Author Topic: Knysna Estuary Combo  (Read 3068 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline marshy

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 19
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
Knysna Estuary Combo
« on: November 14, 2017, 05:28:02 PM »
Hi all!


Yes me again  :blush:  so one more query about a setup up. I'm heading down to Knysna for a few weeks over December, and I plan do do a bit of fishing in the lagoon and river. Going to look to target Grunter, Kob, Garrick, and whatever else comes my way hahaha. Will be using bloodworm, livebait, and will also look to try my hand at some spinning.


It's been a long year so I've decided that I owe it to myself to get a new fishing setup.


Part 1


So I'm looking for the following:
  • Rod - budget of +- R1000
  • Reel - budget of +- R2000
As some of you know, I was looking recently into a Tiger setup, and got looking at the Daiwa BG3000, and a few Rods (Shimano Crucial Tiger, Sensation Power Plus Tiger Edition, etc)


Would the Daiwa be overkill for my application? Also, would the Crucial Tiger fit the bill and should I just spring the extra cash for it? I've also been looking at the Shimano Convergence?


Also what length and action should I be looking at? Medium? Medium-Heavy?


Part 2


I'm looking to put together a little setup for trawling being the boat with liveys and lures. I've already got a Shimano TR100G that I'm keen to use, but what rod should I pair it with?


Thanks in advance!


Marshy


 :tkx:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 05:30:25 PM by marshy »

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Knysna Estuary Combo
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 07:58:24 AM »
Hi Marshy,

Part 1, the Shimano Nexave is quite good and is around R650 I think... Pair it with a Sienna 4000, nice little cheap reel. Just make sure you "clean it up" after each sesh.

With regards to part 2, look at the Berkley Cherrywood, they have a range of sizes from 4 foot to 10 foot. Off the boat wouldnt use anything above 6'6. That reel is perfect.


Offline marshy

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 19
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: Knysna Estuary Combo
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 09:55:12 AM »
With regards to part 2, look at the Berkley Cherrywood, they have a range of sizes from 4 foot to 10 foot. Off the boat wouldnt use anything above 6'6. That reel is perfect.

Hi WK!

Thanks for the input! With regards to the rod for trawling, what strength should I look for? MH, H, or XH?

Thanks again!

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Knysna Estuary Combo
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 10:01:51 AM »
I have only ever trolled with MH, but I am a super light fishing angler... For those kob, I reckon H would be fine. Also because you can then use it for other applications. But if a 25kg kob picks you up you might want an XH handy...

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Knysna Estuary Combo
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 01:41:07 PM »
Trevala for trolling setup? Got a 6'6" MH Casting that I'm thinking of parting with  :-)


For the estuary stick, go light (I love my little Scimitars) and double up with the BG3000
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline marshy

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 19
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: Knysna Estuary Combo
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 08:22:55 AM »
So I bought the BG3000 yesterday or the princely sum of R1836 from Kings :dwa: :fshn:

Now just to get the rod!

Offline marshy

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 19
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: Knysna Estuary Combo
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 09:39:26 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with the Assassin Sabre or Tempest? And for estuary fishing, should I Medium Heavy be fine or should  I rather look at a medium?

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal