Author Topic: Plett advice- non secret spots  (Read 7726 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline rockspider

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 146
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockspider/
  • Location: London, UK from Brakpan, SA
Plett advice- non secret spots
« on: October 09, 2016, 10:36:58 PM »
Good evening guys and girls,


Please can you advise me on fishing in Plett?


 I am not after secret spots etc just advice on my tackle selection. I will we there for only a few days with sunrise/sunset fishing inbetween spending time with family in early November.


Due to the constraints of air travel and time I won't be able to take all the necessary kit. I have my late grandfathers rods, my late fathers rods and my old rods :)


I intend to take an ABU 6500 (30lb or 20lb fire line) and a 5500 (14lb fire line) . If need be I am happy to spool the 2500/1500 with line too. 6500 and 5500 matched with a Berkeley Air. I have tried to attach a photo of a broad selection of lures I have  but have been unsuccessful. Please advise on what I should bring down or whether I should bring lures at all.


It has been years since I fished Plett and I am hoping to use the Berkeley to cast along the beach as we got for family walks, however, could i use the reels on a 12-14ft rod to cast a sard/ chokka for the non family walks?
My wife wants me to fish but I can't spend all my time fishing :(


Not intending to fish for non eds with my setup , I appreciate any reiteratation relating to seasonal catches / allowed catches  etc.


I am looking to buy a multipiece beachcaster as all my rods in Joburg are one piece and given the limited time in Plett, I have decided not to courier anything down. We will be staying on Beachyhead drive , BI side.


Any advice greatly appreciated and reciprocated with a jaunt on a Hertfordshire chalk stream if you visit Mud Island.


Eug



« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 11:01:10 PM by rockspider »

Offline rockspider

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 146
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockspider/
  • Location: London, UK from Brakpan, SA
Re: Plett advice- non secret spots
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 08:32:34 PM »
Any advice is welcome , it will help me pack efficiently and cast with confidence


Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Plett advice- non secret spots
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 08:40:07 AM »
Rockspider I am not an expert on Plett having only been there once over the years however Ill try and suggest a couple of spots to try

First would be the rocks to the right of the Beacon Isle hotel. Nice deep water which should have some shad lurking around.

The other nearby spot is Lookout rocks on Lookout Beach. Also deep water for some shad lurking closer in.

The beach between Beacon Rocks and Robberg seemed fairly uniform and featureless when I was there so I'm not sure how much success you will have there. Then again I have only been there once and pretty useless at reading the water :blush:

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Plett advice- non secret spots
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 08:40:38 AM »
Shoot just realized shad are in closed season until the 1st of December duh

Offline rockspider

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 146
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockspider/
  • Location: London, UK from Brakpan, SA
Re: Plett advice- non secret spots
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 11:23:05 AM »
Thank you Half-Pint , it is a pity I will miss the shad season but will have a go for other species, will be nice to just have a cast and enjoy the scenery.

Will check open/closed season to insure I know what I can target.

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Plett advice- non secret spots
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 01:20:56 PM »
You can also try for kob from lookout to Keurbooms.
If you want to scratch for reef fish then try from keurbooms east towards natures valley. I am not sure how accessible it is but I have heard good things about kranshoek, just be prepared for the climb down.

Also no fly gear? cause the keurbooms river is great for garick! you can chuck a plug or plastic at them if you are lazy  w;k
Squid Happens!

Offline rockspider

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 146
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockspider/
  • Location: London, UK from Brakpan, SA
Re: Plett advice- non secret spots
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 12:55:10 PM »
Thank IC  :toppie:

Would love to throw a fly but my time is so limited  , I am only taking limited tackle.
Last time I visited Struis I couriered everything down in advance :)

Offline rockspider

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 146
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockspider/
  • Location: London, UK from Brakpan, SA
Re: Plett advice- non secret spots
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 11:11:08 PM »
Thank you for all the advice, booked Shawn May. Spoke to him briefly yesterday, what an accomodating guy. Looking forward to fishing with him.


Please let me know what you think of my lure selection for Plett for Nov, mostly going to be gooing from the beach using Berkeley Air's and Reels mentioned above but have 30/20/14/10lb Berkeley fireline loaded.



« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 11:19:18 PM by rockspider »

Offline PatrickH

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 116
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Be the difference you want to see
  • Location: Cape Town Western Cape
Re: Plett advice- non secret spots
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 08:54:23 PM »
Abu Toby 40g sardine colour as well as Kingfisher 1V spoon are a must for shad

Offline Visenvryheid

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 456
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing and freedom! Thank the Almighty!
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Plett advice- non secret spots
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 09:24:06 AM »
Looks like you are going to have a hard time deciding which lure to use! Whats your email, I'm not allowed to PM ? Can you take a better pic of the lower ones..I'll try help.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Plett advice- non secret spots
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 02:29:15 PM »
Looks like you are going to have a hard time deciding which lure to use! Whats your email, I'm not allowed to PM ? Can you take a better pic of the lower ones..I'll try help.


Why not post here on the forum, kind of the whole point of the forum and exactly why PM privileges don't exist for new members duh

Offline fishatic

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 500
  • Cred: 14
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Randpark Ridge, Johannesburg
Re: Plett advice- non secret spots
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 02:04:42 PM »
I'll mark up a google earth image for some nice light tackle spots. Fish are not big but it can be a heap of fun.

Offline rockspider

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 146
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockspider/
  • Location: London, UK from Brakpan, SA
Re: Plett advice- non secret spots
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 07:42:25 PM »
Thank you, excited to wet a line. Been 20 years since i was last there

Offline Visenvryheid

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 456
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing and freedom! Thank the Almighty!
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Plett advice- non secret spots
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 01:48:54 AM »
Are you landing in PE? If so I suggest going past the alcocks and getting some of their tin 2 and 1.5oz spoons and putting abouts a 4/0 inline single on with oval ring and get some swannel quickclips while you are there, between a keel and their other one I'd rather bring 5 of each rather than all of those lures top and bottom pic.. ;) Pity no-one took the bait.

Alcocks also do/stock? a wicked stainless toby and that would be lure choice #3.. the rocks around beacon isle have good shad in the evenings, leeries should be in full force at that time on the beaches, look for a rip, baby leeries and large shad full up too in the river, clean up where you can as it can be a mess and please release all your breeding stock..have fun.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 01:59:00 AM by Visenvryheid »

Offline rockspider

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 146
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockspider/
  • Location: London, UK from Brakpan, SA
Re: Plett advice- non secret spots
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 10:56:55 AM »
Thank you Vis,

Will try go past Alcocks. Planning on releasing all the fish. Will take some chokka and shards :)
Being a family holiday need to limit my goodies bag.
It is a real shame when guys don't clean up.

Meeting Shawn Mey on Wednesday.



Offline Visenvryheid

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 456
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing and freedom! Thank the Almighty!
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Plett advice- non secret spots
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2016, 11:33:25 AM »
"Whats your email, I'm not allowed to PM ?"

Mean't that bait..You'll notice there is not a lot of info on public forums about your intended area, think it's by chance? ;)

Offline Psy

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 198
  • Cred: 5
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Bathurst EC
Re: Plett advice- non secret spots
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 12:38:10 AM »
Rockspider.....this time of the year the water is lekker flat, with minimum waves and wind.
Try to get yourself to Lookout rocks early, before the sun rises...that is around 04:00...and hit the beach area toward the lagoon mouth and Keurbooms going East, along the sand.
Take your plugs/baits and chase steenbras; kob; bellman in the shallows.

 :tite
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Offline rockspider

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 146
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockspider/
  • Location: London, UK from Brakpan, SA
Re: Plett advice- non secret spots
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2016, 11:49:52 PM »
Thank you Psy, will give it a bash.
Challenging myself to use my Berkeley 9ft Ross for bait as well :)

Offline Psy

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 198
  • Cred: 5
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Bathurst EC
Re: Plett advice- non secret spots
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2016, 12:35:22 AM »
Thank you Psy, will give it a bash.
Challenging myself to use my Berkeley 9ft Ross for bait as well :)

fy info.... big steenbras landed there over the past day!!  :tite
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Offline rockspider

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 146
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockspider/
  • Location: London, UK from Brakpan, SA
Re: Plett advice- non secret spots
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2016, 08:35:33 PM »
Hi Guys,


Thank you for the advice and tips.
Spent a day with Shawn Mey, what a good day it was. Sea was large but we managed to tag and release a few species of sharks.


Spent some time on my own fishing off the rocks once the sea had calmed and at along the beach. Amazing sunrises, birds other flora.


Had a wonderful time in Plett and highly recommend Shawn, a knowledgable, patient gentleman.


Tight lines
Eug

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal