Author Topic: AG Chain Knot  (Read 6413 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
AG Chain Knot
« on: June 24, 2017, 08:33:31 AM »
Easy and quick to tie and apparently very strong. Anyone using it?

http://youtu.be/ezmzjoXmtzg
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: AG Chain Knot
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 10:21:50 AM »
I see it's just a double turn round the terminal and then a pile of back to back (alternated) half hitches... Simple enough. Going to test it against my favourites, the Centauri and Fig 8. I shall report back  :dunno:
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: AG Chain Knot
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 12:14:57 PM »
Hmmm interesting and simple knot! Must try this. Tx for sharing Marcos.

Offline Vandit

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 85
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: AG Chain Knot
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 07:47:49 AM »
Been using this knot exclusively for my 15-30lb outfits for the last year.  You cant beat it if you are tying to something with a smaller diameter than your leader e.g. I tie 0.6mm Double X Shock leader (fluoro coated mono) to no. 5 or no.4 power swivels.  Also a very good looking knot.  Bought a tube scale capable of peak hold - here are some results for the stated line to no. 5 power swivel:


6 Turn Uni             - 9-10kg
Trilene (8 Turn)     - 11-13kg
Polamar                - 11-14kg
AG Chain              - 17-18kg


Not a soft knot on my teeth though, has to be pulled progressively tighter with each half-hitch ±8 times.  Is suspect that the AG knot will be average when the wire diameter you tie to is equal or larger than your line diameter.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 07:53:04 AM by Vandit »

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: AG Chain Knot
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 09:05:01 AM »
Thanks Vandit... That's some quality info there  :+ cred:


Spent quite some time thinking about this knot last night. Basically the ideal knot should require a progressive clamping down on the mainline by the tag end components so that the load is not borne at the first point of turn in the mainline. If this can be achieved by progressive slippage of the knots, so much the better. The FG is a great example of this (except that it's a line to line connection rather than a terminal, but the principle applies). The chain knot obviously requires very tightly tied half-hitches all the way up the mainline in order to perform well since the tag end components tightness will not increase as the tension on the line increases.


I can see my next few evenings spent in my own personal little Knot Wars.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Timothy Scriven

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 500
  • Cred: 27
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Auckland New Zealand
Re: AG Chain Knot
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 09:17:19 AM »
Use it here on the stickbaits and hasn't failed yet.

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: AG Chain Knot
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 11:37:23 AM »



looks very simple lots of lub needed


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaUBHjFfGIc
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal