a decent map of the estuary and look specifically at the areas the locals fish at certain times of the day (remember the tide) and mark it on the map.
Look at the different natural baits that are present in certain areas and use them there. Do not fish with sand prawn on the mud banks and grassy areas, use the bait that you find there at spring low tide. Remember that the fish move in and out with the tide so try and fish close to the mouth at low tide and move up-stream as the tide push in.
Persevere and don't give up. It took me a couple of years to get my first decent fish in the lagoon here and I still don't know all the good spots. Whatever you do, don't give up and remember you cannot catch a fish if you don't have a line in the water.
Good luck and keep us posted.  :tite

Offline WalkersKiller

• Conservation First!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 08:24:16 AM »
You can also go fishing with just a camera and binoculars.  :spinwheel: Take photos and steal with your eyes. Watch the other anglers carefully and always keep a look out for fish activity. Take notes and write down the time of day, tide and water conditions etc. Get yourself a decent map of the estuary and look specifically at the areas the locals fish at certain times of the day (remember the tide) and mark it on the map.
Look at the different natural baits that are present in certain areas and use them there. Do not fish with sand prawn on the mud banks and grassy areas, use the bait that you find there at spring low tide. Remember that the fish move in and out with the tide so try and fish close to the mouth at low tide and move up-stream as the tide push in.
Persevere and don't give up. It took me a couple of years to get my first decent fish in the lagoon here and I still don't know all the good spots. Whatever you do, don't give up and remember you cannot catch a fish if you don't have a line in the water.
Good luck and keep us posted.  :tite
Pawn thats definitely the way to do it you should be catching nice fish soon bru!

Cred to you Herman  (clap)

Offline travelmember

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 48
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 09:51:35 AM »
Bot is not an easy fishery, but the fish are there. There are elf, leeries, kob and good mullet as well.  Not all the time and not everywhere, but they can be caught. If you really do not want to do the hard work and work out where and when (which I think is much more rewarding), then hire a guide. There is at least one who advertises in TCF.

Offline Hooked

• Cred: 16
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 04:13:51 PM »
Welcome to the lagoon.
There are a few fish in the lagoon but I wouldnt bother chasing them without a boat.
The slipway area has produced a few kob over the years.Biggest one I heard of was 15 kg's caught by my next door neighbours garden boy (we also have a house at the lagoon )Having said that I have never seen a fish landed over that side.
Best fishing is when the river mouth is open.You can get a " Bird watchers membership " in Fishershaven and that will give you access to Meerensee ( or used to ).Drive through Meerensee and you can wade to the channel.On a pushing tide  I have caught Leerie's there .Also seen quite a few steenies which at times you can sight cast too though never landed one.I believe the beach area in front of the lagoon can be quite productive at certain times of the year aswell.

Offline pawn

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 01:42:02 PM »
Hi all

Ta WK and travelmember, will use the advise. Unfortunately as Hooked pointed out the mouth is closed most often and does not allow the preditors in. That said it also does not allow those in out, therefore there should be large fish there. I do have a boat so with a fishfinder (which seems to indicate no fish, meybe I am just reading the thing wrong) so to get to and fro is not a problem. I suppose the thing is to find out what to fish and where and to stick to the formula. Hope to see a  :grk: shortly as I might try a little more trawling with poppers. Last weekend while towing skiers I noticed fish jumping at the slipway. I assumed the fish would more likely be at a quieter area. Would larger fish fetch the little ones so close to the human activity??? Anyway thanks again for the info.

Offline pawn

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 08:35:20 AM »
We pumped prawn on Saturday morning(hard work as the holes were there but the prawns were obviously on vacation) and saw schools of bait fish from 10cm to 25cm in size. We tried fishing Saturday afternoon as well as Sunday morning and late afternoon/ evening. I had a tug on my line and that was all, nothing, nothing, nothing. I used the fishfinder and saw............... nothing. I have downloaded the manual for my finder and will study it this week so I can see if I can change the settings for better results. I don't know which is more fustrating, fishing or Golf. Any advice will be greatly apreciated.

Offline travelmember

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 09:04:49 AM »
At least with golf you can take out your frustration - tee up an old ball, bring out the driver and moer the thing.
To be honest, with the changing seasons and tides at the moment, things will be a bit more challenging for a while. I would suggest really early morning (long time before sun up), anchored in a deeper channel next to where a shallower channel feeds in from the grass flats. Try and time it with a dropping tide. The larger fish should be feeding on the smaller fish and crustaceans in the shallows. As the water level drops (it may be a closed system but the tide will still effect it) the fish will pull into the channel.
Likewise fish a rising tide into the night by freelining your prawn into one of the channels. Try and coincide the trips with a stable barometer and when the flats are warm - a good still night, after a nice day with little wind etc.
In saying all that, looking at the long range forecast now, I would stick to golf - high winds, spring tides, equinox. etc.

Offline WalkersKiller

• Conservation First!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 09:28:51 AM »
Keep fishing Pawn Im sure you will get a  fshg soon!  :tite

Offline nico

• The original man (*)(*)
  • Cred: 47
  • Click above for cred!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 02:42:34 PM »
Very nice detailed advice there Travelmember, cred to you! Have you been out to the deep yet? Some odd reports off YF starting to show up? (sorry for the hijack)

Offline travelmember

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 06:23:37 PM »
Was out 4 weeks ago and got the first longfin, but have not been out since. I always seem to be flying somewhere! Am in OR Tambo now on way to Netherlands, then got provincial lifesaving with the kids on the weekend - hope to get out next week. 

Offline pawn

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 10:16:12 AM »
Thanks travelmember and WK I will keep the lines wet, As  they say "If at first you don't succeed skydiving is not for you." Will keep trying till we get results. :clwn

Offline WalkersKiller

• Conservation First!
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 10:20:09 AM »
As  they say "If at first you don't succeed skydiving is not for you."
:hyst:

Offline pawn

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 08:59:34 AM »
Had a three day pass to fishing bliss and what did I do??????  duh Saturday mini golf shopping and braai, Sunday guest chartering around the estuary and monday skiing and more skiing. So No Fishing....... What a gyp!!!!! Had no me time, I will have to hang on to the pass for further notice.  While skiing we had millions of fish  jumping in front of the boat and skier, how could we catch them, was all I could think about. I did not even know what they were but I wanted to catch them but there I was stuck with a skier behind me.  :nuts: A good weekend was had never the less. :ayb

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal