0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
The Archipelago is a HMG rod so its light.. Go with the 11ft. I have the 12ft and its lighter than my old brand new Assassin Spin 12ft which I have since sold.Your old brand new rod you say? I have a BG in larger size and have no complaints so far.
Ok good to know the Archipelago comes in a 1-3oz version. I'll be on the hunt for one to give it a feelHaha problem with specials is we never know when the specials will happen again and we want our tackle NOW . With my line of work, it's pretty likely that I'll be away working in some funny place when there's a specialI've done some pretty extensive reading on the Daiwa BG and Okuma Azores. I looked at Alan Hawk's service and review on the BG. He rates it top of the budget reels, with the Azores coming second. I see in the USA, the BG and Azores are priced similar to each other, at about $110 each. Here in SA the BG goes for about a grand more than the Azores.... That leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth...Not committed to reel yet though, just putting my thoughts on paper, but if I can't justify the expense of the Stradic, I'll second guess the BG due to feeling that the Azores is in the same class as the BG, but at a better price
Quote from: emjay on June 22, 2018, 05:30:12 PMOk good to know the Archipelago comes in a 1-3oz version. I'll be on the hunt for one to give it a feelHaha problem with specials is we never know when the specials will happen again and we want our tackle NOW . With my line of work, it's pretty likely that I'll be away working in some funny place when there's a specialI've done some pretty extensive reading on the Daiwa BG and Okuma Azores. I looked at Alan Hawk's service and review on the BG. He rates it top of the budget reels, with the Azores coming second. I see in the USA, the BG and Azores are priced similar to each other, at about $110 each. Here in SA the BG goes for about a grand more than the Azores.... That leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth...Not committed to reel yet though, just putting my thoughts on paper, but if I can't justify the expense of the Stradic, I'll second guess the BG due to feeling that the Azores is in the same class as the BG, but at a better priceBG is an awesome reel. But lower down on retrieve than the Stradic. You won’t go wrong with it. I would give the Okuma a skip cos I personally don’t believe it’s in the class of the BG and will never be..
I know the Stradic has been suggested as the only reel to look at, but any views on the Daiwa BG reels? I see a helleva lot of good reviews on them on the net. I understand the 3000 size BG is very similar to the 5000 size Stradic. Apparently a good reel that punches harder than what the price suggests. If I get a BG it will be a grand cheaper than the Stradic
What is the final verdict on your combo?
Quote from: Umpa Lumpa on July 17, 2018, 07:44:00 AMWhat is the final verdict on your combo?Howzit. Going with a secondhand Assassin Spin 1 to 2oz with the KR Concept guide upgradeUndecided on the reel. Have heard some mixed reports on the Daiwa BG. Some think it's the next best thing since 2 ply toilet paper, others think it's terrible, but most give it a positive review. Alan Hawk thinks its great and built well Stradic is unfortunately out of my budget. Would love one, but that extra 1k for it would stretch me out a bit too muchOkuma Azores 40 looks tempting. I like how it's built, I like the price, It's received good reports but also some bad ones. Seems to have the same rating on Amazon reviews as the Daiwa BG, but I'll take those reviews with a huge spoon of salt because a lot of those people unbox the reel, spin the hand seven times and rush to the computer to write a review saying its awesome. That goes for most reviews of most things unfortunately. I personally like Okuma grinders and own two, one of them is 9 years old and has served me well as an estuary and bass reel. It's a Cimeron 30. The other is a Ceymar 65 that was actually found at the bottom of the sea by my friend while we went spearfishing. Must've been lying there for no more than a couple of days, if that, but I stripped it down to the last screw and gave it a good service. It's my beater surf reel and has been drenched a few times while wading to rocks. Still smooth and running well, although it hasn't been used that much and I've only had it for a yearLike the Shimano Sahara as well. It's price is good, has a nice fast retrieve, but apparently it lacks some power when trying to reel a fish in, however I don't winch fish in, I use the rod to pull the fish so that won't be a problem for meShimano Symetre is also a reel I'd considerUltimately I want to put the reel on the rod first before making a purchaseWith regards to braid, I've been advised to get Grinder 8x braid. I'll go for the 20lb version
I went with the Daiwa BG 3000. It just felt the best to me. I will be loading it with 20lb Grinder braid.
So on Saturday I went to go play with some reels in the tackle shops. Tried a Shimano Sahara, Nasci, Sedona, Okuma Azores and Daiwa BG3000. I went with the Daiwa BG 3000. It just felt the best to me. I will be loading it with 20lb Grinder braid. Busy awaiting delivery of my rod. Cannot wait to get this setup out and into the surf!Thanks all for helping me out here