Author Topic: Fun on the Highveld  (Read 9880 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Fun on the Highveld
« on: February 06, 2011, 05:04:25 PM »
So after a lot of planning and long hours in the office I finally broke out last Thursday to go and visit school friends in the Dullstroom area over the weekend.

On planning the trip I was told to make sure I bring my trout rod as well...
What a question.

A friend let me fish on his dam of around 3.5 ha. Not very deep at the deepest point maybe 4 meters but this dam has a lot of grass with a lot of food and some good size fish have been caught in the past.

Friday I spend on the new Explorer Journey.

With an very cold east wind mist and soft rain at times I had no option but to anchor and work the deeper areas.

There were a couple of patches of water grass in the deep water making good structure and this is where I decided to target for trout feeding close to the deeper water.

After about 2 hours I finally connect with a trout. Got him quickly on to the reel and then the fish woke up on his 1st run he ran so hard I had an over wind on the reel and before I could clear it the 6lbs tippet popped .... :eek:

A few choice words was in the order of the day on this "appy" mistake.

Rest of the day nothing. Not a touch and the wind kept on blowing non stop. It really felt like a winter day in early Feb.

Saturday morning saw me on the water just after 07:00 after I had to go back to the house 10k's away cause I forget to load my wading boots and flippers ... :o

The easterly wind was still blowing and I moved out to the same spot where I lost the fish on Friday.

As I anchored and let out line lowly to get into casting distance I saw a nice fish feeding in the middle of the water grass ...

Decided to keep looking and see if he keeps on working the area and if he does I will cast a dry to him.

In the mean time I will work the deeper area's with the 4wt sinking line and an olive dragon.

2nd cast and I am "VAS" !!!

Determined not to make the same mistake as on Friday I got the fish on the reel and double checked to drag setting.

On one run he again created an over wind but I managed to clear it. I decided to let my palm also work on the reel to assist the drag.

After a couple of good runs the fly popped out... :eek: :eek:

Maybe not hooked good has I had a lot of good pressure on the line.

I worked the same area for a while without any success and decided to move around the grass island change to an olive Hammils Killer and started working the point area.

On the 2nd cast I let it go deep and as the retrieve started I got hit. Good fish and I quickly released the anchor and started following the fish and just in time as she went deep and picked up a lot of grass on the leader. Reached it and cleared the leader and the fight was on!!!

Finally got her to the tube and she was a beauty !!!

But as summer time there is not a lot of O2 in the water I could not revive her after working hard for more than 5 min's...

6.1lbs - 23 inch rainbow my trout PB...







Will post more photos tomorrow !!!

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Fun on the Highveld
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 05:05:36 PM »
Great report and awesome pics Gerhard!!  (clap)

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Fun on the Highveld
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 05:07:11 PM »
Great report and awesome pics Gerhard!!  (clap)

Thanks Boss.

Will ad some more tomorrow night

Offline fedu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 530
  • Cred: 70
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Luanda, Angola
Re: Fun on the Highveld
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 07:29:54 PM »
That is a stunning pic with all those greens  (clap)

Finally you had a chance to hit the water again I just hope 2011 will give you many many outings and fun both fishing or hunting :-)

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Fun on the Highveld
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 06:06:33 AM »
That is a stunning pic with all those greens  (clap)

Finally you had a chance to hit the water again I just hope 2011 will give you many many outings and fun both fishing or hunting :-)

Thanks Fedu,

If all goes according to plan I will be hunting trout and yellowfish with the rod a lot this year as well as a bit of bow hunting...  w;k

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fun on the Highveld
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 07:38:51 AM »
Super report Gerhard, that dam in the background looks awesome! I like the colouration on that rainbow, very few spots, and in super condition! Nice!

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Fun on the Highveld
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 07:42:01 AM »
Agree! Super pics! The rod standing on the rock is fantastic!

Nice fish too!
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Fun on the Highveld
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 08:15:51 AM »
Great stuff Gerhard thats a beaut of a Rainbow  (clap)

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Fun on the Highveld
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 08:46:47 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys,

Yea,

My 1st 6lbs trout and my goal for this year is a 10lbs slab of silver...

Here are a few photos as promised









olive dragon


Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Fun on the Highveld
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 08:18:17 AM »
Beautiful pictures Gerhard  :shk  :happ:

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Fun on the Highveld
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 08:25:24 AM »
Beautiful pictures Gerhard  :shk  :happ:

Thanks,

By the way to you gym at the Bedfortview Virgin Active?

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fun on the Highveld
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 08:31:58 AM »
Lekker Pic's Gerhard . What camera do you use ?

 :grk:

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Fun on the Highveld
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 08:32:02 AM »
 :lolo: Gerhard you wont believe this but 3 people have asked me this, apparently there is a guy who looks very similar to me that goes there because I dont go there, very strange  :cnfzd

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fun on the Highveld
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 08:33:30 AM »
:lolo: Gerhard you wont believe this but 3 people have asked me this, apparently there is a guy who looks very similar to me that goes there because I dont go there, very strange  :cnfzd

Evil twin ?  :hyst:

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Fun on the Highveld
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 08:36:12 AM »

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Fun on the Highveld
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 08:39:18 AM »
:lolo: Gerhard you wont believe this but 3 people have asked me this, apparently there is a guy who looks very similar to me that goes there because I dont go there, very strange  :cnfzd


ha ha ha ha

was wondering if we gonna have a fishing get together at the gym one of these days.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Fun on the Highveld
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 08:40:26 AM »
Lekker Pic's Gerhard . What camera do you use ?

 :grk:

Thanks,

I use a panasonic lumi pix and for the water shots a casio camera...

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Fun on the Highveld
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 08:45:04 AM »

ha ha ha ha

was wondering if we gonna have a fishing get together at the gym one of these days.
Haha bru im actually starting to get a bit scared of that guy because now 4 people, some of them know me quite well have asked whi I walked past them at the gym without saying hello!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal