Author Topic: Ultegra 14000  (Read 10949 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Angler21

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 571
  • Cred: 32
  • Location: Durban KZN
Ultegra 14000
« on: December 14, 2010, 03:51:07 PM »
Hey guys

Is anyone using the Shimano Ultegra 14000 for in-eds?

If so, please give an account of your experiences using this reel...

I am looking at " going back to basics" to enjoy the thrill more..

Thanks!! fshg

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Ultegra 14000
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 03:54:53 PM »
Noel,
Interesting. Now that will be a thrill of note !

Just as a matter of interest, whats the line capacity of that ?

Offline Angler21

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 571
  • Cred: 32
  • Location: Durban KZN
Re: Ultegra 14000
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 04:00:54 PM »
Hey Homie

I may be corrected on capacity but I guess its around 300mt or more...

I fished the recent common venue annual meet and there was another angler with this reel and a 1pc rod....this guy was throwing to Australia!!


Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Ultegra 14000
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 04:04:13 PM »
Will 300m be sufficient for in-eds ???

That, and the drag might be the only downfall ! But will never know unless you try !
I'll be following this !!!

Tight Lines !

Offline Action Man

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 432
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Ultegra 14000
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
I have been using it for the past 11 months and I must tell you it is very addictive. I no longer own a 20 sized reel anymore as I only use the grinder.

Line capacity is very good. I get 650m on the 14000 spool, thats 350m 50lb whiplash and 300m 50lb jigman x8. On the 10000 spool I have 600m of the 50lb HMP braid which I have been testing and it is actually exceeded my expectations. very nice indeed.

Fishing for in-eds with it is amazing, absolutely love and have caught some very good fish. Biggest being a 68kg spinner shark and a 60kg sandy next up. Countless amount of grey sharks, blue rays and diamonds.

I am going to be in P.E now and over the next 3 weeks am going to be fishing for Raggies with it so will get some pics to show you.

I can answer all the questions you need to know about fishing with this reel and for in-eds with the braid. Just give me a shout if you need more info.

Oh and my mate landed a 96kg honeycombe and a 70.3kg sandy on the grinder both took him under 25min to land.
A wise man once told me life is to short for ugly girls and cheap fishing tackle!

Offline Action Man

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 432
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Ultegra 14000
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 04:10:21 PM »
Will 300m be sufficient for in-eds ???

That, and the drag might be the only downfall ! But will never know unless you try !
I'll be following this !!!

Tight Lines !

The drag on the reel is phenonimal...you will pulled into the water if you lock the drag with a good fish...got a better drag than most machine reels
A wise man once told me life is to short for ugly girls and cheap fishing tackle!

Offline Angler21

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 571
  • Cred: 32
  • Location: Durban KZN
Re: Ultegra 14000
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 04:12:57 PM »
Wow Stef!!

Awesome stuff, will be calling on after your holiday to get more advice.

Thanks guys






Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Ultegra 14000
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 04:19:23 PM »
Now that is awesome !

Offline Action Man

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 432
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Ultegra 14000
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 04:28:13 PM »
Angler21 which club you fish for?
 Where did you fish the annual meet? might have been me you fish next to or my mate Kyle
A wise man once told me life is to short for ugly girls and cheap fishing tackle!

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Ultegra 14000
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 04:36:40 PM »
A/M... you catching sharks on straight braid on the 10000 - no mono topshot???  :shk Your arms must be getting longer!!

Offline Action Man

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 432
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Ultegra 14000
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 05:13:08 PM »
A/M... you catching sharks on straight braid on the 10000 - no mono topshot???  :shk Your arms must be getting longer!!

Reefz just wait till you try it bru, it is so addictive!
Ya catching on straight braid is awesome, bully the fish properly as it so direct!
I love it will never turn back
A wise man once told me life is to short for ugly girls and cheap fishing tackle!

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Ultegra 14000
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 05:28:40 PM »
@ Action Man what rod would you recommend with the Ultegra 14000 ?

Offline Action Man

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 432
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Ultegra 14000
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 09:51:19 PM »
@ Action Man what rod would you recommend with the Ultegra 14000 ?

There a couple nice rods to use and trust me when I say I have tried them all...

But the best rod iv used to date would have to be the T-Flex/6...stunning rod with a great action and lots of pulling power.

Have tried fishing with hmg rods but you have one bad cast and bang goes the tip. another nice rod is the Assassin medium Std with a heavy tip...that is the rod I used for a few months before i stumbled apon the T-flex.
A wise man once told me life is to short for ugly girls and cheap fishing tackle!

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Ultegra 14000
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 08:55:56 AM »
Mate of mine brought one the Ultegra 14000 along on our recent trip & that thing throw a mile and you can be super accurate with it. There was a big write up about it in one of the mags( cannot recall the name). It was on a springbok angler who was in search of a grinder to do the same job as multipliers or better & the ultegra is what they came up with.
If I was to do some R & S this would be the reel for me.

Offline Angler21

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 571
  • Cred: 32
  • Location: Durban KZN
Re: Ultegra 14000
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 10:10:54 AM »
Stef,

I fish for Great White Shore Angling...with Mahen and Mark and crew...

I fished Boulders...where did you and Kyle Simpson fish?

Offline Jakes

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 798
  • Cred: 20
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cary, North Carolina, USA
Re: Ultegra 14000
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 10:36:25 AM »
Stef,

I fish for Great White Shore Angling...with Mahen and Mark and crew...

I fished Boulders...where did you and Kyle Simpson fish?

Good thing that's a club name and not a past time ...  w;k
“Success is a journey, not a destination”
Ben Sweetland

Offline Angler21

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 571
  • Cred: 32
  • Location: Durban KZN
Re: Ultegra 14000
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 01:10:29 PM »
 duh

Never thought about it that way Jakes!! :hehe:

Offline Action Man

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 432
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Ultegra 14000
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 04:15:11 PM »
Kyle fished green point and scotties and I fished stiebel and scotties
A wise man once told me life is to short for ugly girls and cheap fishing tackle!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal